Transmission woes on an '07 Edge

Sammyg

I am new here to this site and made my introduction earlier this morning. I found this site while trying to research the web for transmission troubles on the Ford Edge. We have a 2007 model Edge SEL Plus, it has approximately 55,000 miles showing on the odometer.We bought this vehicle in January of 2007 not to long after they were introduced. This is my wife's vehicle I hardly ever drive it. I just wanted to see if any one here has experienced the same issues we are having. I have read alot of the threads on transmission woes here and did not see anything like what we are experiencing. The problem started a couple of months ago,what it does is it slams into gear only when shifting to reverse. The transmission does not slip and shifts fine when driving. Nothing unusual about it unless you need to shift into reverse. Then there will be a hesitation and then it bangs real hard into gear ,most of the time it is hard enough to make you think you have hit something. My wife has found that if she shifts to neutral and brings the RPM's up a bit then lets it settle down she can then shift to reverse without it slamming into gear. Sorry if this has been a long post but I was just looking to see if anyone else here has run into this type of problem.

Thanks, Sam

Edited by Sammyg

• 1 month later...

I am new here to this site and made my introduction earlier this morning. I found this site while trying to research the web for transmission troubles on the Ford Edge. We have a 2007 model Edge SEL Plus, it has approximately 55,000 miles showing on the odometer.We bought this vehicle in January of 2007 not to long after they were introduced. This is my wife's vehicle I hardly ever drive it. I just wanted to see if any one here has experienced the same issues we are having. I have read alot of the threads on transmission woes here and did not see anything like what we are experiencing. The problem started a couple of months ago,what it does is it slams into gear only when shifting to reverse. The transmission does not slip and shifts fine when driving. Nothing unusual about it unless you need to shift into reverse. Then there will be a hesitation and then it bangs real hard into gear ,most of the time it is hard enough to make you think you have hit something. My wife has found that if she shifts to neutral and brings the RPM's up a bit then lets it settle down she can then shift to reverse without it slamming into gear. Sorry if this has been a long post but I was just looking to see if anyone else here has run into this type of problem.

Thanks, Sam

I have the exact same problem with my 2007 Edge. I was wondering if you ever got any feedback or had the problem fixed at the dealership.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Sammyg; Bulldog,

find anything out? I also have a 2007 Edge and having the same problem.... only in reverse... when I try to take it to dealer it wont do it... seems like i need to be parked in a slight slant downward.... where the car really has to try to reverse... if I am on flat surface it can just roll then the car relizes I am wanting to go into reverse and goes... but if i have to hit the gas sounds like I hit a ton of bricks... I am soooo tried of it! happy to hear your wife found a way around it.... I will see if this gets me out of a pickle :)

Please let me know something soon before I do somethign dumb like tade it!

Sounds like a worn TQ brace to me. Going into reverse is when you would most notice it. It looks like a rubber brace that may go over the engine, or is attached somewhere. The rubber insert wears out, gets brittle with age, etc. Any Ford dealership should automatically check for this problem. 50,000-60,000 miles is about when you might notice it.

The reason I'm not sure is because I can't recall if your vehicle has one. The other 3.5 vehicles, not Edge, I have owned do have them. The normal test is to see if it "clunks" hard when going into reverse.

It could be called by some different terms. I believe our vehicles have an engine mounting system. Probably some TQ dampening rubber parts in the engine mount system. A tip to me was when you said shifting to neutral to let engine calm down before shifting to reverse sometimes helps. So sounds like a problem in the engine mounting system to me.

With hood up.......watching....when you shift car from dr to reverse....how much does the engine move?

Edited by RJG