Uncomfortable Seats

mov

I recently purchased a used 2009 Ford Edge SEL with upholstered seats. I initially liked the seats because they did have protruding lumbar supports that many of the newer cars do. However, after riding in the car for a while I have found all of the seats to have a pressure point that runs across the seat back (left/right). It seems to be just above the seam in the upper middle portion of the seat back When I sit in the seat (front or back) it feels like there is a bar running across the seat. The result is that most of the pressure from my weight against the seat falls in that area ( a lot like a hide-a-bed with the bar running across it) and my upper back (below the shoulder blades) hurts. My father-in-law used to design seats for GMC and he suggested that it might be fabric tie downs in the seat. I pressed in the area with my fingers, and in the back seats it feels like a wire is running acrss the seat back. When I try that on the passenger side I can feel to hard objects just above the seam line and almost lined up with the head rest bars. I haven;t found anything seat by feeling around, but it feels the same when I sit in it. I am probably taller than average at 6'3" and that may be part of the problem. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have a fix? Or does anyone know how to take the panel off the seat back so that I can look an see what is going on inside the seat back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds like the lumbar setting is set to firm. Try loosening it up & that pressure point should go away.

I have adjusted the lumbar support and that does help some. However, even with the lumbar fully off, I still feel pressure at the seam in the middle of the seat back. I also feel it in the other front seat which does not have the adjustable lumbar.

Thanks.

Well we just purchased an 07 SEL (about 3 weeks ago) and we drove it this weekend on a trip from Baltimore to NYC. 5+ hrs and not a complaint on the seats or head rests. Can't seem to figure out what all the hub bub is about.

I am jealous. Can I ask how tall you are? My wife also finds both the seat and the head rest very comfortable and she is shorter than me at about 5'8'.

How about some fluffy seat covers? Mmaybe get a memory foam mattress pad and cut a piece the shape of the back of the seat and put under a fluffy seat cover. I think I am one of the few that finds the seats to be just fine, headrest seat and all. I have the cloth also.

That is one of the options I am going to pursue. I want to check with a custom seat place by where I work first. I am very interested to see what is going on inside the seat, back and I bet that they will know how to quickly pop the panel off of the back of the seat back so I can look inside.

I'm 6'2" and my gf is 5'8 and we both find them very comfortable.

Even more so than the Recaro seats in my previous car.

Being 6'2" do you raise the headrest so that you are against the flat part of it, not fighting the top where it angles toward your head? I think this is what people complain about and why it moves up and down so that it is positioned correctly.

Being 6'2" do you raise the headrest so that you are against the flat part of it, not fighting the top where it angles toward your head? I think this is what people complain about and why it moves up and down so that it is positioned correctly.

When I do put my head against the headrest (which is maybe 5% of time) it is against the middle of the headrest.

I guess I don't have an issue with it because I usually don't position my head all the way back.

• 4 months later...

I recently purchased a used 2009 Ford Edge SEL with upholstered seats. I initially liked the seats because they did have protruding lumbar supports that many of the newer cars do. However, after riding in the car for a while I have found all of the seats to have a pressure point that runs across the seat back (left/right). It seems to be just above the seam in the upper middle portion of the seat back When I sit in the seat (front or back) it feels like there is a bar running across the seat. The result is that most of the pressure from my weight against the seat falls in that area ( a lot like a hide-a-bed with the bar running across it) and my upper back (below the shoulder blades) hurts. My father-in-law used to design seats for GMC and he suggested that it might be fabric tie downs in the seat. I pressed in the area with my fingers, and in the back seats it feels like a wire is running acrss the seat back. When I try that on the passenger side I can feel to hard objects just above the seam line and almost lined up with the head rest bars. I haven;t found anything seat by feeling around, but it feels the same when I sit in it. I am probably taller than average at 6'3" and that may be part of the problem. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have a fix? Or does anyone know how to take the panel off the seat back so that I can look an see what is going on inside the seat back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just bought a 2010 MKX three days ago & am experiencing upper back pain, also. I'm only 5'4" & have leather seats, but can't seem to get the driver's side seat adjusted to a point where I don't have upper back pain after getting out of the vehicle. I called the dealership owner Mon. after purchasing at the end of day Saturday to see if he would have mercy & stop the registration from being transferred. He very rudely informed me it had already been transferred & merely suggested I "just set it like the passenger seat, they both have the same settings available". No...really? What alternative does anyone have when they realize they've made a HUGE mistake & can't drive their new car without being in pain afterward?

Just bought a 2010 MKX three days ago & am experiencing upper back pain, also. I'm only 5'4" & have leather seats, but can't seem to get the driver's side seat adjusted to a point where I don't have upper back pain after getting out of the vehicle. I called the dealership owner Mon. after purchasing at the end of day Saturday to see if he would have mercy & stop the registration from being transferred. He very rudely informed me it had already been transferred & merely suggested I "just set it like the passenger seat, they both have the same settings available". No...really? What alternative does anyone have when they realize they've made a HUGE mistake & can't drive their new car without being in pain afterward?

Get an upholstery shop to fix it for you.

I've previously read many negative comments regarding the Edge seats/headrests. Until about 1 month or so ago, I truly had no complaints w/ seats; I thought they were fine (actually comfortable), and didn't understand why so many people had issue w/ the seats. My wife thinks they're fine...she's also short (5' nothing..or there abouts). Then again, this is my wife's car, and I typically don't drive it. (Her Edge is a 2009 Limited AWD, leather seats. if that matters).

Approx. a month or so ago, I did take the Edge on a 3+ hour trip (one way). I now better understand atleast some of the concerns voiced about the seats; it does seem as if the headrest is tilted a bit too far forward, and I did experience some head/neck discomfort (I may be understating it a bit). I did figure out if I reclined the seat just a bit, the headrest became less of an issue/seat became more comfortable.

To those having discomfort w/ the headrests, you may try reclining the seat just a bit...I found it to help.

On a separate note, the bottom (or 'seat' part) of the seat (probably not describing it very well) seems to be a bit short for my legs (I'm about 6'0"); my thighs are do not seem to be fully supported but again, my wife has no complaints. I sometimes think this car may have been designed more for women than men (short seats, headrest positioning, no supercharger :shades: ,...)

Good luck.

Taller drivers have to raise the headrest so that they are not leaning against the top edge that tilts forward.

Actually since my last post I found having my head lay against the top of the headrest is the most comfortable.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

My 2008 SEL has leather seats. It is my daily driver. The wife and I are both 5'9" tall. This is the most comfortable car seats we have had in any car that we have owned. We have taken long car rides (5+hrs) and still feel good. Now the wife's 2007 Camry is a different matter. After long car rides, both of us feel like we have been riding in a buckboard covered wagon.

We test drove a 2009 SEL with cloth seats and neither one of us liked the feel or comfort of them. It seemed like completely different seats even though they were identical to my 2008 SEL seats except for being cloth. I guess the leather made all the difference. As others have stated, it is all a matter of preference and getting the seat adjusted to ones liking.