SP Performance Slotted Front Rotors

Ackman70

is it odd, or normal, to run just a front pair with no rear pair? so if you bought these, would you still need to then buy a set for the rear?

did you install the ones you do have yourself? if so, any other changes you must make to accommodate these?

what difference do you actually feel, notice?

One could run these without the matching rears since the front does most of the braking anyhow. I installed these on my '08 at all four corners with their recommended pads. The braking is night and day over the stock parts. The brakes seems to "bite" now and stop much better.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.topbrakes.com/carSeriesDetails.php?car_id=7125&series=SP%20Performance%20Slotted%20Rotors%20%28Pair%29

Link above is the description. They are brand new in the box. They fit front wheel drive Edges. I have these on one of my Edge's and the difference over the OEM crap is amazing. I will sell for $195 shipped.

Ackman70@aol.com

Are they still available?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

SOOOoooooo,... update evereyone. The rotors Ackman sold me are garbage.... been on my edge less than a month, and are already heat spotted, warped, the whole nine yards. I step on the breaks, and the vehicle shakes and sounds like i'm driving over grooved concrete.

I guess it's true what they say,... ya get what ya pay for. I will say this tho.... the rotors looked brand spanking new when i got them, so i doubt (?) Ackman knew these would be an issue. Just giving everyone a heads up, do NOT buy these rotors if you see them else where on the net!!!!!

Cannon

Stock rotors go back on tomorrow.... :(

SOOOoooooo,... update evereyone. The rotors Ackman sold me are garbage.... been on my edge less than a month, and are already heat spotted, warped, the whole nine yards. I step on the breaks, and the vehicle shakes and sounds like i'm driving over grooved concrete.

I guess it's true what they say,... ya get what ya pay for. I will say this tho.... the rotors looked brand spanking new when i got them, so i doubt (?) Ackman knew these would be an issue. Just giving everyone a heads up, do NOT buy these rotors if you see them else where on the net!!!!!

Cannon

Stock rotors go back on tomorrow.... :(

That sucks man.

I helped a member on here find a way to get 2011 slotted rotors. I suggested he buy from the dealer and have them custom cut at R1Concepts

Feels like your seller knew he was getting rid of junk...

Most likely Cal,.. but ya know,.. like they always say, you get what you pay for. My brake guy is suppose to call me today with a price on REAL slotted rotors,.. if it's a good deal, then i'll replace with that, other wise the stock rotors go back on with upgraded pads. So we'll see.

Canno

From my experience and from reading up on this subject, slotted and drilled rotors offer only two advantages. 1. They weigh less and 2. They look cool.

But their reduced mass actually makes them less competent as a brake component. There is a good reason why you don't see these on race cars.

I find the OEM rotors are up to the job and replacing the stock pads with high end Bendix ceramic pads will better the performance of stock Ford pads for every day use.

From my experience and from reading up on this subject, slotted and drilled rotors offer only two advantages. 1. They weigh less and 2. They look cool.

But their reduced mass actually makes them less competent as a brake component. There is a good reason why you don't see these on race cars.

I find the OEM rotors are up to the job and replacing the stock pads with high end Bendix ceramic pads will better the performance of stock Ford pads for every day use.

I beg to differ. Slotted rotors allow pads to off-gas their adhesives and also keep the pad surface even for a longer period by sweeping the contact area. Not much weight lost (what is lost is negligible) and honestly, you don't want to lose too much mass as the iron acts as a heat sink drawing heat from the pads and fluid, allowing them to radiate their heat and cool.

AND.....lots of racing teams / leagues use slotted rotors including NASCAR:

MPCBrakeRotorCoolerDetail1233730033.jpg

2001%20JGTC%20Xanavi%20Xanavi%20brake%20discs.jpg

For the most part, slotted rotors on street cars are just for looks, since the rotors are never brought up to a high enough temp, to where the slotting is needed for venting and cooling.

I on the other hand, have a back road i to take to Vegas. It is curvy as heck, And even with traction control disabled, it still kicks in non stop from me throwing my little bread box thru the twisties as fast as possible can. I brake VERY aggressively and enjoy a very spirited drive on that back road. I believe i fully utilize the function of a slotted or drilled rotor during those little stints.

But your correct in that a good set of after market pads will usually do the trick. And that is where my current set up is, as of today. As for my old crappy slotted rotors i just took off,.... well, we're gonna find out how well they hold up to a 30-06 round :)

Cannon

I bought ebc slotted/dimpled rotors for my sport trac and had them cryo-treated before installation. I added ebc greenstuff pads and it would stop in half the distance of the oems. I drive a little aggressively, so it was a needed upgrade. It has 52k miles right now and my 4th set of tires went on in January, but still on my first set of rotors...

I bought ebc slotted/dimpled rotors for my sport trac and had them cryo-treated before installation. I added ebc greenstuff pads and it would stop in half the distance of the oems. I drive a little aggressively, so it was a needed upgrade. It has 52k miles right now and my 4th set of tires went on in January, but still on my first set of rotors...

You mind me asking where you had them cryo'd?