Driving impressions – first ”road trip” in the 2010 Edge – Houston to Orlando round trip

Took the first road trip in the 2010 Edge 2,000 mile round trip from Houston, Texas to Orlando, FL. Wanted to share my impressions with yall.

A little background. The Edge is my spouses vehicle we purchased the Edge (May 2010) to replace a 2004 Honda Odyssey EXL minivan that my spouse has driven since new. The vehicle I drive everyday is a 2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew. Ive owned a few Ford trucks over the past 10+ years. The Edge will be driven primarily by my spouse around town (Houston).

This was a family road trip 4 people (2 adults, 2 teenagers) taking 10 days away from home (NOT the Griswolds heading out to Wally World :)…). We planned the trip to take 2 days each way a stop somewhere in the middle on each leg of the trip.

My overall impressions The Edge is a nice, comfortable cruiser on the highway. Was easily able to drive 3 hour +/- stretches between stops. Seats are firm and supportive. Never had any pain/discomfort in my back or legs (Im 6-1). No complaints from the wife (shes 5-2). The seats were nice as either driver or passenger for both of us. We could find a comfortable position in either seat. The kids found other things to complain about in the back didnt seem to whine about being uncomfortable. Cabin is quiet enjoyed the uninterrupted Sirius radio coverage.

Plenty of power to pass around slower moving traffic (Semis, buses, motorhomes, etc). Not a lot of wind buffeting. Transmission shifted smoothly. Nice and quiet at highway speeds.

Mileage: I was happy with the mileage on the trip. I calculated the mileage at each fillup (NOT using the trip computer). Ranged from a low of 21.6 MPG to a high of just short of 23 MPG. Most of the time on the highway was between 75 and 80 MPH (maybe a little higher...), running the AC (ambient temp of 90 deg F+++), with 4 passengers and a full load of luggage. Not bad figure it will get a little better with a few more miles on it.

Luggage room was a little tight (Im use to having more space in the minivan or my F150…) but we were able to take 10 days worth of stuff comfortably (2 adults, 2 teens) in the Edge. I realize I was giving up space moving from the minivan…just need to plan a little better and pack smarter.

The Edge is a good fit for our family at this time in our lives. Enough room for the 4 of us, well equipped and comfortable. Im satisfied with my purchase.

Edited by StrongWind

Took the first road trip in the 2010 Edge – 2,000 mile round trip from Houston, Texas to Orlando, FL. Wanted to share my impressions with y’all.

A little background. The Edge is my spouse’s vehicle – we purchased the Edge (May 2010) to replace a 2004 Honda Odyssey EXL minivan that my spouse has driven since new. The vehicle I drive everyday is a 2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew. I’ve owned a few Ford trucks over the past 10+ years. The Edge will be driven primarily by my spouse around town (Houston).

This was a family “road” trip – 4 people (2 adults, 2 teenagers) – taking 10 days away from home (NOT the Griswold’s heading out to Wally World :)…). We planned the trip to take 2 days each way – a stop somewhere in the “middle” on each leg of the trip.

My overall impressions – The Edge is a nice, comfortable cruiser on the highway. Was easily able to drive 3 hour +/- stretches between stops. Seats are firm and supportive. Never had any pain/discomfort in my back or legs (I’m 6-1). No complaints from the wife (she’s 5-2). The seats were nice as either driver or passenger for both of us. We could find a comfortable position in either seat. The kids found other things to complain about in the back – didn’t seem to whine about being “uncomfortable”. Cabin is quiet – enjoyed the uninterrupted Sirius radio coverage.

Plenty of power to pass around slower moving traffic (Semi’s, buses, motorhomes, etc). Not a lot of wind buffeting. Transmission shifted smoothly. Nice and quiet at highway speeds.

Mileage: I was happy with the mileage on the trip. I calculated the mileage at each fillup (NOT using the trip computer). Ranged from a low of 21.6 MPG to a high of just short of 23 MPG. Most of the time on the highway was between 75 and 80 MPH (maybe a little higher...), running the AC (ambient temp of 90 deg F+++), with 4 passengers and a full load of luggage. Not bad – figure it will get a little better with a few more miles on it.

Luggage room was a little tight (I’m use to having more “space” in the minivan or my F150…) – but we were able to take 10 days worth of “stuff” comfortably (4 adults, 2 teens) in the Edge. I realize I was giving up “space” moving from the minivan…just need to plan a little better and pack smarter.

The Edge is a good “fit” for our family at this time in our lives. Enough room for the 4 of us, well equipped and comfortable. I’m satisfied with my purchase.

Thank you for your input on your trip. The mileage sounds about right for 4 people and luggage. You did not mention if your edge is all wheel drive.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great read, we have not bought one yet and kinda still up in the air if we will or not. This does help me make up my mind if I will or not:)))

This review is for the 2010 model - lots of changes in the 2011. 2011's are very nice - can't personally compare to the 10 but love my 11.

• 2 months later...