Winter rims for Edge Sport?

average33

Hey everyone...

I'm new to the Forum as I just picked up my 2010 Edge Sport. We wanted the 2011 but couldn't pass up the $$ savings for a 2010.

In any case... this may have been asked somewhere else in the forum but I'm hoping you all with your knowledge could help out.

I'm looking to buy winter rims and tires as we're in Toronto, and we get snow obviously, but more so for the safety and not wanting to damage the 22"s.

Can anyone tell me that since the Edge Sport is geared for the 22" rims (what the dealer said).... if I can go down to an 18" in the winter.... or should I only go as small as 20"??

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey everyone...

I'm new to the Forum as I just picked up my 2010 Edge Sport. We wanted the 2011 but couldn't pass up the $$ savings for a 2010.

In any case... this may have been asked somewhere else in the forum but I'm hoping you all with your knowledge could help out.

I'm looking to buy winter rims and tires as we're in Toronto, and we get snow obviously, but more so for the safety and not wanting to damage the 22"s.

Can anyone tell me that since the Edge Sport is geared for the 22" rims (what the dealer said).... if I can go down to an 18" in the winter.... or should I only go as small as 20"??

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Hello, I too am from Toronto and am in the same boat as you except I have a 2011 Sport on it's way soon.

From the research that I have done the best winter tire/wheel combination would be a 18" wheel with a 235/65/18 tire.

I don't think their is any kind of brake caliper clearance issue as their appears to be quite a bit of room.

I personally would like to purchase a complete set for Ford Original Equipment 2011 Ford Edge 18" wheels with tire pressure sensors and then buy 4 winter tires so I will have two complete sets.

I deal with Larry @ Tire Depot in Thornhill (Yonge/Steeles) for my tire purchases.

Livio

First, make sure you get the entire wheel and not just the "rim". The only 2 concerns with buying replacement wheels of a different diameter is that the overall tire diameter is approximately the same (use a tire size calculator - google is your friend). With 18" wheels the sidewalls will be much taller than your 22" wheels to make up the difference. The other concern is brake clearance.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys!

I'm another Torontonian that just picked up my 2011 Edge Sport a week ago. I spoke with the parts guy at the dealer before buying and he told me you could even to to 17's as the brakes are the same size as the SE, which has 17's on it. I do think the tires will be a slightly different size though as based on the 1010 tires tire guide, the standard 17" wheels from the SE are over 3% off the 22" on the Sport, so the computer is definitely set for the different tire size. I was given a quick price of $1300 for 17" steel wheels and X-ice tires. I think I may just go with the steelies as they did look fairly nice and on my black sport, it would make it look mean ;-) I may get better snows then the x-ice though.

From what I can tell, the following sizes are within a 3% tolerance of the 265/40R22's on the 2011 Edge Sport, which is what is recommended when changing tire sizes:

235/70R17

235/75R17

235/65R18

245/60R18

235/55R20

I'm sure there are more, but most of the alternative sizes I was trying, didn't show any tires, the above sizes are all have tires available...didn't check if they were winters or not.

Note: Many other people on this forum have complained of the large rims having issues with snow backing in them and balance issues. There is some science around the fact that you should go as small a rim as possible to help prevent issues. a)Smaller rim gives less room for snow to back in. b)if snow packs in, the farther it is away from the center rotation of the tire, the more it will throw off the balance due to centrifugal force.

You can look further here: Tire Size Calculator

Edited by AXCL

• 4 weeks later...

I am new here, but I just got myself a 2011 Edge Sport and too looking for winter tires. This post has the most information so far, but I was wondering what people were actually getting for tire sets. 17" rims with what size of tire?

I have been dealing with Kaltire here in the Edmonton, Alberta area and have been looking at 255/65R17 (Ø difference of .96%) and 245/70R17 (Ø difference of .53%) in Nokian and Blizzak winter tires. I have been asked if the calipers are oversized, but I have not gotten a response back from a Ford service personnel yet to confirm or deny. (I have been going on the responses of this post stating no.) Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.

2011FordEdgewintertires.jpg

I will probably get 245/70R17 with new rims, TPMS sensors, etc and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV tires. I am seeing a price of about $1750

Hi Guys!

I'm another Torontonian that just picked up my 2011 Edge Sport a week ago. I spoke with the parts guy at the dealer before buying and he told me you could even to to 17's as the brakes are the same size as the SE, which has 17's on it. I do think the tires will be a slightly different size though as based on the 1010 tires tire guide, the standard 17" wheels from the SE are over 3% off the 22" on the Sport, so the computer is definitely set for the different tire size. I was given a quick price of $1300 for 17" steel wheels and X-ice tires. I think I may just go with the steelies as they did look fairly nice and on my black sport, it would make it look mean ;-) I may get better snows then the x-ice though.

From what I can tell, the following sizes are within a 3% tolerance of the 265/40R22's on the 2011 Edge Sport, which is what is recommended when changing tire sizes:

235/70R17

235/75R17

235/65R18

245/60R18

235/55R20

I'm sure there are more, but most of the alternative sizes I was trying, didn't show any tires, the above sizes are all have tires available...didn't check if they were winters or not.

Note: Many other people on this forum have complained of the large rims having issues with snow backing in them and balance issues. There is some science around the fact that you should go as small a rim as possible to help prevent issues. a)Smaller rim gives less room for snow to back in. b)if snow packs in, the farther it is away from the center rotation of the tire, the more it will throw off the balance due to centrifugal force.

You can look further here: Tire Size Calculator

If any one else is looking at different sized tires for their Sport, I thought I would share my experiece.

I had the Edge to Kaltire to dry fit some 17" alloy rims for winter. I will confirm, 17" rims will fit on a 2011 Ford Edge Sport and will clear the calipers. The first rims had an offset of +50, and the tires were inboard by quite a bit. The next set of rims had an offset of +38 and looked alot better.

The 255/65R17 tires are a less common size and only Blizzak DMV1's came in this size and came with a premium, the more common size of 245/70R17 improve my tire selection and the reduced the price. Nokians, Blizzak, X-ice, etc. I was also informed that a small tire width is better for snow, the 235 would be acceptable, ice is more a problem on Alberta's roads, and the more surface area the tire has the better the grip. So with that said, the 255/65R17 would be a better choice. Now there is an issue, what is better?

245/70R17 benefits: Closest Ø to OEM Sport tire, out by only .5% on diameter. Less cost than 255/65R17 . More selection. More ground clearance than 255/65R17. Better in snow than 255/65R17.

255/65R17 benefits: Closest width to OEM Sport tire. Better traction on ice. Better responsiveness due to shorter side wall.

I was able to compare the DM-V1 to the Nokian Hakkapeliilta R and the Nokians seemed to have a better tread and more sipes, but the DMV1s seemed to have more center surface area and wider channels to aid in allowing more snow removal.

I still perfer the Nokians, but I have run WR/WRG2 all-weather tires on my Escape for the past 6 years and those performed great, so I might be a little biased.

measr1.ang.jpgblizzak_dm-v1-480.jpg

I am new here, but I just got myself a 2011 Edge Sport and too looking for winter tires. This post has the most information so far, but I was wondering what people were actually getting for tire sets. 17" rims with what size of tire?

I have been dealing with Kaltire here in the Edmonton, Alberta area and have been looking at 255/65R17 (Ø difference of .96%) and 245/70R17 (Ø difference of .53%) in Nokian and Blizzak winter tires. I have been asked if the calipers are oversized, but I have not gotten a response back from a Ford service personnel yet to confirm or deny. (I have been going on the responses of this post stating no.) Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.

2011FordEdgewintertires.jpg

I will probably get 245/70R17 with new rims, TPMS sensors, etc and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV tires. I am seeing a price of about $1750

• Like 1

I knocked this around quite a bit and finally made my choice. I have the 18's on my limited and here's what I did:

• 17" alloy rims from Canadian Tire - Touren TR3 - $500 tax in. post-11374-014466000 1289189286_thumb.jpg
  • TPMS from Ford - $200 tax in
  • Blizzak DM-V1 245/60R17 - price to be determined yet

Nice!!

Please post a pic when you mount them. I didn't really give CT a try for rims. I was checking out other tire places. This may be an option...I like em' :rockon:

I'm out of town right now but did take pictures on the weekend. Everybody has said how great the rims look. The 17's fit perfectly and with the 245/65R17's they are virtually the same size as the stock 245/60R18's. They should fit the sport no problem.

So the cost breakdown was:

• Rims $500
  • TPMS - $200
  • Tires installed - $1124

All prices taxes in.

I'll post pictures when I'm back next week.

Edited by MidVids

Snow hit here in Edmonton today pretty good. My tires arrived Monday and I was planning on getting them installed today. So like I stated before, I got the 255/65R17 Blizzak DMV1 tires with 17" Alloy rims.

IMG00078.jpgIMG00088.jpg

The camera on the blackberry is not that good. The ride is a little bouncy, but is a little quieter.

C

Snow hit here in Edmonton today pretty good. My tires arrived Monday and I was planning on getting them installed today. So like I stated before, I got the 255/65R17 Blizzak DMV1 tires with 17" Alloy rims.

IMG00078.jpgIMG00088.jpg

The camera on the blackberry is not that good. The ride is a little bouncy, but is a little quieter.

C

Those little wheels are great. Can you add a full profile shot?

IMG00078.jpgIMG00088.jpg

C

now all you need to do is mask off the edges and paint the centers tuxedo black again, maybe no one will notice?happy%20feet.gif

• 3 weeks later...

We've got a foot now, and I have to say, the 22s really go well. I was nervous compared to the 18's from our 07 but it still goes like a tank with no slipping issues. Time will tell on really bad days and as the tires wear but so far so good!

I was actually impressed with the 22's as well. But I did notice, it "goes" well, but didn't stop nearly as well as good snows will, the ABS was kicking in a lot. Just completed my Tirerack purchase today, so I should have my snows on by next weekend.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice information , thanks to all

as I am in Newfoundland I am planing to put 235/65/R17 on my 2011 edge limited which came in with 245/50/R20

I hope it should be ok as I am with in 3% range

tires : bridge-stone P 235/65/R17

rims : normal black steel rims

what you guys suggest , is it ok ?