Need Guidance on what to do with Ford !

MaxLtd

Good morning,

I have a 2009 Ford Edge limited with the 20" Chrome wheels. My edge has 24000 Kms and it has been pulling to the right slightly since I bought it. The pull has been confirmed by several people but no one so far has been able to find the problem. I have had my Edge to the dealer 3 times and the last time, they kept it for a week. This slight pull to the right is driving me crazy. Plese note that my Edge also pull to the right with my brand new winter tires. What should I do ? Thanks

I suggest checking the alignment, front and rear If you are carying something heavy in the pass. compartment or trunk on the right side, move it. If one or both of the right side tires are smaller diameter, that might be the issue. Road are crowned to the right sife - does it turn right on a flat surface - parking lot? Also, make sure you don't have a sticking brake caliper on the right side.

If you ever took a hit - the chassis might not be straightened correctly.

You would think after a week, the dealership would have checked all this. Ask to drive another one and see if it is characteristic of all Edges. If not, ask them to get a Field Service Engineer from Ford to check it out.

Good luck-

Edited by Grey

I suggest checking the alignment, front and rear If you are carying something heavy in the pass. compartment or trunk on the right side, move it. If one or both of the right side tires are smaller diameter, that might be the issue. Road are crowned to the right sife - does it turn right on a flat surface - parking lot? Also, make sure you don't have a sticking brake caliper on the right side.

If you ever took a hit - the chassis might not be straightened correctly.

You would think after a week, the dealership would have checked all this. Ask to drive another one and see if it is characteristic of all Edges. If not, ask them to get a Field Service Engineer from Ford to check it out.

Good luck-

I had the same problem with mine 09 AWD Ltd. Since new always pulled to the right slightly. After rotating the tires the pull stopped and newer came back. Try to rotate the tires, front to back and across to each other.

• 1 year later...

IT IS CALLED TORQUE STEER LAY OFF THE GAS

torque steer only occurs on hard accel. i doubt that at 24,000 kms he's experiencing torque steer all the time, lol....

and according to original poster he said he put new winter tires on, so that's gonna eliminate the possibility of rotating tires to get rid of the issue.

here are the questions i'd like answered.

1.) what speeds do experience the pull? (0-40 kms? 40-75 kms? 75 and above? all speeds, regardlees?)

2.) do you feel the pull during braking?

3.) what is the condition of the inside of the rotor and pad on the drivers side? ( if you have an issue with a bad caliper bracket it can keep the spring clip on the brake pad from releasing the pad and create excess brake drag which will create the pull.)

• 3 months later...

Add a 1/2 degree of positive castor to passenger side if alignment, tire change and rotation doesn't help. Has vehicle been hit in front? Also some tire tread patterns can cause this. Still have the original tires?

The Edge comes from factory with enough positive castor to give front suspension a strong centering effect, so road crowns not as noticeable in modern cars as cars of the past. You normally don't set alignment for crowned roads anymore.

Edited by RJG