Adding HIDs

11Sport

I bought the retro solutions kit and had my local garage install them. They work great! The automatic selector works perfect. Best of all the night vision is much improved over the original.

What color did you go with? Any pics?

Im not sure if I should go with 5000k or 6000k.

What color did you go with? Any pics?

Im not sure if I should go with 5000k or 6000k.

I purchased the 55w, 6000K setup from Todd at Retrosolutions and installed them this past weekend. I am very happy with the lighting. What an incredible difference from the stock lighting. I had an issue with the capacitor and contact Todd, who immediately put a new one in the mail for me. Waiting for it now..in the meantime I am able to temporarily run the system without it (no DRL's)..love the lighting.

Edited by snowmancomic

I purchased the 55w, 6000K setup from Todd at Retrosolutions and installed them this past weekend. I am very happy with the lighting. What an incredible difference from the stock lighting. I had an issue with the capacitor and contact Todd, who immediately put a new one in the mail for me. Waiting for it now..in the meantime I am able to temporarily run the system without it (no DRL's)..love the lighting.

Where did you mount the ballasts and relay?

Where did you mount the ballasts and relay?

That was the hardest part of the whole installation..deciding where to mount. I promised myself that I would not drill into any part of the vehicle (except the headlamp dust covers), thus my mounting probably isn't the best but I can remove the system if I ever need to very easily. I mounted the passenger side ballast just to the side of the headlight fixture (mounted vertically against the front of the truck)..its mounted with two sided tape with the mounting bracket removed. The other ballast I used one ot the screws from the air cleaner duct and mounted it horizantally..its not the best installation but doesn't look that bad. The relay and capactor are mounted using two sided tape along the fender wall right in front of the fuse box..i wire-tied everything together to clean it up.

That was the hardest part of the whole installation..deciding where to mount. I promised myself that I would not drill into any part of the vehicle (except the headlamp dust covers), thus my mounting probably isn't the best but I can remove the system if I ever need to very easily. I mounted the passenger side ballast just to the side of the headlight fixture (mounted vertically against the front of the truck)..its mounted with two sided tape with the mounting bracket removed. The other ballast I used one ot the screws from the air cleaner duct and mounted it horizantally..its not the best installation but doesn't look that bad. The relay and capactor are mounted using two sided tape along the fender wall right in front of the fuse box..i wire-tied everything together to clean it up.

Where were your grounds? Did you go straight to the battery or did you drill anywhere?

Too cold to install in the winter most places.... yet it is darker for more hours of the day. What irony, right?

I was also considering installing HIDs on my new EDGE, however someone mentioned that it might void Ford's warranty? Is there any truth to that? Also I was recommended an alternative in Silverstar ultras as a safe and inexpensive alternative to HIDs. Any experience or thoughts on Ultras vs HIDs?

I was also considering installing HIDs on my new EDGE, however someone mentioned that it might void Ford's warranty? Is there any truth to that? Also I was recommended an alternative in Silverstar ultras as a safe and inexpensive alternative to HIDs. Any experience or thoughts on Ultras vs HIDs?

Hi drevv. :D Very few things "Void the Warranty". "Voiding the Warranty" means that absolutely nothing normally covered under Warranty would ever be covered under Warranty, ever again.

However, in the particular case of installing HID's, if you later have any sort of lighting or electrical issues that can be remotely traced back by the Dealer or Ford to the HID installation or equipment, that particular Warranty claim could be denied. But as mentioned above, that is much different than "Voiding the Warranty". Not saying that is a likely scenario, just providing the information concerning Warranty/Warranty claim denial issues.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

I just installed a set of DDM 9006 55W HID's with the digital slim ballast in 5000K color, $45.00 and I love them. Its like I wasnt driving with headlights on before. Install was simple and no mods were required to the bulb base. The light is super bright crystal clear white, no blue tint whatsoever. I spoke to several members regarding what they chose and why and decided that the DDM's were the best value (includes a lifetime warranty), 55W because that's the same power draw as the stocks, and 5000K because I wanted the whitest brightest clean light. That's what i've got now and I'm loving it!

Just FYI Edgieguy, you have a kit running 35w bulbs on a 50w ballast there, and without the proper wiring setup your vehicle's SJB is in danger of blowing (~$1000 repair)

I did notice that both bulb and ballast were stamped 55 w. And just like anyone else adding aftermarket stuff, if my sjb blows up, its off to the dealer with stock bulbs. Let them prove it. But I appreciate the heads up.

I ran these same lights on my 2008 for three years (and worked evenings so they saw daily use) without a hiccup. I also have them in my mr2, and Polaris RZR-S. Just wasn't sure how fitment would be going from hir2 bulb, but it seems great. looks like you have a nice product too and I'm by no means knocking you guys, I just had good luck w them and thought the $ was very fair and their customer service outstanding.

Here's the best I could do w my phone camera. I took a bunch driving, parked, high beam vs low beam, pm me and ill email them to you.

IMAG0028.jpg

Edited by Edgieguy

They can not void the factory warranty, and any dealership that makes such a claim is violating the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. With the proper wiring installed as comes supplied with our kits for the Ford Edge the only thing they could ever void a warranty on in part would be the headlamps directly. For instance they could not void your warranty when you go in for transmission trouble because you have the the windows tinted.

Silverstar ultras, nor any other replacement halogen bulb of the same wattage, are any brighter than the stock bulbs despite any advertised claims. The light source is the same wattage filament in all. In fact, because the silverstar are coated to block less pleasing yellow tones, they provide less usable light than the stock bulbs do. If you have a 2011 with the HIR2/9012 bulbs.... there is no replacement to stock other than HID.

So if i wanted to purchase a street legal HID Kit for 2011 EDGE with blue color lights, which one would you recommend and what would be the cost? Also i'm not very technical when it comes to cars, so would a novice such as myself be able to figure it out, or will I need to employ a help of a professorial?

So if i wanted to purchase a street legal HID Kit for 2011 EDGE with blue color lights, which one would you recommend and what would be the cost? Also i'm not very technical when it comes to cars, so would a novice such as myself be able to figure it out, or will I need to employ a help of a professorial?

Hi drevv. :D As mentioned above, there are no "street legal" aftermarket HID kits. To put it bluntly, all aftermarket HID kits are illegal for on-road use in the U.S., Canada and Europe.

Now, that being said, the chances of actually being stopped and ticketed for such an infraction are probably on the low side (although everyone must take their own circumstances into account).

However, the bottom-line is that the installation of any aftermarket HID kit in any "on road" vehicle that did not come factory equipped with HID's is illegal, no exceptions.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Once installed I actually had to adjust the height of the beam so that it would not hit other drivers in the eyes. I noticed that the stock setting even with the stock bulbs was very high. It actually wasn't putting light close enough in front of my vehicle. So I found a write up on the web :stats:regarding setting up lights and it helped immensely.

With that said, if you stay away from blue, purple, pink lights and take the time to properly align them, then your chances of being pulled over for your headlamps greatly diminishes. Of course, if you still decide to drive crazy, anything is fair game to pull you over for:stop:. I see it all day long, so im Just giving it to you straight.

PPDCharger2-1.jpg

Edited by Edgieguy

The best lighting solution for the Edge (in my opinion) is to substitute H9 bulbs for the low output H11's. Cheap enough and it is designed for the housing so the focus is not altered. Just a minor modification to one of the bulb tabs is needed for the H9's to fit. About 90% brighter.

Substitute HIR 9011 bulbs for the low output 9005's. Again, cheap enough and it is designed for the housing so the foucs is not altered. Just a minor modification of one of the bulb tabs is needed for the 9011's to fit. About 75% brighter.

Almost as bright as properly enginered HID's, cost effective, great color temperature, and will not increase glare to other drivers. Both H9's and 9011's can be found with an internet search since most local parts stores don't carry these bulbs.

Richard