cargo cover design lacking

stevebrown1950

• 1 month later...

Reclining a rear seat while the cargo cover is attached stresses the covers attachments. Salesmen suggested it would be users fault if the attachment broke. Totally missed the faulty design issue.

The cargo cover is a joke. when my wife saw it, she could not stop laughing. Ford could have done a much better job on this one.

That's too bad... we ordered the Cargo cover on ours.

We figured it was a good choice since my husband has a computer business and is constantly carrying around clients' computers and expensive equipment. He is always paranoid about leaving stuff in plain sight and whenever we go to a mall or something he usually puts everything in the trunk of the car.

I'm hoping the cargo cover will at least allow us to "hide" the equipment.

That's too bad... we ordered the Cargo cover on ours.

We figured it was a good choice since my husband has a computer business and is constantly carrying around clients' computers and expensive equipment. He is always paranoid about leaving stuff in plain sight and whenever we go to a mall or something he usually puts everything in the trunk of the car.

I'm hoping the cargo cover will at least allow us to "hide" the equipment.

The cover does work. It's not the best design but it does do what it's supposed to do.

Here are some pics I took of mine

Edited by wilsons66604

Reclining a rear seat while the cargo cover is attached stresses the covers attachments. Salesmen suggested it would be users fault if the attachment broke. Totally missed the faulty design issue.

I actually think that one reason the design is so lame is to accommodate the reclining seat. If it is hooked up correctly, the cover flexes when the seats recline.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have a 2011 Sport, and the cargo cover is lacking in many respects. It's a bad design from the get go. Chintzy installation and not friendly to use at all. I find it easier to just lay it over any contents in the rear hatch area. But this does nothing but let a would be looker know that there are contents in the hatch area but they are not identifiable.

I actually think that one reason the design is so lame is to accommodate the reclining seat. If it is hooked up correctly, the cover flexes when the seats recline.

They actually discontinued the cargo cover when they added reclining rear seats to the explorer a few years ago for that very reason.

I agree, the cargo cover really sucks. We decided we would never use it because it takes so long and is so awkward to get into place (we can't leave it up all the time), so I returned it to the dealer and had them give me a rubber liner instead. Now we keep a small tarp in the back of the car in case we need to cover our cargo. Way faster and takes up less space when we're not using it.

• 3 weeks later...

I originally ordered the cargo cover after my wife requested it, but left it at the dealer when I saw how cheaply it was constructed. What is Ford thinking with that cheap vinyl tarp with cheap elastic bands attached?

I totally agree. We just got our new Edge a couple of weeks and also laughed when we saw the cover. We were expecting a retractable cover like they had on the Explorer. Really disappointed. However, we ordered as part of the Cargo package and were happy with the bumper cover and the Rubber tray.

I purchased one, as well, it it wants to fight the cargo net for those same rear hooks! rant.gif

I have seen one for the Ford Explorer 5 passenger of the "window shade" mount. A lot neater then the one offered for the Edge and is usually offered (retail/Amazon) for about $118. shades.gif

Don't know if the interior dimenensions of the Edge and Explorer are the same. :headscratch:

The Tiger

This is shocking as I was fully expecting a retractable cover like I had with my 2005 Subaru Forrester (I won't be taking delivery of my '11 Edge until mid-February to align better with my soon-to-be-expiring lease). I ordered it as part of the "Cargo Package" too so I guess I won't be too surprised when I see it and as Cornell indicated, I place value on the bumper cover and the rubber tray. Crazy that a Dollarama "solution" can almost ruin a $45,000+ CDN vehicle (Canadian taxes in, with options bought)! Whose bright idea was that?

Thanks richy. Since reading your comment, I can't get the "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" theme song out of my head. :banghead:

Edited by Hockey87

This is shocking as I was fully expecting a retractable cover like I had with my 2005 Subaru Forrester. I ordered it as part of the "Cargo Package" too so I guess I won't be too surprised when I see it and as Cornell indicated, I place value on the bumper cover and the rubber tray. Crazy that a Dollarama "solution" can almost ruin a $45,000+ CDN vehicle (Canadian taxes in, with options bought)! Whose bright idea was that?

Thanks richy. Since reading your comment, I can't get the "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" theme song out of my head. :banghead:

My interior is black,I bought a black blanket to cover the cargo if needed.

Since the windows are tinted it's hard to see in there anyway.

The car came with a cargo net,which is quite useless.

• 2 weeks later...