Has anyone taking any of the dealer "extras" like Rustproof, Extended Warranty, Sherlock??

Dreamss

Just curious to see what people took AFTER they closed the deal for their cars?

After we finalized the price this week for the car, they took me down stairs into the "dungeon" and tried to sell me tons of extras, it was a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet with about 20 extra options I could take / that they tried to sell me.

Just curious if everyone goes through this and if you opted to take any of them?

I like the extended warranty for 5 years, but at almost $2000 I am not sure if I can, I'm already at the top of my budget with this car and not much room for more, if I had the 2k, I prob would have taken the AWD that I wanted.

The only ones that REALLY interest me is the rust proofing they offered and the Sherlock engraving.

The rust proofing is some sort of wax, they claim it will last 10 years and I wont have to do it again for at least that long vs. typical oil and chemical that you must do every year. I usually do the chemical based rust proof, it's called DuraTech, it worked well but not sure how it compares to the wax based solution the dealer wants to offer me. The dealer's rustproof is also $599....

Sherlock seems like a good idea, my insurance have me a discount on the premium based on this. They are asking $299 for this option and engrave 50 places, just not sure I want to see engravings everyone I look, especially my side mirrors and windows.

Anyone take any of these features or something else worth considering?

Tony

Just curious to see what people took AFTER they closed the deal for their cars?

After we finalized the price this week for the car, they took me down stairs into the "dungeon" and tried to sell me tons of extras, it was a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet with about 20 extra options I could take / that they tried to sell me.

Just curious if everyone goes through this and if you opted to take any of them?

I like the extended warranty for 5 years, but at almost $2000 I am not sure if I can, I'm already at the top of my budget with this car and not much room for more, if I had the 2k, I prob would have taken the AWD that I wanted.

The only ones that REALLY interest me is the rust proofing they offered and the Sherlock engraving.

The rust proofing is some sort of wax, they claim it will last 10 years and I wont have to do it again for at least that long vs. typical oil and chemical that you must do every year. I usually do the chemical based rust proof, it's called DuraTech, it worked well but not sure how it compares to the wax based solution the dealer wants to offer me. The dealer's rustproof is also $599....

Sherlock seems like a good idea, my insurance have me a discount on the premium based on this. They are asking $299 for this option and engrave 50 places, just not sure I want to see engravings everyone I look, especially my side mirrors and windows.

Anyone take any of these features or something else worth considering?

Tony

I am curious about the engravings what do they actually engrave?

I went for the 6 year 75000 mile maintenance plan that was 1600.00 because the way my dealer described it was "it basically covers everything you have to do on a regular basis other than putting gas in the car". More or less it covers all of the factory recommended maintenance ie. Oil changes and tire rotations every 5000 miles, brakes whenever they wear out, any and all filters, all the factory recommended system flushes, and wiper blades which living in an area where we get a lot of snow and ice I go through at lease 2 or 3 sets a year.

The way I looked at it an oil change with semi synthetic runs me 25-30 plus the time to do itself and around 50 to go somewhere and have them do it. So that will be 15 oil changes or a savings of $450 if I do it myself $750 if I were to take it somewhere each time. That was roughly half of the cost so by the time I take into account a brake job maybe 2 the 60,000 mile vehicle maintenance checkup and random filters, fluids, flushes, and wiper blades it would probably even out. Also the fact that the dealer is only half a mile from my office means that it will be convenient to use.

My dealer also threw in life time car washes which is minor but something at lease.

Jgilles

I just picked up my 2011 MKX yesterday. The dealer wanted $1,575 for a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty and $1,800 for a 7 year, 100,000. I took the 7 year.

They offered an annual service for 5 years that included a paint coating that lasts a year, scotchguard on non-leather areas and an undercoating. They re-apply all three each year for 5 years. It was $499 ($100 a year).

I ended up with the extended service, can't remember the mileage but it was 6 years I think. I said no probably 6 times until he walked out for a moment. When he came back he had offer I could not refuse. He got some ok to bypass the the loan origination fee the dealer gets and they applied that to the cost somehow. I financed about half the purchase price and got 1.9 at local bank of their choice and the extended warranty for 2.50 more a month for 48 months. So that seemed like a pretty good deal. They must make a good amount of money of selling extended service, at least more than the fee the bank pays them. I guess the trick was to keep saying no.

Edited by bpattie

Many buyers do not like to extend warranties. I figured in a car loaded with computer technology and gadgets, one repair after the factory warranty will probably pay for the extended warranty. If you sell the car before the warranty is up, you can transfer it as an incentive to a buyer or cancel it and get a prorated refund of the unused time or miles. I get nervous as I approach the time when my warranty will expire because as soon as it expires, that's when you may have an expensive repair. When you buy it at the time of purchase, you can finance it with the car loan. If you buy it later, you can't finance it.

I just picked up my 2011 MKX yesterday. The dealer wanted $1,575 for a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty and $1,800 for a 7 year, 100,000. I took the 7 year.

They offered an annual service for 5 years that included a paint coating that lasts a year, scotchguard on non-leather areas and an undercoating. They re-apply all three each year for 5 years. It was $499 ($100 a year).

The paint protection that the dealers use and claim to last a year is simply not true, so definitely do not opt for it. The best synthetic polymer sealants on the market typically last for no more than 6 months under ideal conditions.

i still have a 2001 F-350 crew cab diesel, that had some plastic or aluminum piece in the transmission go and the pieces fried the transmission, 400 miles out of warranty and Ford would not cover it. It was also a known issue. So for around $125 in total cost (in 48 month payments) due to reduced interest rate it seemed like a good deal to me to go with the 6 year piece of mind. forgot to say, the re-build cost me $2,500 or so 9 years ago. So I think the answer is to keep saying no, until they make a deal like mine. PS: I am normally not a fan of extended warranties, appliances, cars, etc.

Edited by bpattie