22" Wheels and locks

mleber

I was just looking up what a replacement wheel cost for the Sport. They are $1,370 plus change (US). Make sure you get locks for your new wheels. You do not want to buy a replacement wheel.

I ordered the factory wheel locks on ebay for 15 bucks. They look good and are only slightly larger (longer) than the regular lug nuts. They weigh about 20 grams more than the regular lugs. I hope it doesn't throw the balance off on the wheel. I just put them on and will keep notice of the performance/ I have a long commute tomorrow driving down to Key Largo, so it will be a good test. If they do wobble then I will get a complete set of locks like gorilla locks. They have a set where all lugs are locks and they look good too. These will keep the balance good, since all lugs are the same.

Here is the ford info on locks.

Chrome Plated For Exposed Lugs

Part Number: 7T4Z-1A043-A

You can pick these up at the dealer or on ebay or somewhere like that.

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Edge~2011~7T4Z_1A043_A

Gorilla Automotive Products

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/the.system.new.box

Part Number: 71683N - fits Ford Edge 2011

post-10023-042325400 1285824864_thumb.jpg

I was just looking up what a replacement wheel cost for the Sport. They are $1,370 plus change (US). Make sure you get locks for your new wheels. You do not want to buy a replacement wheel.

I ordered the factory wheel locks on ebay for 15 bucks. They look good and are only slightly larger (longer) than the regular lug nuts. They weigh about 20 grams more than the regular lugs. I hope it doesn't throw the balance off on the wheel. I just put them on and will keep notice of the performance/ I have a long commute tomorrow driving down to Key Largo, so it will be a good test. If they do wobble then I will get a complete set of locks like gorilla locks. They have a set where all lugs are locks and they look good too. These will keep the balance good, since all lugs are the same.

Here is the ford info on locks.

Chrome Plated For Exposed Lugs

Part Number: 7T4Z-1A043-A

You can pick these up at the dealer or on ebay or somewhere like that.

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Edge~2011~7T4Z_1A043_A

Gorilla Automotive Products

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/the.system.new.box

Part Number: 71683N - fits Ford Edge 2011

How's the balance?

Those are the worst locks on the market. The key will strip out when you go to take them off. I stripped about 3 keys before I had to go to a wheel shop to get them off. Get the locks with the different knurl pattern on the outside and the key fits over like a socket.

Thanks for your input. Which locks are the ones that you say are the worst. It wasnt to clear. Are you recommending the gorilla ones? And the ford ones are not good?

How's the balance?

I will say that putting only the 1 lock on the tires and with that lock lug having a higher weight DOES present a small inbalance. The tires are so big and already have ALOT of weights on them from the factory. But they were balanced good before. I recently had alot of brand new blacktop put down in my area. The road is as perfect as you can get and only 3 weeks old at this time. So from driving the 5 miles of new road and the subsequent 140 miles each way, I felt a slight wobble.

This is something that I do not want to live with so I will be seeking a lock solution that has all lock nuts. This will give a consistent weight and best protection solution.

I was happy to see that the 22's came with Gorilla wheel locks (nice job Ford). They are the best locks out there and you cant even tell they are locks.

If someone whats your wheels, they will have to take car.

I think you misunderstood. The car comes with regular lug nuts. I had the regular lugs on there, then put the 4 locks on that are the regular FORD branded lugs. They are giving a small imbalance. I have the gorillas in shipment and will replace ALL 20 lugs for gorilla locking nuts.

I think you misunderstood. The car comes with regular lug nuts. I had the regular lugs on there, then put the 4 locks on that are the regular FORD branded lugs. They are giving a small imbalance. I have the gorillas in shipment and will replace ALL 20 lugs for gorilla locking nuts.

What is this imbalance you speak of? Are you getting vibration/noise from the wheels?

What is this imbalance you speak of? Are you getting vibration/noise from the wheels?

Yeah, there is a small vibration using ford locking lug set. I was washing the car this weekend and while working on the wheels, I took off the locks and put the regular nuts back on. There is NO vibration. When the new nuts get here, I will report how they work. Each nut is a locking nut and is identical, so there should be no weight difference.

Yeah, there is a small vibration using ford locking lug set. I was washing the car this weekend and while working on the wheels, I took off the locks and put the regular nuts back on. There is NO vibration. When the new nuts get here, I will report how they work. Each nut is a locking nut and is identical, so there should be no weight difference.

Thanks please keep me posted as I'm waiting to purchase some locks.

Edited by njbrandon

Oh crap! Gorilla locks, for me!

OK, The Gorillas have arrived. I will install them later today and test drive quickly. I have taken some pictures of the box set.

FYI, I purchased them thru Amazon.com. That was the cheapest at the time. They seem to cost more again, everywhere. I paid $40.62 shipped.

I have checked each nut to make sure they all fit into the socket, before I start any install. They are all fine. I was upset to see, that they were all inside one ziploc type bag instead of some blister package. They just need to be rubbed down and polished then installed.

I have also taken some pictures of the difference between the three different types.

The standard lug nut from Ford. The Ford locking lug nut. The gorilla locking nut. The weights are 48g, 66g, 57g, respectively.

post-10023-077927900 1286296456_thumb.jpg

post-10023-026198200 1286296467_thumb.jpg

post-10023-050009900 1286296485_thumb.jpg

post-10023-075270600 1286296504_thumb.jpg

post-10023-024258300 1286296520_thumb.jpg

post-10023-007508900 1286296527_thumb.jpg

post-10023-060448500 1286296553_thumb.jpg

post-10023-061554700 1286296568_thumb.jpg

post-10023-066507600 1286296606_thumb.jpg

post-10023-077193000 1286296615_thumb.jpg

post-10023-091440100 1286296624_thumb.jpg

Yes, they fit great. As you can see from the pictures they are a little shorter than the standard lugs and much shorter than the Ford style lugs. I will post some pictures tomorrow so that you can see how they look on the wheel. At first I was scared that they may be too short for the screw but they are just right. They look great, the are much shinier than the factory non-locking lugs. They are solid steel and triple chromed.

IMO, they are worth the small price to pay for the protection, while looking better than the factory stuff.

Make sure you order the correct package. You can see the model # in the pictures. I think it was the top line on the side of the box.

No vibration.

Edited by mleber

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this great post!

This is exactly what I was looking to get. I may even order the black chrome ones, to hide the lugs all together. Not sure what I'd like better, the contrasting shiny lugs or a blacked out set :shades:

Can you get 1/2 in a slightly longer version? I'd be worried these would bottom out, especially if you had to use them on your spare. Did it seem like you had plenty of room when you changed them, or did it look close? Perhaps the bolt still doesn't even come close to the end.

I would recommend keeping a set of your original lugs in with your spare just in case.

Thanks for this great post!

This is exactly what I was looking to get. I may even order the black chrome ones, to hide the lugs all together. Not sure what I'd like better, the contrasting shiny lugs or a blacked out set :shades:

Can you get 1/2 in a slightly longer version? I'd be worried these would bottom out, especially if you had to use them on your spare. Did it seem like you had plenty of room when you changed them, or did it look close? Perhaps the bolt still doesn't even come close to the end.

I would recommend keeping a set of your original lugs in with your spare just in case.

They are definitely NOT bottoming out. I was worried about that myself and put the car on a lift, so that I could try to shake the wheel. No shake. Then I took the wheel of and did some measuring. It is fine. The lug is shorter but fits fine. The cheap factory ones are just cheap lugs that they use on many models.I like the fact that they reside inside the wells of the wheel and don't poke out. Plus the cheap ones will not get or keep a shine. Nice car, slick paint, great detail sparkle, crappy lug nuts with no shine. No thank you, I prefer the safe and good looking gorillas (and they fit just fine).

As for the spare, I think that when I looked at the spare tire, it was a standard steel wheel. I haven't measured the difference in width of the spare to the normal wheel, but until I do, I will put 5 cheapy lugs in a paper towel and on top of the spare. Can't be too safe, or Murphy will bite you.

There were no locking lugs in or on my edge when I picked up, but I asked my salesman about it and he said, "Oh sure, I'll give you a set." So I don't know if he's supposed to or if he was just being nice.

They are on your original order with the 22 wheels. Its included on the Sport. I dont recommend using the Ford stuff. Tried it and my wheel went unbalanced. You will see. Then when you are figure it out, get gorillas. You will love them and feel safer. The ford ones poke out further than the others. They make the wheels look WRONG. Read this thread from page one and look at the pictures I posted and reviews. Hope this helps. I like having 5 locks on each wheel. and at replacing a wheel for 1400 bucks, the 40 buck investment or whatever I paid for the gorrilas makes the locks seem FREE.