Michelin Tires and the Edge

abowie

What model Michelin tires are on your 08.

P245/60R18 - they do a good job. The dealer mentioned he has a sale running on Continentals that he claims wear better than the Michelins. Hmmmm..? Not sure what to make of Continentals vs Michelins but I'll stick with the Michs for now.

P245/60R18 - they do a good job. The dealer mentioned he has a sale running on Continentals that he claims wear better than the Michelins. Hmmmm..? Not sure what to make of Continentals vs Michelins but I'll stick with the Michs for now.

Had the Conties on my '07 Edge. Treadwear was at 5/32 at lease end (53k miles and 39 months). Rotated them every 7,500 miles They wore very well!

I don't expect the same result from the Michelins.

I have the Latitudes and last winter I would lose traction on turns, very frustrating. Not sure if a tire with a treadier sidewall would help? I am not a fan of all season tires.

Sounds like you need winter tires. All season tires lose grip when they get too cold. I've never had a problem down to 20F or so in Atlanta but that's on dry roads, not snow or ice.

Sounds like you need winter tires. All season tires lose grip when they get too cold. I've never had a problem down to 20F or so in Atlanta but that's on dry roads, not snow or ice.

Interesting, did not know that cold affected them like that. It does get awful cold here. If I replaced the tires I would definitely go with winter tires. My Edge just turned 19k today, and I would really like to get a 2012 next year if things go well with the new design so I will do my best to get thru another winter with them. Thanks akirby. ;)

Interesting, did not know that cold affected them like that. It does get awful cold here. If I replaced the tires I would definitely go with winter tires. My Edge just turned 19k today, and I would really like to get a 2012 next year if things go well with the new design so I will do my best to get thru another winter with them. Thanks akirby. ;)

All season tires start to lose traction below 45F.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/winterAllSeason.dos

All season tires start to lose traction below 45F.

http://www.discountt...erAllSeason.dos

Good article, thanks. That explains a lot. It is below 45 here for 4-5 months out of the year. Previously I had a ZR2 Blazer with BF's on it and it would burn through snow and really grab the road (when the 4WD was working that is) and I was shocked when I drove my Edge in the snow for the first time. I made the dumb assumption that they would put an appropriate tire on an AWD vehicle. Guess that is not the way it works. Thanks again akirby.

Good article, thanks. That explains a lot. It is below 45 here for 4-5 months out of the year. Previously I had a ZR2 Blazer with BF's on it and it would burn through snow and really grab the road (when the 4WD was working that is) and I was shocked when I drove my Edge in the snow for the first time. I made the dumb assumption that they would put an appropriate tire on an AWD vehicle. Guess that is not the way it works. Thanks again akirby.

I think the problem is the low rolling resistance tires that enhance fuel economy. They're probably a harder compound.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem is the low rolling resistance tires that enhance fuel economy. They're probably a harder compound.

Here in Canada, the province of Quebec mandates by law to use winter tires (notice I did not say "snow" tires...airkby is right..it has everything to do with temp and not snow) from Oct to April (I think that's the timetable..it's during the winter regardless). The insurance companies lobbied for that.