Sync vs. Voice Navigation

In all the reading I've done, it looks like the Sync system will give you turn-by-turn navigation... a couple of questions!

Are the directions audible, and do they say street names out loud, or just show them?

Are the street names also displayed? (I see it on the system, but just want to make sure that's not the NAV system)

How do you set your destination; can you just say a street address, or type one in like a NAV?

If all of that works, why would you need the NAV system? Is it just to get the visual maps, or is there more that I'm missing?

Trying to decide if it's worth the $795.... thanks!!!

In all the reading I've done, it looks like the Sync system will give you turn-by-turn navigation... a couple of questions!

Are the directions audible, and do they say street names out loud, or just show them?

Are the street names also displayed? (I see it on the system, but just want to make sure that's not the NAV system)

How do you set your destination; can you just say a street address, or type one in like a NAV?

If all of that works, why would you need the NAV system? Is it just to get the visual maps, or is there more that I'm missing?

Trying to decide if it's worth the $795.... thanks!!!

In the week I had my new Edge before the new [good] SD card was sent, I used the Sync TDI a couple times. I was pleasantly suprised by its accuracy, details, interface... overall was impressed. After you ask for directions, it will ask what kind (address, business name). I was driving to the dealer once (I knew where I was going) and said the city, then dealer name. Took me right there. Also took me home right to my driveway. (I knew where I was going that time, too!). I don't think you can key in a destination. I may be wrong on that.

There are no visual maps. Turn-by-turn audible and visual instructions. Visual is just arrows and street names.

Why would you want the Nav? It is a lot more robust. You can set priorities, etc - all kinds of stuff. And you get maps! Up to you whether that's all worth it.

The Sync isn't really navigation. It's a service you call, which then downloads a set of directions to your car. So your car knows ONLY the exact directions that are downloaded. As soon as you make a mistake, miss a turn, encounter construction etc,, you must redial into the service, have it find you, then re-download an updated route. By the time all that happens, you are very lost. It also relies 100% on your phone, meaning if you forget your phone, out of batteries, no signal or talking with somebody on the phone means no Navigation.

However the advantage of the Sync nav is that it's database can be kept up-to-date without expensive map updates, so it will always be current no matter how old your car is.

The Sync isn't really navigation. It's a service you call, which then downloads a set of directions to your car. So your car knows ONLY the exact directions that are downloaded. As soon as you make a mistake, miss a turn, encounter construction etc,, you must redial into the service, have it find you, then re-download an updated route. By the time all that happens, you are very lost. It also relies 100% on your phone, meaning if you forget your phone, out of batteries, no signal or talking with somebody on the phone means no Navigation.

However the advantage of the Sync nav is that it's database can be kept up-to-date without expensive map updates, so it will always be current no matter how old your car is.

And with Nav you get a Map, and POIs and a larger touch screen with radio controls, etc. etc. etc.

OK great, thanks! These replies plus a little more reading online sorted this out for me. I was still on the fence, but it breaks down to about $13/month over a 5-year loan; done deal.

And with Nav you get a Map, and POIs and a larger touch screen with radio controls, etc. etc. etc.

Hmmm... FYI, I don't think it has any effect on the size of the touch screen or radio controls. Maybe that was the old model without mytouch? The way I understand it, it's just an SD card that enhances what's already there.

In any case... thanks all! Looking forward to getting my Edge ordered!!

OK great, thanks! These replies plus a little more reading online sorted this out for me. I was still on the fence, but it breaks down to about $13/month over a 5-year loan; done deal.

Hmmm... FYI, I don't think it has any effect on the size of the touch screen or radio controls. Maybe that was the old model without mytouch? The way I understand it, it's just an SD card that enhances what's already there.

In any case... thanks all! Looking forward to getting my Edge ordered!!

You can get Sync without the Nav touch screen in which case you get a small display screen in the center stack. You have to get Nav to get the large 8" touch screen.

IIRC.

You can get Sync without the Nav touch screen in which case you get a small display screen in the center stack. You have to get Nav to get the large 8" touch screen.

IIRC.

Nope, you can get the 8in touch screen without the Nav, but you have to get the 8in screen to get the Nav.