Lazy Man's Car Wash

I know I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this question but I'm ready for it. I'm a rather lazy person on the weekends and I'd like to take as good care of my Edge as I can without having to spend hours washing, waxing, etc. What are the groups suggestions for an over-the-counter type car wash for me to use? Any other suggestions as far as waxes, tire treatments etc. would also be appreciated.

I've been using Zaino products for years when I got my first new car (2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP S/C).

If you can spend about an hour on the car, I'd recommend giving it a thorough wash and then using a quick detailing spray like the Z6 or the "Grand Finale" spray they have (don't remember the Z* number).

Every 6 months to a year, try to find the time to polish the paint with the Z2 show car polish or the daily driver all in one stuff.

I would recommend protecting your paint with a sealant vs a typical carnuba wax. Sealants are much more durable than a wax and you typically only need to apply them 2-3 times a year. Menzerna, Zaino, Chemical Guys, Poorboys World, and Blackfire all make great sealants. With the exception of Zaino, you can find all of the above sealants at www.detailedimage.com.

I would also recommend picking up a proper wash/dry kit from them as using proper washing and drying products will greatly reduce paint imperfections. Since you do not want to spend a lot of time keeping your Edge clean, I would highly recommend picking up Poorboys Spray & Wipe. It's a waterless wash quick detailer that has lubricants in it so it won't scratch your paint. You can wash your Edge (light dirt, dust, pollen, etc) in about 5 minutes or so with this product. :)

For tire dressings, there is another thread in this section where I've provided some good products. I hope this helps.

I've been using Zaino products for years when I got my first new car (2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP S/C).

If you can spend about an hour on the car, I'd recommend giving it a thorough wash and then using a quick detailing spray like the Z6 or the "Grand Finale" spray they have (don't remember the Z* number).

Every 6 months to a year, try to find the time to polish the paint with the Z2 show car polish or the daily driver all in one stuff.

Actually, Zaino Z2 and Z5 are not polishes at all, they are merely sealants. :)

I'll suggest a product that is incredible. It's called Optimum No Rinse, or ONR for short. It is available in both US and Canada at different retailers. It's easy to use although the procedure is quite different from an ordinary wash. It is great if the car is not too dirty. You mix it up with water and do one section at a time, starting at the top and working down and then dry with a mf. Amazing stuff. I can give you some links to advice using it as well as where to buy it if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Yep, that's great stuff......especially for winter time washes!

Canuk - I just picked up my 2011 Bordeaux limited and I want to treat this right. So unlike my 2002 Montana which is being hauled away tomorrow there won't be any drive through car washes. Driveway washes during the more temperate climate is okay but what about this winter? How am I going to keep it clean? Hand spray washes? I'm not sure I'm even going to get a warm enough day to properly seal the paint - which is what I see you suggest instead of waxing. So the alternative is to get it detailed? It's pretty slushy here north of Toronto so any tips would help. I did peruse the eshine site so I guess that is a better option to purchase product than Canadian Tire? Any help/hints are appreciated.

:reading:

Is your car garaged, and enough room to wax it inside? Last year, I bought a heater that hooks up to propane, had the temp up to 71 F, whenit was 21 F outside. I too, DO NOT use car washes, UNLESS

it it a hand wash place. Found a place nearby, that does a hand wash, using mits, NO BRUSHES.

Canuk - I just picked up my 2011 Bordeaux limited and I want to treat this right. So unlike my 2002 Montana which is being hauled away tomorrow there won't be any drive through car washes. Driveway washes during the more temperate climate is okay but what about this winter? How am I going to keep it clean? Hand spray washes? I'm not sure I'm even going to get a warm enough day to properly seal the paint - which is what I see you suggest instead of waxing. So the alternative is to get it detailed? It's pretty slushy here north of Toronto so any tips would help. I did peruse the eshine site so I guess that is a better option to purchase product than Canadian Tire? Any help/hints are appreciated.

What I do to keep my vehicle clean in the winter is to take it to a local coin op and rinse off all of salt, sand, and dirt off of the paint. I simply rinse all of that off without anything actually touching my paint. Then I'll bring it home and do a rinseless wash with Optimum No Rinse. ONR is a fantastic product and comes in really handy in the winter. You can purchase this at www.eshine.ca Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

What I do to keep my vehicle clean in the winter is to take it to a local coin op and rinse off all of salt, sand, and dirt off of the paint. I simply rinse all of that off without anything actually touching my paint. Then I'll bring it home and do a rinseless wash with Optimum No Rinse. ONR is a fantastic product and comes in really handy in the winter. You can purchase this at www.eshine.ca Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

So when you say "rinse" do you really mean just "rinse" i.e. don't use the coin wash soap or go through the complete coin wash cycle of rinse-soap-rinse?

Thanks for your help to those of us who want to keep our "Edge" this winter.

So when you say "rinse" do you really mean just "rinse" i.e. don't use the coin wash soap or go through the complete coin wash cycle of rinse-soap-rinse?

Thanks for your help to those of us who want to keep our "Edge" this winter.

Yep, just a rinse only. I am usually in and out within 2-3 minutes to rinse everything off of my paint and undercarriage. Even with ONR, I don't use it all the time. The less things come in direct contact with your paint the better.

Bookworm, For an OTC wax and wash product Meguiars NXT gives you the most bang for the effort. I use Zaino. Its is sold only on line and is more work and better that Meguiars and lasts much longer. But for a low effort / big bling wash and wax system that you can buy at the corner store Meguiars is hard to beat.

Bookworm, For an OTC wax and wash product Meguiars NXT gives you the most bang for the effort. I use Zaino. Its is sold only on line and is more work and better that Meguiars and lasts much longer. But for a low effort / big bling wash and wax system that you can buy at the corner store Meguiars is hard to beat.

I picked up a bottle of the Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner and a lamb's wool mitt to get started. I'll check out the NXT next time I get by the store.