Lower Air Dam on limited

wilsons66604

Mine has an obvious 4" dam in front of the front tires, cant miss it. Its an SEL though.

They all have the lower air dam that runs across the front of the tires below the spoiler. I think the OP is referring to the pic from the autoblog review. If you look at that picture there is a small dam like piece in front of the tire that looks like it measures maybe 4 inches in length. Sort of like a reverse mudflap. His attached thumbnail is actually a picture of his Edge not the one in the review. My apologies if I'm wrong.

Edited by e-Mel

The picture that was attached is MY Edge Limited with NO air Dam. It was built on Sept 9th

The link to an AutoBlog pic shows the air dam on their test vehicle.

I wonder what is going on?? Will I get better gas mileage if I have the reverse mud flap installed???

I won't have it installed but it's weird that some have it and some don't.

What else am I missing out on?

wacko.gif

The picture that was attached is MY Edge Limited with NO air Dam. It was built on Sept 9th

I wonder what is going on?? Will I get better gas mileage if I have the reverse mud flap installed???

wacko.gif

I'm not so sure you are missing anything. That might be a protective flap put on by Ford when manufactured. I haven't noticed it on any other Edges. If anything it could hurt gas mileage being that it appears to be square and could create drag.

Edited by e-Mel

I'm not so sure you are missing anything. That might be a protective flap put on by Ford when manufactured. I haven't noticed it on any other Edges. If anything it could hurt gas mileage being that it appears to be square and could create drag.

brucemd says he has it on his.

As far as fuel mileage, I'm no aerodynamics engineer but I would venture to guess that there is a reason for the added part.

My Camry had a similar flap in front of the rear tires.

Have you seen Formula 1 cars? They have all kinds of square flaps, wings, and devices to trick the airflow. My GUESS is that this flap reduces turbulence that they have found in testing.

Turbulence that can reduce MPG performance.

UPDATE:

While I'm not an aerodynamics engineer, my son is. He has just told me that they are most likely put there for mileage

Edited by wilsons66604

wacko.gif

Mine was built about the same time, time to see the dealer and see if it is something that was left off.

I just looked at the Ford website. It's not on the either of the choices (Limited or the Sport) when you look at the 360° view. It's not in any of the Gallery shots that I could see.

Correct. But it appears it may be on the SEL models only. I think it's much ado about nothing.

Correct. But it appears it may be on the SEL models only. I think it's much ado about nothing.

The Auto Blog review and photos are form a Limited.

I ask WHY.

If it it is much to do about nothing, WHY did Ford bother to place the 4" air dam on the damn car? It's not packing material!

I'm putting on my tin foil hat and saying they figured out how to get another MPG. If they put the damn dam on the car, they could update the window sticker.

The Auto Blog review and photos are form a Limited.

I ask WHY.

If it it is much to do about nothing, WHY did Ford bother to place the 4" air dam on the damn car? It's not packing material!

I'm putting on my tin foil hat and saying they figured out how to get another MPG. If they put the damn dam on the car, they could update the window sticker.

I'm with you on this, If it is supposed to have it I want it!!!!!!!!

Sounds like it was left off at the factory, too dark and raining for me to go look at how it is attached. Go to the dealer and if the other Edges have it, start with your salesman and work your way up.

I'm with you on this, If it is supposed to have it I want it!!!!!!!!

Sounds like it was left off at the factory, too dark and raining for me to go look at how it is attached. Go to the dealer and if the other Edges have it, start with your salesman and work your way up.

I'm not sure about your sales relationship but I have determined that my salesman has LIED to me on every issue. Salesmen can not be trusted. They have ONE objective. Sell a car.

I will bypass him and start with the service dpt. Then Ford customer Service if I have to.

My Edge Limited does not have the flap. On the Edge website I do not see it either.

Also I have the 20 in. wheels...do you think that has something to do with it? Wilson what size are

your wheels? Maybe the others have 18 in. wheels?

My Edge Limited has 20" wheels and has the flap.

Edited by curlysir