SD Card/USB For Music

CanuckG35

A couple of questions for those of you who already have your new Edge.

* You can drag and drop MP3s on a USB stick, plug it into one of the USB slots and play music, correct? I remember when I had an Edge home for a couple of days test driving it that I was unable to. I forget what the exact message on the display was, but I wasn't able to play any MP3s from the USB stick.

* If you have a Navigation equipped Edge, can you take out the Navigation SD card and put in an SD card filled with music. I know that you can play MP3s from an SD card in the SD card slot, but I wasn't sure if taking out the Navigation SD card screwed anything up. The tester I had home didn't have Navigation so it wasn't an issue.

TIA.

Shane

A couple of questions for those of you who already have your new Edge.

* You can drag and drop MP3s on a USB stick, plug it into one of the USB slots and play music, correct? I remember when I had an Edge home for a couple of days test driving it that I was unable to. I forget what the exact message on the display was, but I wasn't able to play any MP3s from the USB stick.

* If you have a Navigation equipped Edge, can you take out the Navigation SD card and put in an SD card filled with music. I know that you can play MP3s from an SD card in the SD card slot, but I wasn't sure if taking out the Navigation SD card screwed anything up. The tester I had home didn't have Navigation so it wasn't an issue.

TIA.

Shane

Your navigation wouldn't work without the SD card in - but I believe it works.

I would think the MP3 should work on the USB but I have an old nano I am using for now - so... someone else will have that answer.

What is your updated delivery Shane?

Carrie

Your navigation wouldn't work without the SD card in - but I believe it works.

I would think the MP3 should work on the USB but I have an old nano I am using for now - so... someone else will have that answer.

What is your updated delivery Shane?

Carrie

Thanks Carrie. The last time I heard, expected delivery is towards the end of November. Still have another month of waiting! crying.gif

While I was waiting for my good Nav SD card to arrive, I was able to successfully listen to music on an 8GB SD card in the SD card slot. Now that I have Nav, that slot is no longer available for a music card, so I use a mini USB SD card reader and keep it plugged into one of the USB ports. Works great.

While I was waiting for my good Nav SD card to arrive, I was able to successfully listen to music on an 8GB SD card in the SD card slot. Now that I have Nav, that slot is no longer available for a music card, so I use a mini USB SD card reader and keep it plugged into one of the USB ports. Works great.

Nice feature.....

Thanks for the info folks. I wonder why the USB sticks that I tried didn't work on the Edge that I had home. Strange.

Is it possibly formatted NTFS? Edge can only read FAT32.

I have favorites in my phone, but in my car I want all of my music. I'll be getting my Edge when just as it's time to switch to Christmas music. yahoo.gif

Anyway...I've been assembling a lot of info on what Sync needs to use a storage device as a media player. I bought a USB hard drive to use and had work around Windows limitations when formatting drives. Windows can only format up to 32 GB using FAT32. I had to use a separate program to format my HD.

I've also learned way more than I ever wanted to know about m3u playlists, but I've worked out how to get all of my music and my playlists from iTunes onto my HD and still have the playlists point to the correct location.

Now I'm all set. Just waiting for my Edge. :(

-Tonya

I have favorites in my phone, but in my car I want all of my music. I'll be getting my Edge when just as it's time to switch to Christmas music. yahoo.gif

Anyway...I've been assembling a lot of info on what Sync needs to use a storage device as a media player. I bought a USB hard drive to use and had work around Windows limitations when formatting drives. Windows can only format up to 32 GB using FAT32. I had to use a separate program to format my HD.

I've also learned way more than I ever wanted to know about m3u playlists, but I've worked out how to get all of my music and my playlists from iTunes onto my HD and still have the playlists point to the correct location.

-Tonya

Interesting.

Will the USB port be able to power the HD?

Interesting.

I would hope so, most of these smaller USB Hard Drives only need USB for power, my question would be around performance.

My experience is this a small 2GB flash drive filled all the way up, only about 270 songs or so works very well wtih the command "play song one week", it plays pretty quickly 1-3 seconds, where as I have my old iPhone 3G plugged in as well, it only has about 870 songs or so (I know that is all I have today) but when I give it the same command it take a good 5-10 seconds longer to start the track.

I would be interested in getting a bigger Flash Drive / USB Hard Drive, but am concerned about the performance. Is anyone using a large drive and if so, how is the performance?

Interesting.

It should with no problem. It's a small 2.5" size that has one USB for data and power.

I would be interested in getting a bigger Flash Drive / USB Hard Drive, but am concerned about the performance. Is anyone using a large drive and if so, how is the performance?

Now that's what I'm not sure about. I've read posts by people in other forums who say they've done it. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but performance is the big question. There is a recommended max drive size of 100 gb. Also, Sync can't handle more than 15,000 "grammar objects" but exact duplicates only count as 1. (1000 songs by Frank Sinatra is one "grammar object" for artist) I don't have anywhere near the numbers these people were talking.

If it doesn't perform well, I'll still have a useful portable hard drive that I can use for other things.

-Tonya

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I actually have my new Edge, I can report that using the USB Hard Drive is working great. No lags at all. I'm very happy with it.

My last worry will have to wait until the really hot weather returns. High temps over 100 might be the only thing that kills this arrangement.

That's cool! Good to hear that the USB can power it. I wouldn't think that 100 degrees would be a problem. Some laptops get hotter than that.

Now that I actually have my new Edge, I can report that using the USB Hard Drive is working great. No lags at all. I'm very happy with it.

My last worry will have to wait until the really hot weather returns. High temps over 100 might be the only thing that kills this arrangement.

I also tried a 320GB HD I picked up at Walmart for like 55 bucks and it is working very well, much faster reponse then I thought it would be, other then the Alpha issue where everything plays in Alpha order no matter what. I just found out on this board this morning that there is a new SYNC update out there for us, I know Wilson is going to try and get it installed ASAP, so maybe this will fix the Alpha issue, as well as other general weirdness.

-Tonya

Tonya - Glad to hear you now have your EDGE and the HD is working well, you mention you loaded up many playlists, I would like to ask if you use the Play Album "Blah Blah" does it play the tracks in correct order? Or perhaps you created a Playlist for each Album, I am thinking of going that route....

Jason -

Tonya - Glad to hear you now have your EDGE and the HD is working well, you mention you loaded up many playlists, I would like to ask if you use the Play Album "Blah Blah" does it play the tracks in correct order? Or perhaps you created a Playlist for each Album, I am thinking of going that route....

Jason -

I haven't tried that yet. I'll find an album that I'm sure has track numbers associated with it and let you know.

One thing I don't like is that shuffle plays songs in the exact same random order every time. It seems that once the randomness is assigned, it stays that way. To my way of thinking, that's not how shuffle should work. I wouldn't be using shuffle if I wanted them to play that way.

Edited by tonyabionda

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure it's FAT32 only. I had to download a utility because of the Windows 32GB FAT32 limitation.

Update on "Play Album" I'm not sure what order it plays in, but it's not by track number. Didn't seem to be alpha either.

My wishlist: True Shuffle and Play in Track Number Order when playing album with shuffle off.