ordered my limited AWD. dealer says they can give no discount?

mchotdog

hey guys! i ordered my edge limited AWD with canadian turing package 1 month ago.

at the time, we had canadian employee discount here at the time. my ford came to 38,290 before taxes and fees. it was the price from ford website.

when i went to the dealers, they told me that they can give me no discount at all because ford canada require them to sell at that price for everyone

i offered to pay cash and they still wont give me any further discount. so it came to about 44,000 after tax and dealer fee.

i tried a different dealer and got the same answer. so i went ahead and ordered it.

do you guys think the price was fair? they give me no further discount other than the ford wesite discount.

thanks

I bought a membership to Carcostcanada.com for $50 which gives you the bottom line, invoice cost for 10 different models of cars. I priced out an MKX prior to going in and it was accurate. Ford pays the dealer a commission for selling the car. Any further discount would come out of there. I also got the Cosco discount, the A plan discount and the Ford financing discount. Carcostcanada tells you all the programs that are out on a car including hidden ones to the dealer. It's worth every penny. I priced out an MKS, MKX and a Hyundai Genesis sedan.

• 4 weeks later...

could you provide more info on how to order a car from the US? And is the warranty valid in Canada?

I can see there is a big price difference for Ford edge between the US and Canada. It is unfair that Canadians have to pay much more for the same car. Maybe it is worth it to get a car from the US since it is only one hour drive to the US border.

hey guys! i ordered my edge limited AWD with canadian turing package 1 month ago.

at the time, we had canadian employee discount here at the time. my ford came to 38,290 before taxes and fees. it was the price from ford website.

when i went to the dealers, they told me that they can give me no discount at all because ford canada require them to sell at that price for everyone

i offered to pay cash and they still wont give me any further discount. so it came to about 44,000 after tax and dealer fee.

i tried a different dealer and got the same answer. so i went ahead and ordered it.

do you guys think the price was fair? they give me no further discount other than the ford wesite discount.

thanks

I bought a membership to Carcostcanada.com for $50 which gives you the bottom line, invoice cost for 10 different models of cars. I priced out an MKX prior to going in and it was accurate. Ford pays the dealer a commission for selling the car. Any further discount would come out of there. I also got the Cosco discount, the A plan discount and the Ford financing discount. Carcostcanada tells you all the programs that are out on a car including hidden ones to the dealer. It's worth every penny. I priced out an MKS, MKX and a Hyundai Genesis sedan.

Totally agree richy. It's totally worth it. After I generated a report, the dealership that partnered with CarCostCanada called and offered me the car (Edge Limited AWD + packages) at the wholesale price + $300. We ended up talking him out of adding that $300. Plus, the report tells you about the factory to dealer incentives as well. Ford was also offering an additional $4000 off for extended term finance (which carries an outrageous interest rate but we were told to just pay it off after a month - no penalty).

For anyone buying a new car, equip yourself with one of these reports and you should be able to walk out with a pretty good deal. I believe most Ford dealers will do pretty close to the wholesale price because the dealer still makes an additional 2-3% of base MSRP because of factory holdbacks.

Now, just gotta wait another 4-5 weeks for them to deliver the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

Mushroom88 - I went with the $4000 extended term financing on my 2011 Edge Limited. But others on the forum are saying that the $4000 goes to the bank and not to the customer. Do you know how your dealer is applying the credit?

The way I understood it was that the bank would get the $4000 after the second loan payment and that $4000 would be applied to the principal balance of the loan. I also plan to pay out the loan with another one at a rate that is a lot less than the dealership negotiated one.

Mushroom88 - I went with the $4000 extended term financing on my 2011 Edge Limited. But others on the forum are saying that the $4000 goes to the bank and not to the customer. Do you know how your dealer is applying the credit?

The way I understood it was that the bank would get the $4000 after the second loan payment and that $4000 would be applied to the principal balance of the loan. I also plan to pay out the loan with another one at a rate that is a lot less than the dealership negotiated one.

The way you understand it is not the way I have been told by 3 dealerships now. The $4,000 is to reduce your interest rate and Ford pays the $4,000 to the bank to get them to reduce it. You do not get the $4,000 nor do you get it off the price of your vehicle ):.

The way you understand it is not the way I have been told by 3 dealerships now. The $4,000 is to reduce your interest rate and Ford pays the $4,000 to the bank to get them to reduce it. You do not get the $4,000 nor do you get it off the price of your vehicle ):.

That makes sense. If it was going towards the cost of the vehicle it would just be a regular rebate.

hancop, I am fine with you stating this. However, i did get the $4000 off my negotiated price. I just talked to my dealer again this morning to confirm this. They have done many of these allowances and they have done them the way I explained. Maybe the Toronto dealerships do it differently. Not sure. I have had two dealers in Edmonton tell me they take the $4000 off after we agree to a negotiated price and that the Dealer gets the allowance since it is a Factory to Dealership allowance not a Factory to Bank allowance.

hancop, I am fine with you stating this. However, i did get the $4000 off my negotiated price. I just talked to my dealer again this morning to confirm this. They have done many of these allowances and they have done them the way I explained. Maybe the Toronto dealerships do it differently. Not sure. I have had two dealers in Edmonton tell me they take the $4000 off after we agree to a negotiated price and that the Dealer gets the allowance since it is a Factory to Dealership allowance not a Factory to Bank allowance.

That's exactly how my dealer explained it to me as well (we are in Alberta). We first agreed on a discount amount off the MSRP, then the dealership factored in all the incentives which like you said are Factory to Dealer incentives.

My dealer said exactly the same thing yours did that "They have done many of these allowances before" and you get the price reduction right away. One thing he did mention was just to wait for one or two months (so the bank can make a little money) and then pay it off.

Edited by mushroom88

One thing he did mention was just to wait for one or two months (so the bank can make a little money) and then pay it off.

Dealerships get added flooring bonuses based on financing even through outside banks. Something to remember is that only the owner of the dealership and his accountant know the true profit on the cars.

thanks

Is the $38,289 from the Ford.ca or the ford.com site? the MSRP on the Ford.ca site for the AWD limited plus the touring package is $43,050 ($41,650 + $1,400). Your $38,290 seems to be a deal. The Invoice on this would be around $41,500 (includes the freight fee) for the dealership prior to their bonuses from Ford.

• 1 month later...