Rustproofing - what are you doing??

Dreamss

Hey Everyone!

I need some help figuring out what I'll be doing with regards to rust proofing once my Edge arrives and have no idea what to do :(

I live in Montreal, Quebec, winters are nasty and so is the salt they use on the road, it eats cars alive.

The dealer is trying to sell me on their in house paraffin wax application done by them, I forget the brand right now (have the papers at home) but it runs $600 and they says it's "guaranteed" for something like 5 or 7 years if I remember right.

They tried to "scare" me by saying that it's better that I go with this as they wont drill holes in the body of the vehicle as they dismantle the parts to apply it whereas if I go with an alternate brand (outside) that does drill holes (as most do), should something structural happen to the car my warranty would be voided, possibly the electronics to if the outside company over sprays on wires etc…which worried me based on how high tech the new Edge is.

I got my old car rust proofed via chemical application, it's a nice rubbery compound and it ran me around $110.00 a year for my previous car and I had it done years on end, in a 5 years spent I spent over $500 on this stuff so doing it at the dealer for $600 would more or less come out to the same thing, it would just be in 1 payment vs. several.

However, reading the net for suggestions, most people say the dealer stuff is crap and one of the top recommendations is Krown. Krown got tons of great reviews but they are in good company with a few other brands that people rated highly.

The company I used to go with is DuraTech, not sure if only Montreal based but I had really liked the stuff but it was messy and you can almost taste it in the car for a few days..i also found the interior to get sorta "slimy" from the overspray. We have a company called "Metropolitain" here but it really blows, it's pure oil and people that have used it that I know personally, hate it.

So, what are all of you doing with regards to rust proofing? Any advice, suggestions or feedback is welcome!

Thanks!

Tony

II live in Kansas and we have a fair amount of snow/ice salt/sand during the winters but I bet it's nothing like Montreal.

I've never rustproofed any of my cars and I haven't seen rust on my cars in the past 15-20 years.

Do the new cars still rust in Montreal? I would think that the new materials used in modern cars would prevent the rust from starting.

I don't know about the effects of a Montreal winter, but from what I understand, in the last 20 years or so because of the manufacturing process where the car is basically "dipped", there should no longer be a reason to get further rust proofing. I have also heard that anything a dealer installs does nothing.

Now, after a car is about 15 years old and has possibly gotten some dents or scratches where rust can take hold, that is another story, but here in St. Louis where we get some snow/salt, I have not rustproofed any of the 4 new cars I have bought in the last 21 years and never had rust appear on any of them.

I agree, everything I've seen and read indicates that modern-day rustproofing is a scam. You can't get any better protection than what is already incorporated into manufacturing processes these days.

If you get any damage/dings/scratches, though, rust can always take hold. But that's going to happen even if you do go for third-party "rustproofing".

Hey Everyone!

I need some help figuring out what I'll be doing with regards to rust proofing once my Edge arrives and have no idea what to do :(

I live in Montreal, Quebec, winters are nasty and so is the salt they use on the road, it eats cars alive.

The dealer is trying to sell me on their in house paraffin wax application done by them, I forget the brand right now (have the papers at home) but it runs $600 and they says it's "guaranteed" for something like 5 or 7 years if I remember right.

They tried to "scare" me by saying that it's better that I go with this as they wont drill holes in the body of the vehicle as they dismantle the parts to apply it whereas if I go with an alternate brand (outside) that does drill holes (as most do), should something structural happen to the car my warranty would be voided, possibly the electronics to if the outside company over sprays on wires etc…which worried me based on how high tech the new Edge is.

I got my old car rust proofed via chemical application, it's a nice rubbery compound and it ran me around $110.00 a year for my previous car and I had it done years on end, in a 5 years spent I spent over $500 on this stuff so doing it at the dealer for $600 would more or less come out to the same thing, it would just be in 1 payment vs. several.

However, reading the net for suggestions, most people say the dealer stuff is crap and one of the top recommendations is Krown. Krown got tons of great reviews but they are in good company with a few other brands that people rated highly.

The company I used to go with is DuraTech, not sure if only Montreal based but I had really liked the stuff but it was messy and you can almost taste it in the car for a few days..i also found the interior to get sorta "slimy" from the overspray. We have a company called "Metropolitain" here but it really blows, it's pure oil and people that have used it that I know personally, hate it.

So, what are all of you doing with regards to rust proofing? Any advice, suggestions or feedback is welcome!

Thanks!

Tony

Interesting question. I live in Michigan, did not rust proof my previous car (2002 Dodge Durango) and it is now getting a lot of rust on it. Especially the undercarriage.

I wonder what some of the professional detailers on this site have to say about it. I asked the detailer that I took my edge to and they did recommend getting it rust proofed.

My husband had his truck done, the stuff is nasty and drips all over for a few days and smells terrible. Don't know if I want to subject my edge to that.

Is rust proofing your undercarriage a scam? Absolutely not!! Is it as required on today's vehicles as it was 15 years ago? No.

If you turn over your vehicles every few years, I wouldn't say it's needed. But if you keep your vehicles for extended periods of time, I would absolutely get it done annually.

Tony, if you plan on getting it done, Krowne does an excellent job!

Is rust proofing your undercarriage a scam? Absolutely not!! Is it as required on today's vehicles as it was 15 years ago? No.

If you turn over your vehicles every few years, I wouldn't say it's needed. But if you keep your vehicles for extended periods of time, I would absolutely get it done annually.

Tony, if you plan on getting it done, Krowne does an excellent job!

I could see spraying the undercarriage I guess but if anything requires drilling holes ... I would avoid it. It seems like that would screw up the integrity of the car and let moisture into places it was never supposed to be in.

Who am I to talk? I've gone through 6 new cars in 8 years and none of them showed any signs of rust. Hmmm

I could see spraying the undercarriage I guess but if anything requires drilling holes ... I would avoid it. It seems like that would screw up the integrity of the car and let moisture into places it was never supposed to be in.

Who am I to talk? I've gone through 6 new cars in 8 years and none of them showed any signs of rust. Hmmm

6 cars in 8 years???? do you have a commitment problem? :)

I try to keep a car 10 years - with 5 years financing - so we always end up with a car payment, but neither car is really that old. I haven't had a rust issue since I got away from subaru's. One was so bad that I had to disconnect the wind shield fluid tank because I got tired of having to keep kicking it back into the car each morning.

6 cars in 8 years???? do you have a commitment problem? :)

I try to keep a car 10 years - with 5 years financing - so we always end up with a car payment, but neither car is really that old. I haven't had a rust issue since I got away from subaru's. One was so bad that I had to disconnect the wind shield fluid tank because I got tired of having to keep kicking it back into the car each morning.

EDIT: Let me start by saying that is is TMI...What the hell

Commitment problem??? Who? Me??? Ask my Ex (I only have one ex)

I guess you could say I'm going through my Late Life Crisis (is there such a thing?)

I've paid my dues. I've had my spell of "kicking water bottles". There was a stretch of time (1980-2000) where I drove a 1955 Dodge (no seat belts, airbags, or HEAT, a hard metal dashboard). There were no washer bottle to worry about and it started everyday.

I tell myself that every car I buy is the last one...but I never opt for the extended warranty or rust prevention because I KNOW I will want a new car soon. The tech is so intriguing. I heard about My Ford Touch and had to have it. Good thing it came out on a Edge first! I don't see myself driving a Focus.

I vote NO on rust protection

Edited by wilsons66604

EDIT: Let me start by saying that is is TMI...What the hell

Commitment problem??? Who? Me??? Ask my Ex (I only have one ex)

I guess you could say I'm going through my Late Life Crisis (is there such a thing?)

I've paid my dues. I've had my spell of "kicking water bottles". There was a stretch of time (1980-2000) where I drove a 1955 Dodge (no seat belts, airbags, or HEAT, a hard metal dashboard). There were no washer bottle to worry about and it started everyday.

I tell myself that every car I buy is the last one...but I never opt for the extended warranty or rust prevention because I KNOW I will want a new car soon. The tech is so intriguing. I heard about My Ford Touch and had to have it. Good thing it came out on a Edge first! I don't see myself driving a Focus.

I vote NO on rust protection

Oh so sorry Wilson - I was just teasing about the cars... not anything serious. I didn't mean to offend.

No offense taken Choff. I was making fun of myself.

I know I'm out of control but I'm having fun!

Still NO on the rust proofing

Turd making me feel bad at 7am - that just isn't nice.

I wish I could be out of control with cars. and trips..... but no. better pretend to start working.

And I vote no on rust proofing.

Edited by choff1138