WiFi hotspot working?

I've been trying to get the WiFi hotspot feature working on my 2011 Edge, but no luck.

I have a USB card with AT&T service (the Mercury model) that ought to work -- I know it works on my laptop...

When I plug it in, the car seems to see it (I can select it on the screen).

I go to the WiFi screen, and tell the car to create a hotspot... then I try to connect to that hotspot from a laptop.

I can connect, and I get an IP address -- but I can't get out to the internet.....

Has anybody made this work?

I've been trying to get the WiFi hotspot feature working on my 2011 Edge, but no luck.

I have a USB card with AT&T service (the Mercury model) that ought to work -- I know it works on my laptop...

I go to the WiFi screen, and tell the car to create a hotspot... then I try to connect to that hotspot from a laptop.

I can connect, and I get an IP address -- but I can't get out to the internet.....

There isn't actually a browser yet to go to the internet on the car - it makes a hot spot for your computer to work. Next year....

I know there's no browser yet.

I asked how to make the hotspot function work.

I can create the hotspot, and join it, but it seems that devices on the hotspot can only talk to each other, and traffic isn't routed out my USB data card to the internet.

Sorry - misunderstood the question. Not sure.

This is one of the reasons, why I'm excited for my Sport to show up... i sure hope the function works!! I'll let you know how I progress on this, as I get a chance to play around next week (Hopefully, for Gods Sake! Taking long enough! :D ). From my understanding, the hotspot will only activate while in park correct? You're capable of 'connecting' to the Edge, but the wifi is 'aquiring address', or something of this nature on your laptop? Is this whats going on?

Edited by Cuffer

This is one of the reasons, why I'm excited for my Sport to show up... i sure hope it works!! I'll let you know how I progress on this, as I play around with the WiFi. From my understanding, the hotspot will only activate while in park correct? You're capable of 'connecting' to the Edge, but the wifi is 'aquiring address', or something of this nature? Is that whats going on?

In park, I even get an address... but I can't access anything on the device.

It's like I joined a private network that has no internet access.

Wireless client has an IP and a default gateway assigned from the Ford Edge, but that's about it!

Let me know what you find...

This is one of the reasons, why I'm excited for my Sport to show up... i sure hope the function works!! I'll let you know how I progress on this, as I get a chance to play around next week (Hopefully, for Gods Sake! Taking long enough! :D ). From my understanding, the hotspot will only activate while in park correct? You're capable of 'connecting' to the Edge, but the wifi is 'aquiring address', or something of this nature on your laptop? Is this whats going on?

The current version of the WiFi stuff has no browser and that is what would be disabled until you are parked. Current functionality is limited.

They are now showing that you can plug a Verizon (or other) USB 3g modem into the USB port and connect to it. You then setup your Edge to serve as the hotspot for other devices (like laptop) in your car WHILE DRIVING. Kinda of useless unless you run a carpool with several people wanting to use their laptops.

I was disappointed when I saw that.

I also hoped I could have the Edge connect to my JailBroken iPhone's MiFi but so far it hasn't been able to connect to it. It says the security key is wrong...even if I have no security set on the iPhone.

I have been able to tether via bluetooth my iPhone4 to the EDGE. The WiFi is always on but when i go into the phone settings (on MFT) into "internet settings" and select PAN from the options, the phone starts piping some sweet 3G over WiFi to my iPad and other devices inside the car. Works great for me!

I have been able to tether via bluetooth my iPhone4 to the EDGE. The WiFi is always on but when i go into the phone settings (on MFT) into "internet settings" and select PAN from the options, the phone starts piping some sweet 3G over WiFi to my iPad and other devices inside the car. Works great for me!

Are you using the Tether Plan from ATT? or are you jailbroken?

I would LOVE to know how you did it! I've spent several hours trying to get tethering from my iPhone 4 to work. I have tethering activated on my non-jailbroken iPhone 4. I can connect to it from my MacBook Pro and Alienware without issue via both bluetooth and USB. When I try either in the Edge, it's a no go.

When I go to Bluetooth settings from the wireless setup screen, and Select Internet Data Connection, I see a flash of a screen that show DUN and PAN options and other stuff I can't read quikcly enough. I get stuck on a

/Phone/Internet Settings setup screen that is black with no input options. The phone pairs fine with the Edge for all other stuff, but this just isn't working. VERY frustrating and there doesn't seem to be any worthwhile documentation available on the subject.

If you can provide any enlightenment, it would be GREATLY appreacited! :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Get a Verizon android based phone and an app called easyroot. Then download another app called easytether. It turns the phone into a hotspot you can share with everyone.

Or get an Android phone with Froyo and WiFi hotspot tethering is built right in. Currently connecting without issue with a Galaxy S.

Very disappointed that none of the actual services on the MyFord or Sync take advantage of this. Makes it kind of pointless feature at this time for anyone whose phone acts as a tether by pretending to be a wifi hotspot. In my situation, why connect the car to the Android and then have friends in the car connect to the car, they could all just connect to the Android directly.

I wonder if the Edge's hotspot broadcast reaches out further than the phone's would...might find some use case for that, but can't think of anything compelling right now.

• 4 weeks later...

The current version of the WiFi stuff has no browser and that is what would be disabled until you are parked. Current functionality is limited.

They are now showing that you can plug a Verizon (or other) USB 3g modem into the USB port and connect to it. You then setup your Edge to serve as the hotspot for other devices (like laptop) in your car WHILE DRIVING. Kinda of useless unless you run a carpool with several people wanting to use their laptops.

I was disappointed when I saw that.

I also hoped I could have the Edge connect to my JailBroken iPhone's MiFi but so far it hasn't been able to connect to it. It says the security key is wrong...even if I have no security set on the iPhone.

I've tried to use a Verizon USB "air card" device, but Sync doesn't recognize the device. Has anyone used the Verizon USB cards?

• 3 months later...

I've tried to use a Verizon USB "air card" device, but Sync doesn't recognize the device. Has anyone used the Verizon USB cards?

I haven't tried Verizon, but I know it won't work with my AT&T USB card.

So far, the only success I've heard of is using Bluetooth to get the car connected to the internet - then it sounds like the car's wifi hotspot functionality works....

• 3 months later...

My goal was to "simply" use the Edge's built-in WiFi (no USB WiFi dongle) as a WiFi client, then once I would have successfully connected to an external hot spot, second objective was to define the Edge as an Access point so I could have a laptop link wirelessly to the Edge's Access point and then go out to that vast Internet. Two observations:

1. I've been trying to get this to work on several occasions over the last month, needless to say, without success; using my home secured WPA2, or even trying to connect to several public unsecured hot spots. And TONIGHT, it decided to work, with unsecured AND secured wireless networks. What changed? 2 things: 1- Cisco E3000 router replacing a Linksys WRT54G v5 router (Linksys still does those Exxxx routers, so I don't see this change of router a the key, but then maybe...); 2- For this test, I first disabled Access point functionality, tried to get the Edge to connect to an external hot spot through the Edge's WiFi client and finally reactivated the Access point functionality... and my wireless iPad was able to connect to the Internet, it worked !!! Anybody else experience this *delay in functionality* ?
  2. If my passagengers have wireless capability to connect to the Edge<s WiFi Access point, why not directly connect to the external hot spot and bypass Sync idiosynchonisms ?

If my passagengers have wireless capability to connect to the Edge

It's intended to work with a 3g/4g wireless phone connection which would not be available to all devices in the car directly (you can share one 4g usb modem with 4 laptops/smart phones e.g.).

It's also intended to let you use the built-in web browser that is planned but I fear that got pushed back due to all the mft/sync problems. Once you get the web browser you can connect to a wi-fi hot spot and browse from the vehicle display.

Otherwise you're correct - there's no benefit.

• 3 months later...

It's intended to work with a 3g/4g wireless phone connection which would not be available to all devices in the car directly (you can share one 4g usb modem with 4 laptops/smart phones e.g.).

It's also intended to let you use the built-in web browser that is planned but I fear that got pushed back due to all the mft/sync problems. Once you get the web browser you can connect to a wi-fi hot spot and browse from the vehicle display.

Otherwise you're correct - there's no benefit.

Guys,

My MKX 2011 will be 1 year old this month, and first when I bought this I also tried to use the access point with no success. I went through the same problems, for instance the access point will tell the password used is wrong. I was trying to connect to my home access point to see if it will work, but the sad thing is ford told me there is no USB stick in Canada that is supported at the moment. The only way it works is if you use bluetooth, but believe me this feature is useless since you can create a hotspot with your Iphone or Android.