The original My Ford Touch presented Jan 2010

wilsons66604

I just came across this article from Jan. 2010

This is what Ford was promising at CES.

Since January, Ford has quietly removed several features form MFT

This is an interesting read

Browser?

DailyTech received exclusive information on another important feature of the upcoming system -- a browser. You can only use MyFord Touch's new browser when parked, but the proprietary (Ford designed) browser should be handy for mobile connectivity. The browser is built on WebKit, which forms the basis of Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari browsers.

Anyone seen this option??

Another new feature is settings portability. When you get a new MyFord Touch vehicle (or whatever its successor will be called), you can put your preferences -- color scheme, your radio presets, your music tags, your seat position, etc. -- on a USB stick or even on an SD card, via the new slot found in upcoming MyFord Touch vehicles.

post-9129-000838400 1288619706_thumb.jpg

[This is what Ford was promising at CES.

Since January, Ford has quietly removed several features form MFT[/size][/font]

You can't remove something if it never existed. Ford never promised that all of those features would be available day 1 (as far as I can tell). Nor have I seen anything that says those features won't eventually be available (we know the web browser is coming e.g.).

Is it possible those features were planned for job 1 and got removed at the last minute? Sure - happens all the time with software development.

As long as those things aren't advertised as being available on the 2011 Edge job 1 I don't see the problem (although I can understand the disappointment). It's more correct to say these features were discussed but not yet delivered.

You can't remove something if it never existed. Ford never promised that all of those features would be available day 1 (as far as I can tell). Nor have I seen anything that says those features won't eventually be available (we know the web browser is coming e.g.).

Is it possible those features were planned for job 1 and got removed at the last minute? Sure - happens all the time with software development.

As long as those things aren't advertised as being available on the 2011 Edge job 1 I don't see the problem (although I can understand the disappointment). It's more correct to say these features were discussed but not yet delivered.

These features were fed to the press and Ford cleverly danced around the subject of what was going to be available in what. I ordered my Edge based on deceptive marketing by Ford. Ford said they were partnered with Apple. To my dismay, that didn't mean squat!

I never found any documents outlining what features were included in this version of My Ford Touch or stating that these features will not be available in my 2011 edge when I was ordering. The only information I had is the BS they fed to the press.

Ford: Cleverly Deceptive

Edited by wilsons66604

These features were fed to the press and Ford cleverly danced around the subject of what was going to be available in what. I ordered my Edge based on deceptive marketing by Ford. Ford said they were partnered with Apple. To my dismay, that didn't mean squat!

I never found any documents outlining what features were included in this version of My Ford Touch or stating that these features will not be available in my 2011 edge when I was ordering. The only information I had is the BS they fed to the press.

That was a blog report of an interview with a Ford designer. This was not Ford advertising, nor was it BS. If you bought a car based on a blogger's report then go blame the blogger, not Ford. Ford published demos of the Edge system and I don't recall seeing the features you're griping about.

Unless you have some press release or other document from FORD saying this would be available on the 2011 Edge job 1 then you simply made a really bad assumption. There's no deception here or false advertising. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.

• Like 1

That was a blog report of an interview with a Ford designer. This was not Ford advertising, nor was it BS. If you bought a car based on a blogger's report then go blame the blogger, not Ford. Ford published demos of the Edge system and I don't recall seeing the features you're griping about.

Unless you have some press release or other document from FORD saying this would be available on the 2011 Edge job 1 then you simply made a really bad assumption. There's no deception here or false advertising. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.

I bought the car for many reasons. I didn't get the full feature set that was being reported.

This was one of many news articles released at CES. Ford was spinning this to the bloggers.

I am a member of the general public and have no idea what this "Job 1" crap is. While some people (like you) may have seen through the deception, others did not.

I bought the car for many reasons. I didn't get the full feature set that was being reported.

This was one of many news articles released at CES. Ford was spinning this to the bloggers.

I am a member of the general public and have no idea what this "Job 1" crap is. While some people (like you) may have seen through the deception, others did not.

Ford also mentioned that a 2.0L Ecoboost engine would be available in the 2011 Edge. However, it won't be available until early next year. Is that deception also?

You don't seem to understand the difference between reporting and advertising. The blogger was reporting the capabilities of the system. Nowhere did Ford state exactly which features would be available in exactly which vehicle on which date or model year.

Those features didn't disappear - they just didn't make it into release 1. This happens in software releases every day.

Show me where Ford advertised those features on the 2011 Edge and I'll agree with you. Otherwise you're just guilty of making bad assumptions.

• Like 1

Ford also mentioned that a 2.0L Ecoboost engine would be available in the 2011 Edge. However, it won't be available until early next year. Is that deception also?

You don't seem to understand the difference between reporting and advertising. The blogger was reporting the capabilities of the system. Nowhere did Ford state exactly which features would be available in exactly which vehicle on which date or model year.

Those features didn't disappear - they just didn't make it into release 1. This happens in software releases every day.

Show me where Ford advertised those features on the 2011 Edge and I'll agree with you. Otherwise you're just guilty of making bad assumptions.

Here is one Ford release that states :

MyFord Touch-equipped vehicles will feature a WiFi signal receiver that will provide Internet access, when parked, through a Ford-developed web browser using the system’s 8-inch touch screen. Also, inserting an owner’s compatible USB mobile broadband modem into SYNC’s USB port will produce a secure wireless connection that will be broadcast throughout the vehicle, allowing passengers with WiFi-enabled mobile devices to access the Internet while on the go.

Here is an article that mentions the phone features. No mention of it only working on a couple of phones

• Phone book contact photo download and 3-D carousel browsing
  • Birthday reminders
  • Enhanced error correction and reporting

I'm also a member of the general public. I don't know what your buying experience was, however when I purchased I had brochures and a web-site that clearly stated the cars features & specs.

Most importantly, I waited until I could test drive the car and verify it had the features I wanted/needed. My first test drive Sync was not available as they did not properly initialize it. So when they asked if we could work out an offer, I simply replied "after I can try out sync".

If you're the gadget geek you claim to be, you should be aware from years of history that you never get everything in 1.0. How many years did it take Jobs to include something as simple as copy & paste in that running calamity called IPhone? That was actually promised by the CEO with a specific time-frame that was not met.

Hey sorry you're having buyers remorse - but in my opinion it was preventable. The Edge is an excellent truck, with loads of features and I'm sure it will continue lead in innovation for years to come. Quite frankly, most of the features you're wanting are available on your phone anyhow - use it in the interim. I'm sure Ford will continue to extend and expand Sync while the other makers play catchup.

I'm also a member of the general public. I don't know what your buying experience was, however when I purchased I had brochures and a web-site that clearly stated the cars features & specs.

Most importantly, I waited until I could test drive the car and verify it had the features I wanted/needed. My first test drive Sync was not available as they did not properly initialize it. So when they asked if we could work out an offer, I simply replied "after I can try out sync".

If you're the gadget geek you claim to be, you should be aware from years of history that you never get everything in 1.0. How many years did it take Jobs to include something as simple as copy & paste in that running calamity called IPhone? That was actually promised by the CEO with a specific time-frame that was not met.

Hey sorry you're having buyers remorse - but in my opinion it was preventable. The Edge is an excellent truck, with loads of features and I'm sure it will continue lead in innovation for years to come. Quite frankly, most of the features you're wanting are available on your phone anyhow - use it in the interim. I'm sure Ford will continue to extend and expand Sync while the other makers play catchup.

I never mentioned that I had buyers remorse. I am glad I bought the Edge and understand that not all features are here now but hope they will be at a later date.

I was simply revisiting the original announcement in January and what is not included in our version.

Here is one Ford release that states :

MyFord Touch-equipped vehicles will feature a WiFi signal receiver that will provide Internet access, when parked, through a Ford-developed web browser using the system’s 8-inch touch screen. Also, inserting an owner’s compatible USB mobile broadband modem into SYNC’s USB port will produce a secure wireless connection that will be broadcast throughout the vehicle, allowing passengers with WiFi-enabled mobile devices to access the Internet while on the go.

Late availability means it's coming later, as in not right now. You'll get it.......later. Don't blame Ford for your lack of reading comprehension.

Ford web browser

MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch will also incorporate a custom, webkit-based Internet browser (late availability) designed to take advantage of the system’s built-in 8-inch LCD touch screen. Using the browser, drivers and passengers can navigate to their favorite sites whenever the vehicle is in “Park” and an Internet connection is available, either through a USB broadband modem connected to SYNC or when SYNC is able to find a WiFi “hotspot.”

Here is an article that mentions the phone features. No mention of it only working on a couple of phones

• Phone book contact photo download and 3-D carousel browsing
  • Birthday reminders
  • Enhanced error correction and reporting

I don't think you quite understand how Sync works with cell phones. Sync is a stand alone device with a bluetooth phone interface. Ford has programmed the bluetooth interface to use certain standard bluetooth features. However, Ford has NO control over cell phone mfrs and how they code their bluetooth interface. The fact that some phones work says that Ford has coded their side correctly and most problems are on the cell phone side - which Ford has NO control over. The cell phone lists on syncmyride.com are merely the result of Ford's tests with specific phones. They can't possibly fully test every phone on the market nor can they force phone mfrs to use the bluetooth interface correctly or to provide the necessary features required to make the system work.

I was simply revisiting the original announcement in January and what is not included in our version.

No, you specifically said Ford was being deceptive and implying that certain features would be available and they're not. That is not the case at all. The web browser specifically was called out by Ford as not being available initially.

Late availability means it's coming later, as in not right now. You'll get it.......later. Don't blame Ford for your lack of reading comprehension.

I don't think you quite understand how Sync works with cell phones. Sync is a stand alone device with a bluetooth phone interface. Ford has programmed the bluetooth interface to use certain standard bluetooth features. However, Ford has NO control over cell phone mfrs and how they code their bluetooth interface. The fact that some phones work says that Ford has coded their side correctly and most problems are on the cell phone side - which Ford has NO control over. The cell phone lists on syncmyride.com are merely the result of Ford's tests with specific phones. They can't possibly fully test every phone on the market nor can they force phone mfrs to use the bluetooth interface correctly or to provide the necessary features required to make the system work.

Why are you arguing with me?

I provided Ford documentation of why I was expecting more features.

Yes, If you dig though enough small print you find info that says Late Availability ...that's real clear now ain't it? They said that in January. I got my car 10 months LATER.

Find someone else to argue with akirby.

Edited by wilsons66604

Why are you arguing with me?

I provided Ford documentation of why I was expecting more features.

Yes, If you dig though enough small print you find info that says Late Availability ...that's real clear now ain't it? They said that in January. I got my car 10 months LATER.

I'm only arguing your allegation that Ford was purposefully deceptive and somehow misled you. They did not. Seems nobody wants to take any personal responsibility these days and that just irks me.

Why can't you just say you're disappointed that some features aren't available yet? That would be honest and nobody would argue with it.

I think it's unfair to call that buried - seems fairly clear to me anyhow.

More importantly as a developer, I'd prefer instead of handing us yet another cheesy web-browser that they invest that time in developing a very robust API. I'm dying to write an app that will turn on the rear camera and record the video for 5 mins after the proximity sensor detects a close-call or impact. Just the threat of that technology alone is going to get a lot of people to reconsider hit & runs.

Did you not bring up these issues when your Edge was delivered? Rule #1....always go through everything before you sign! Talk to your salesperson, sales manager. If you don't get the answers you're looking for, don't buy. It's really quite simple.

But then you wouldn't have anything to gripe about on the internet.

Did you not bring up these issues when your Edge was delivered? Rule #1....always go through everything before you sign! Talk to your salesperson, sales manager. If you don't get the answers you're looking for, don't buy. It's really quite simple.

See my initial post here. I was bringing up the fact that what was delivered in this vehicle is not what they were touting in January.

You guys are getting pretty defensive over a simple statement.

See my initial post here. I was bringing up the fact that what was delivered in this vehicle is not what they were touting in January.

Sorry, Wilson, gotta go with the consensus here. I would love to have all that cool stuff. Browser, bday reminders (why a calendar that is useless?), etc. But like others have said, not everything comes all at once. Geez, how many times have we heard MS and Apple tout the next coolest thing coming out, then nothing. You still waiting for a white iPhone, too? on Verizon?

Simple statement? Hmmm.........

Sorry, Wilson, gotta go with the consensus here. I would love to have all that cool stuff. Browser, bday reminders (why a calendar that is useless?), etc. But like others have said, not everything comes all at once. Geez, how many times have we heard MS and Apple tout the next coolest thing coming out, then nothing. You still waiting for a white iPhone, too? on Verizon?

Yeah! I need the white one that when I put the cover on it I will know it is white underneath and it has all those cool white phone features.

Honestly - I am so overwhelmed with trying to learn what is here that I am good with it all coming in stages. And unless that calendar syncs with the one on my phone - I don't care.

Ya. I know this is not a popular subject. Saying this kind of marketing is OK because Apple does it doesn't make it right.

I still love my new Edge and all that it can do. I would have liked it better if it did everything they said it was going to do.

I was not surprised to see some features missing or inactive. It is completely normal for software systems. I think new features will eventually come out and integrate devices more and more. Fords big declaration is to use everyone's technological devices to integrate them into the car. I believe what we have is a very good start, but not a finish line to say the least. The integration issues are mostly on the phones side right now. The phone developers must have the proper protocols in their devices before anything can connect to it. You will have many more new phones before you get another car. Your next phone will probably have FULL functionality as it is actually used now by other devices. Standard growing pains in tech.

Also, it is not like I live in my car. It would be nice to have a cool 55 inch 3D LCD screen in my dash too, but I have a house and a wall in my living room for that. It is just a car, it gets me from point A to B to C and back to A. then I pick up the remote for my tv and a keyboard for my computer. I will survive with my Sprint EVO for emergency surfing on the internet until a slower browser comes out for my ford. We all want what we dont have, but the day the browser is out for myTouch, I will run and install it, then play with it for 2 minutes, and then go back to my living room.

If I need my car to remind me of birthdays, then maybe I shouldnt be driving yet. It would be nice to pull up all my calendar events for meeting though. That would be helpful.

Address navigation integration would be nice too, havent really looked for it yet.

I enjoy driving my car, I somewhat like washing and polishing the car, but I definitely am not marrying my car (probably because now it can talk back to me and tells me to make u-turn all the time).