Remote Start / Climate Control

Zippy2011

Me again! Has anyone had any luck with your climate control including heated seats, front and rear defroster actually working with remote start? I have set my system to last settings because nothing has worked on Auto. The car was completely frosted over today and nothing. Last settings work for cabin temperature but not defroster or seats. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have mine set to auto and it works every time - but we are running in the 20's f around here or lower.

My climate control works and starts heating the car slowly, but my Seats/Front & Rear defrost don't do anything. We've had -3C (26F), but no go! Are these features working for you?

Did ford set the temps so they need to be that low before these features kick in? The Edge heats up quickly so its not too bad now, but when its -30C (-22F) this thing better work or I'm going to be yelling at someone every day until it does.

Does anyone know what the threshold is?

My climate control works and starts heating the car slowly, but my Seats/Front & Rear defrost don't do anything. We've had -3C (26F), but no go! Are these features working for you?

Did ford set the temps so they need to be that low before these features kick in? The Edge heats up quickly so its not too bad now, but when its -30C (-22F) this thing better work or I'm going to be yelling at someone every day until it does.

Does anyone know what the threshold is?

I haven't found any exact numbers for the settings. I ran it last night when leaving work for 10 - 15 minutes and the car & seats were warm. We haven't had an serious frost on the windows so haven't had to scrap. It is in the garage overnight so it seems to be working fine for me. I am not looking forward to the serious cold so hoping to not have to test yet.

In our truck at 22 below - it usually takes two starts for windows to truly be defrosted though and that is set to full blast (no auto temp stuff). I think it is safe to say that cold just sucks.

Wouldn't ya know, I set my MKX to defrost last night, and today the defroster was on when I remote started it. it wasn't that cold this morning either, somewhere around 34 degrees. So this time it worked.

Tomorrow will be the real test as we are forecasted to get somewhere around 6-10 inches of the fluffy stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at -24C with my MKX remote start climate controls all set to AUTO, I'm still not getting any of the functions to work (heated seats, heated steering wheel, front and rear defrost). At first I thought it might not have been cold enough but that can't possibly be the case anymore. Has anyone with this problem found a method of getting it to work or had their dealer fix it?

Thanks for the feedback. Was kind of hoping that someone who had these problems before found a way to get the Auto features working. Perhaps for them it was just a matter of waiting for sufficiently cold temperatures... Anyway I'll schedule an appointment with the dealer and maybe I'll have better luck than their standard "We don't know how to fix it but we're going to ask Ford".

• Like 1

If I recall from reading the manual, whatever settings (Including wheel and seats) you have on when you last shut off the ignition will be reinstated when you remote start the vehicle. For shits and giggles, try putting the seat heater on one side and the cooled seats on the passenger side and see if they both come on.

I've been waiting for cold temps to test this out. This morning it is 18F, All the climate controls are set to auto but the seats never heat up.

18F should be cold enough...right?

Another cold morning so another chance to test the heated seats.

The seats are actually heating! I was expecting the seat to feel hot to the touch (like when I'm sitting on it). When in reality, they are just warm and more importantly NOT COLD

Come on Winter!

What was the trick or did it just work this time?

My seats still don't turn on. I haven't tried turning them on prior to shutting the Edge off, but it is supposed to be automatic so we shouldn't have to do this. The seats don't have a "last setting" option in the menu, just "Auto".

What was the trick or did it just work this time?

My seats still don't turn on. I haven't tried turning them on prior to shutting the Edge off, but it is supposed to be automatic so we shouldn't have to do this. The seats don't have a "last setting" option in the menu, just "Auto".

I had to check this out for myself. And there's no difference if I do or don't have settings (heated seats, heated steering wheel, front and rear defrost) turned on prior to turning off the vehicle. Remote start simply doesn't activate any of them when set to Auto. I have also turned those controls to Off, shut off the vehicle and restored them to Auto but that didn't help. So I'm out of ideas and now its warming up considerably so I expect that might make it more difficult for the dealer to diagnose.

Anyone have their dealership look at this problem?

Temperature has finally gotten below 32 degrees F in the morning and still no heated seats, rear or front defroster turning on. Temp was 27 degrees this morning. When I leave the climate control set to last settings, I have heat but I have to remember to switch the air flow to defrost and floor or my window is still covered in frost. I asked the dealer about this and they said that it should work and that there is nothing to do right now but wait for the temp to get really cold.

Good thing the Edge warms up quickly!

I had to check this out for myself. And there's no difference if I do or don't have settings (heated seats, heated steering wheel, front and rear defrost) turned on prior to turning off the vehicle. Remote start simply doesn't activate any of them when set to Auto. I have also turned those controls to Off, shut off the vehicle and restored them to Auto but that didn't help. So I'm out of ideas and now its warming up considerably so I expect that might make it more difficult for the dealer to diagnose.

Anyone have their dealership look at this problem?

Temperature has finally gotten below 32 degrees F in the morning and still no heated seats, rear or front defroster turning on. Temp was 27 degrees this morning. When I leave the climate control set to last settings, I have heat but I have to remember to switch the air flow to defrost and floor or my window is still covered in frost. I asked the dealer about this and they said that it should work and that there is nothing to do right now but wait for the temp to get really cold.

Good thing the Edge warms up quickly!

Hello to everyone. I am a new owner of a gorgeous black 2011 Ford Edge Limited (loaded with almost everything) and I am totally in love with it! I have had it for about 2 weeks now and I am just thrilled with it and all of its features. My only questions so far involve the climate settings when using the remote start and so I was glad to see this thread on here. I am hoping that someone can clear this up for me. First of all, what is the advantage of using the auto settings? I haven’t tried using “auto” yet. I just figured that at night when I shut it off, I would set the car to whatever I wanted it to be on in the morning when I would use the remote start (just as I have done with previous cars). I am wondering why bother with “auto” at all? I'm confused over what the advantage is of doing it one way or the other. Anyway, my specific question is regarding defrosting the front windshield. What do I need to have selected so that this works when I use the remote start? It is getting cold here now and the last few mornings there has been some frost on the windshield. When I started the car with the remote, the front windshield did not defrost until I went out, had gotten in the car (car had now shut off), restarted it and hit “rear defroster”. At that point, the front windshield defrosted beautifully and quickly. Before shutting the car off the night before, I had pressed the “defroster” button but do I need to have one of the four options of air flow also selected? Do I need to press the “face/feet” button to get that front window to defrost? I also think it’s interesting that the second I hit “rear defroster” everything worked. Do I need to have the rear one on for the front one to defrost? Thanks in advance, everyone :)