2011 MKX Front Door Not Flush / Hard to Close

ARR

Just got a new 2011 Lincoln MKX and love it so far. Only thing is I notice it is hard to close the driver's side front door. More specifically, it takes more force for the door to completely close. Otherwise, it is ajar. I also noticed it sticks out rather than being flush with the rest of the vehicle side like the passenger door on the front side. Is this considered a defect? I don't want to find out by me getting wet on a rainy day because all the water comes through. Plus, I don't want to damage the door by forcefully closing the door each time. I am afraid to take to the dealership and they say it is alright. Everything is always alright as long as it is someone else right? Anyone else have this type of issue? I realize quality is never 100% so as long as I could feel confident it is alright.

Thanks!

I had this issue on my 2008. If I looked into the side view mirror, I could see that the window / door trim did not align properly. It appeared that my driver door was ajar when it was actually closed. after 3 trips to the dealer they could not align the trim and / or door any better. it was a lease so I lived with it.

Now on my 2011 Sport I see the same issue. Its not as bad, but its still there. I'll probably address this with the dealer when I return to find out about these mystery "Complimentary wheel locks for my Sport wheels" and to get the MyTouch software update.

Anyone else notice that the trim on their driver side door is not aligned perfectly?

Hmmmmmmmmm. I also have the same problem with a new 2011 MKX. Both front doors do not fit flush with the body of the vehicle. I do not, however, have any difficulty in closing the doors. They close just fine. The improper fit especially evident since I installed a set of door moldings from Sportwing. You can see that the edge of the door "sticks" out about 1/8". Could this be a factory problem? I cannot believe that a $50,000+ vehicle would leave the factory with improperly adjusted doors.

I had this issue on my 2008. If I looked into the side view mirror, I could see that the window / door trim did not align properly. It appeared that my driver door was ajar when it was actually closed. after 3 trips to the dealer they could not align the trim and / or door any better. it was a lease so I lived with it.

Now on my 2011 Sport I see the same issue. Its not as bad, but its still there. I'll probably address this with the dealer when I return to find out about these mystery "Complimentary wheel locks for my Sport wheels" and to get the MyTouch software update.

Anyone else notice that the trim on their driver side door is not aligned perfectly?

Same here. I have a 2011 Limited AWD. The passenger side doors are fine, but the driver's door is slightly out of alignment (sticks out slightly), and it's mostly noticeable when looking into the side view mirror from the driver's seat. Also, on both front doors, the beltline trim has a slight warp in it where it goes around the vertical post of the door. More annoying than anything else, and you'd only see it if you were looking along the line of the car, not from the side, but those are the kinds of details I tend to see.

I have also noticed that the hood appears slightly off as well--it appears about 1/8 inch lower at the sides. Not sure if that's by design or not.

I have also noticed that the hood appears slightly off as well--it appears about 1/8 inch lower at the sides. Not sure if that's by design or not.

My 2011 Sport has a dropped hood on the driver side. The passenger side is flush with the fender. The gaps are perfect as far as alignment from the fenders but the height is not right.

The hood on my '11 MKX is like this, about 1/8" lower on both sides, as are several other MKXs I've seen on the dealer lot. I'm assuming that is by design, although who really knows?

• 1 month later...

Just got a new 2011 Lincoln MKX and love it so far. Only thing is I notice it is hard to close the driver's side front door. More specifically, it takes more force for the door to completely close. Otherwise, it is ajar. I also noticed it sticks out rather than being flush with the rest of the vehicle side like the passenger door on the front side. Is this considered a defect? I don't want to find out by me getting wet on a rainy day because all the water comes through. Plus, I don't want to damage the door by forcefully closing the door each time. I am afraid to take to the dealership and they say it is alright. Everything is always alright as long as it is someone else right? Anyone else have this type of issue? I realize quality is never 100% so as long as I could feel confident it is alright.

Thanks!

I also just bought the MKX 2011 and have the exact same problem with the driver door.I plan to bring it to the dealer soon

• 3 weeks later...

2011 Ford Edge same problem. Door is not flush and when driving and you look in the rear view it looks like the door is adjar? From research on this board it seems to be a design flaw. Has anyone contact Ford Corp to notify them of this problem? My dealer said they would take it to a body shop and start twisting metal to get the doors to match up....not to keen on my brand new car's metal being twisted!! Does anyone have a DIY solution?

Same here. I have a 2011 Limited AWD. The passenger side doors are fine, but the driver's door is slightly out of alignment (sticks out slightly), and it's mostly noticeable when looking into the side view mirror from the driver's seat. Also, on both front doors, the beltline trim has a slight warp in it where it goes around the vertical post of the door. More annoying than anything else, and you'd only see it if you were looking along the line of the car, not from the side, but those are the kinds of details I tend to see.

EXACTLY! This is the same thing I am talking about!! Is there someone to get this fixed? It is so aggravating on a brand new car to have to deal with this imperfection and I am worried down the road that water will start to come in the car! Right now when I took it through the car wash the water is only getting in between the doors and not coming in but with time I am sure this will change. Have you been able to fix it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked up my 2011 Edge Limited 2 days ago and as soon as I left the dealership I noticed that the door was out of wack. It looked liked it was adjar, I pulled over and checked it and it was snug and closed tightly. I'm going to talk to the dealer about it when I go back about some other items.

I picked up my 2011 Edge Limited 2 days ago and as soon as I left the dealership I noticed that the door was out of wack. It looked liked it was adjar, I pulled over and checked it and it was snug and closed tightly. I'm going to talk to the dealer about it when I go back about some other items.

That's weird, but I just noticed this on my 2011 Limited as well. Kind of disappointed since I can see it from a decent distance. I'm on a lease and was planning on keeping the vehicle, but if they cannot address this as well as some other issues, I will be swapping it out it 23 months.

I noticed the issue with the hood not being flush a couple weeks ago, and was going to post something and find out if it was common. Even where the front lower fascia meets with the front fender, the panels are not even.