MyFord Touch is turning into a real piece of crap

rogersmj

hello

I have had my Edge about 2 months. For the first time I got a white screen after starting the car remotely. I drove a quarter mile, pulled over and turned off the car, opened the door and closed it. I then restarted it and everything was fine. Went another quarter mile or so and turned off the car to pickup my pizza :). When I started the car it just had a dark screen for a few seconds and then it went into a Sync maintenance cycle. Not exactly sure what it was doing other than me watching the progress bar go across the screen.

All has been fine so far so we shall see

I want to start saying I couldn't wait to order my 2011 Edge after coming out of a 2008 Edge lease. I know from past experience about purchasing something when it is first introduced, that you have to expect a few little glitches in the system when you first get it, especially in the early releases. I had placed an order for a 2011 to be delivered when my 2008 lease was to expire, no problem. When my lease was getting close to the end on the 2008 edge I thought I would pay my dealer a visit to see how things were going. This is when i was informed that there was a set back in delivering the 2011 edge. I was first told it would 2 weeks late then 4 then 6 finally 7 weeks later I got a call from my sales person that my long awaited car had arrived, this was on Sept.14.

Things were fine, I thought that my much anticipated and technologically advanced car of the future was the best until around Oct. 18 when my car was trying to do a service check after I just put the car in drive from reverse. Took it to the dealer, they said I must be mistaken that that was not supposed to happen. You know how that goes they could not get it to duplicate the problem. I said to them of course you can't it is only supposed to do updates when the car is not in gear, and as far as I was told not update everytime the car was started.

On Nov. 16 I got into my car and started it up and put in reverse and then drive and the performing system requirements came on and never went off. I got into the car at lunch time still doing it, the progress bar would go so far and then reboot again and again. When I was done for the day I started up the car again and the same thing happened. this time I was going to the dealership hoping the screen would not correct itself by the time I got there. Fortunately it was still acting up, got the service manager to come out and take a look at it and said I need to be more patient and let it run its course, then I explained to him how it has been happening all day. The service department wrote me up right away and said it woul only be about 20 minutes, they were given instructions from Ford to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes to let the system reeboot back to the default settings and that everything would be ok. This did not work the screen went permantley blank, the service tech said he talked directly to microsoft and they said they know they have a problem and that a permenant solution was about 60 to 90 days away.

They set me up with a rental which was a Chevy Surburban which was ok. I went back to the rental place to see what else they had to offer a few days later after finding it hard to find a parking spot to accomadate the Surburban. I looked around and saw a brand new Edge, I asked if it was available and it was. Swaped out cars and everything was fine untill I was almost home when the center screen started to blink on and off. This made me think that it was not related to just the limited model, that Ford has a bigger issue at hand. My car has been in the shop since Nov. 16 and as of today they said it might be ready next week some time. They are waiting for the main screen to be shipped from Ford. Any suggestions on what to do?

I want to start saying I couldn't wait to order my 2011 Edge after coming out of a 2008 Edge lease. I know from past experience about purchasing something when it is first introduced, that you have to expect a few little glitches in the system when you first get it, especially in the early releases. I had placed an order for a 2011 to be delivered when my 2008 lease was to expire, no problem. When my lease was getting close to the end on the 2008 edge I thought I would pay my dealer a visit to see how things were going. This is when i was informed that there was a set back in delivering the 2011 edge. I was first told it would 2 weeks late then 4 then 6 finally 7 weeks later I got a call from my sales person that my long awaited car had arrived, this was on Sept.14.

Things were fine, I thought that my much anticipated and technologically advanced car of the future was the best until around Oct. 18 when my car was trying to do a service check after I just put the car in drive from reverse. Took it to the dealer, they said I must be mistaken that that was not supposed to happen. You know how that goes they could not get it to duplicate the problem. I said to them of course you can't it is only supposed to do updates when the car is not in gear, and as far as I was told not update everytime the car was started.

On Nov. 16 I got into my car and started it up and put in reverse and then drive and the performing system requirements came on and never went off. I got into the car at lunch time still doing it, the progress bar would go so far and then reboot again and again. When I was done for the day I started up the car again and the same thing happened. this time I was going to the dealership hoping the screen would not correct itself by the time I got there. Fortunately it was still acting up, got the service manager to come out and take a look at it and said I need to be more patient and let it run its course, then I explained to him how it has been happening all day. The service department wrote me up right away and said it woul only be about 20 minutes, they were given instructions from Ford to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes to let the system reeboot back to the default settings and that everything would be ok. This did not work the screen went permantley blank, the service tech said he talked directly to microsoft and they said they know they have a problem and that a permenant solution was about 60 to 90 days away.

They set me up with a rental which was a Chevy Surburban which was ok. I went back to the rental place to see what else they had to offer a few days later after finding it hard to find a parking spot to accomadate the Surburban. I looked around and saw a brand new Edge, I asked if it was available and it was. Swaped out cars and everything was fine untill I was almost home when the center screen started to blink on and off. This made me think that it was not related to just the limited model, that Ford has a bigger issue at hand. My car has been in the shop since Nov. 16 and as of today they said it might be ready next week some time. They are waiting for the main screen to be shipped from Ford. Any suggestions on what to do?

Onedge I don't have any solutions for you other than when my car did the Sys Maintenance thing it was only one time and everything afterward worked as it should. You should be thankful your dealer gave you a rental. Is it that you couldn't control the heat/AC settings or were they just being generous

Keep us posted and I'm sure we are all hoping for a permanent fix to these problems

The reboot has not stopped in my Edge since I got it on Thursday. I had to do an 8 hour road trip with it yesterday and it constantly rebooted itself with the "performing scheduled system maintenance" prompt. It was especially annoying when I needed to use the Navigation for directions to a specific place. Pulling fuse #29 hasn't done anything to improve the situation either. :(

I had my first "significant" problem with my MyFord Touch/Sync yesterday. The USB and BT Audio were completely unresponsive. The only thing that fixed it was pulling fuse 29. Hopefully, this isn't going to be a continual problem. As much as I love the comfortable ride and high end interior appearance, the less than good mileage and Sync issues are leaving a bad taste.

This is a major defect. Before I order, I think we need to hear from those who have had the updated software installed. The "fix" so to speak had better be spot on. My 08 Ltd AWD has never been in for even one service repair. Only oil changes for the past 40K miles. Now its end of lease time and I don't want a vehicle that has to be repaired for what appears to be a faulty design. The my touch seems like a good idea on paper but they either have to make it work or nix it.

I had my first "significant" problem with my MyFord Touch/Sync yesterday. The USB and BT Audio were completely unresponsive. The only thing that fixed it was pulling fuse 29. Hopefully, this isn't going to be a continual problem. As much as I love the comfortable ride and high end interior appearance, the less than good mileage and Sync issues are leaving a bad taste.

Are you guys pulling the fuse 29 down by the driver's left leg or the one in the engine bay next to the battery? Looks like there are two.

The reboot has not stopped in my Edge since I got it on Thursday. I had to do an 8 hour road trip with it yesterday and it constantly rebooted itself with the "performing scheduled system maintenance" prompt. It was especially annoying when I needed to use the Navigation for directions to a specific place. Pulling fuse #29 hasn't done anything to improve the situation either. :(

Canuck, although I have not had the same problem you are having, I'm having other issues with the screen not turning on at all. I did notice that a simple fuse pull, sitting out for 5 min does not work. Try pulling the fuse and let it sit for 30-60 min and see what happens. If I pull the fuse for 30+min it starts to work everytime.

I just don't get it, I tooK delivery on Nov 16 and have had issues since day 1. I feel as if the recently delivered edges are experiencing more "critical" issues than others who have taken delivery earlier. I mean it's been 2 weeks and I may have only gotten a good 4-5 uses with the MFT. 90% of my driving is without the MFT and NO AUDIO! I've been using iHeart Radio for my music on my iPhone lol. I almost want a loaner car from my dealer until Ford engineering fixes this issue.

Are you guys pulling the fuse 29 down by the driver's left leg or the one in the engine bay next to the battery? Looks like there are two.

Drivers side inside quarter panel area and it's a PIA to get to because the fuse cover is behind the hood release cable and you gotta wiggle the cover around it to remove the cover.

Behind it most likely, or behind and down. There isn't much room too far towards the engine bay but the chipset is the same chipset in a notebook, so you can imagine how small that is.

Does anybody know where the MFT Computer is located? Is it attached to the screen or located elsewhere in the car?

Canuck, although I have not had the same problem you are having, I'm having other issues with the screen not turning on at all. I did notice that a simple fuse pull, sitting out for 5 min does not work. Try pulling the fuse and let it sit for 30-60 min and see what happens. If I pull the fuse for 30+min it starts to work everytime.

I just don't get it, I tooK delivery on Nov 16 and have had issues since day 1. I feel as if the recently delivered edges are experiencing more "critical" issues than others who have taken delivery earlier. I mean it's been 2 weeks and I may have only gotten a good 4-5 uses with the MFT. 90% of my driving is without the MFT and NO AUDIO! I've been using iHeart Radio for my music on my iPhone lol. I almost want a loaner car from my dealer until Ford engineering fixes this issue.

Its interesting that my issues keep getting worse. Re-boots started out once or twice per week. Now it happens at every start and in many cases will re-boot multiple times in a row. If it used-ta-could, there should be a way to make it work better again. So far the fuse 29 pull or master reset have not improved the issue. Maybe I'll try removing the fuse overnight.

Its interesting that my issues keep getting worse. Re-boots started out once or twice per week. Now it happens at every start and in many cases will re-boot multiple times in a row. If it used-ta-could, there should be a way to make it work better again. So far the fuse 29 pull or master reset have not improved the issue. Maybe I'll try removing the fuse overnight.

I can't tell if mine is getting worse exactly but it sure is getting stranger. Yesterday I lost the ability to make any phone calls and that still hasn't come back to life (phone connects fine and phonebook is correct). I haven't felt like pulling fuse #29 again but I guess I better because today I lost the screen entirely (blank screen but with ambient lighting showing) while the right side mini-LCD continued to work fine. The screen came back on after vehicle restart but it was the first time that happened. I haven't had any scheduled maintenance reboots for nearly a month though. This is one interesting mess.

So far My Lincon MKX has had strange reboots for no apparent reason and sometimes says it is perfoming scheduled system maintenance at different hours. Odd for a schedule. Then the other day the Nav failed and said SD card fault. I reset the card..still a fault. Started the car again ..still same message. Ford Dealer said there are known faults and the engineers are working on solutions.

So 2 days later Im driving and I get the odd reboot again. Now the Nav works again. Pleeeeeaaaaassssssseeeee give me a reboot button so like every other computer I can reboot it every few days and clear the crap out of it.

John

I've had my MKX a month now, and had one reboot (I think it was a reboot), and 2 blank/white screens. I have been able to get the screen back by shifting into reverse so the camera comes on, and then going back into drive. It will sometimes connect and then drop my phone when I first start it, but if I pull the phone out of my pants pocket and either put it my jacket pocket or put it in the console it'll reconnect. I guess i have not been having a lot of the problems others here have been doing, but then again i don't do any BT music either.

Edited by johnd01