2011 Ford Edge - Replace the antenna?

mindwarp

• 4 weeks later...

I installed and removed the Mini Sport Antenna, as shown above, this weekend. Included with the antenna are two male thread adaptors. The pre-installed adaptor has a thread pattern which is too wide, so the secondary adaptor, which seems to match the Edge's female hole, is used instead. I noticed the thread was longer than, and thus stuck out past, the end of the Mini antenna's cover. The Edge antenna's threads are equidistant to the end of its antenna cover. I took a chance and installed the antenna anyway since I wasn't sure if there was additional threading length in the base unit. Upon installation, I noticed the Mini antenna's cover did not fit flush with the antenna base on the roof. Additional turning did not make any difference. I wasn't happy with the fit of the Mini's antenna due to the gap. After removing the Mini's antenna the adaptor remained in the base unit. Removal required the use of a pair of needle nose pliers.

I once again have the Edge antenna installed. Cutting the threads might allow better fitment, but I'm not crazy about using an adaptor.

I installed and removed the Mini Sport Antenna, as shown above, this weekend. Included with the antenna are two male thread adaptors. The pre-installed adaptor has a thread pattern which is too wide, so the secondary adaptor, which seems to match the Edge's female hole, is used instead. I noticed the thread was longer than, and thus stuck out past, the end of the Mini antenna's cover. The Edge antenna's threads are equidistant to the end of its antenna cover. I took a chance and installed the antenna anyway since I wasn't sure if there was additional threading length in the base unit. Upon installation, I noticed the Mini antenna's cover did not fit flush with the antenna base on the roof. Additional turning did not make any difference. I wasn't happy with the fit of the Mini's antenna due to the gap. After removing the Mini's antenna the adaptor remained in the base unit. Removal required the use of a pair of needle nose pliers.

I once again have the Edge antenna installed. Cutting the threads might allow better fitment, but I'm not crazy about using an adaptor.

I didn't notice an issue with the threaded adapter with mine but to be honest, I can't remember if it stuck out past the end of the new antenna or not. It did end up screwing down far enough that I didn't have a gap between the antenna and the base.

If you're concerned about using an adapter, a drop or two of Loctite will make sure that it doesn't come off inadvertently.

I didn't notice an issue with the threaded adapter with mine but to be honest, I can't remember if it stuck out past the end of the new antenna or not. It did end up screwing down far enough that I didn't have a gap between the antenna and the base.

If you're concerned about using an adapter, a drop or two of Loctite will make sure that it doesn't come off inadvertently.

The Edge antenna wasn't heavily torqued on the base, so I didn't apply excessive force when installing the Mini antenna. It is possible that a more forceful application would have made the antenna flush.

Here''s what I did:

1. Remove rubber washer from base of Mini antenna.

2. Apply blue Loctite to adapter stud.

3. Screw adapter stud into antenna with small flat-head screwdriver and let Loctite dry.

4. Leave rubber washer out and install antenna.

The rubber washer is only there to provide tension on the factory Mini Mount. If you do what I did, here's the result:

DSC_5480.jpg

Please forgive the photo quality, as it's cold, dark, and rainy here and I did the best that I could do with the on-camera flash.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the mini for the mini cooper that Dingo showed and it works great. I dont know about signal strength but my sirus, telephone, and plain fm work as good as the stock and it doesnt look like a cheap piece of junk mounted on the top of my Sport. Cost was between 30 and 40 bucks but worth it.

Rainmantoo

Mine's on order and on its way to me based on y'alls recommendations.

Many Thks.

Y'all are making this Edge "ownership" experience more and more expensive ......... and we ain't even gotten into replacing speakers yet ..... LOL ! :censored:

Y'all play nicely today, y'hear ? !!

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I ordered mine from a seller on ebay. Who is obviously a Mini-Cooper authorized dealer.

The seller's price was $2+ less than Amazon. His price is $ 36.00 Delivered.

Ordered FRIDAY for the Edge. Came in the USPS mail today ! (Monday) - To middle Georgia.

Arrived in a Factory Fresh Mini-Cooper box.

Took 3 mins to replace.

You NEED the little threaded insert that is enclosed in the packaging.

AND ....... You need a step ladder …… But no other tools.

I put the Factory antenna in the glovebox – Just in Case.

Works superbly.

Hope this helps someone else.

To locate the CORRECT seller on ebay, do a search for: "MINI Cooper Sport Shorty Short Stubby Antenna Fits All"

Sellers name on eBAY is: prestigeminiofmahwah

Best Wishes to all, Mikey Lulejian - Lake OConee, GA

Hello Does the antenna work as well as the ugly stock one??? Thanks

Unless I am wrong, I believe already three (3) of us have already answered this. It works superbly. And ours may be the best test since we are in Never-never Land and the reception from Atlanta is EXACTLY the same (100 miles away).

And for gosh sakes, it ain't like it'll break anyone ..... It only costs $36.00. If anyone is concerned about reception, stick with wut ya got.[

Best Wishes to all, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Edited by mikey100

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered mine from a seller on ebay. Who is obviously a Mini-Cooper authorized dealer.

Ordered FRIDAY for the Edge. Came in the USPS mail today ! (Monday) - To middle Georgia.

Took 3 mins to replace.

Works superbly.

To locate the CORRECT seller on ebay, do a search for: "MINI Cooper Sport Shorty Short Stubby Antenna Fits All"

I purchased this antenna it's a great little antenna. I think I actually have better reception with this little one then my original. Here are some pics with it.

post-19979-0-06326400-1333486909_thumb.jpg

post-19979-0-35721700-1333486923_thumb.jpg

post-19979-0-42317400-1333486940_thumb.jpg

post-19979-0-67662500-1333486951_thumb.jpg

Took 3 mins to replace.

Works superbly.

I purchased this antenna and it's a great looking antenna. I also believe that the reception is actually better then the factory no problems with it. Here are some pics

post-19979-0-23533900-1333561043_thumb.jpg

post-19979-0-10386300-1333561051_thumb.jpg

post-19979-0-84675600-1333561079_thumb.jpg

post-19979-0-62875700-1333561113_thumb.jpg

Edited by exodus

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dingo for the pics and the Mini part number. Changed the adapter and it fits flush for me. I picked up mine at the local BMW/Mini dealer for $38 taxes in (Canada).

Also no reception issues just as good as OEM or better.

Another happy modder.

Spiff

post-18666-0-02046600-1336950157_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

• 9 months later...

My Mini antenna broke.

20130130_150918.jpg

I remove it every time I go to the car wash, and it's never been mistreated. The local Mini dealer told me it's not uncommon.

I found a better replacement. It's solid metal, and works as well as the Mini one. It also mates to the base better.

20130130_150855.jpg

Here's a link. By the way, the 22nd pic is mine.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/The-Stubby-Antenna.html

• 1 month later...