2011 Ford Edge - Replace the antenna?

mindwarp

Most of the posts I see about this are older. Likewise some of the sites I find say they're only compatible until 2009 Edge.

I ordered my Edge today from the Factory. With the holiday coming up it's probably 8-10 weeks away.

Anyway, I love the look of the Edge but I'm not a fan of the antenna.

Are there any good stubby replacements for the 2011 Edge? Is the loss of signal noticeable?

Thanks

• 10 months later...

Found this thread and wondering the same. Would like a smaller antenna without reception losses. Can anyone give feedback on options out there?

Hi wlepse. :D Although no one replied to the original old post, I will give it a shot.

Generally speaking, loss of reception will depend on how strong the FM signals are for the stations you tune to in any particular area. If you are tuning to a station with a strong signal, you may not notice any signal degradation at all. With mid-strength stations you may/will notice signal degradation. Weaker station signals will definitely suffer signal degradation.

Then of course, there is the added variable of how high quality the antenna you purchase is, since there are good quality antennas and some really cheap garbage out there.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I live in a fringe area outside NYC, once I go over the mountains I lose NY stations so we do need a good antenna. But with that said I have no idea how good the stock one is...only that it is pretty big. Was hoping someone had some insingth into how strong it was or at least a comparison to some aftermarket models. Some of the sites I saw only compare the antennas to each other. Kind of like a good better best thing which doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. But thanks for th input, I guess we'll site tight for now.

I live in a fringe area outside NYC, once I go over the mountains I lose NY stations so we do need a good antenna. But with that said I have no idea how good the stock one is...only that it is pretty big. Was hoping someone had some insingth into how strong it was or at least a comparison to some aftermarket models. Some of the sites I saw only compare the antennas to each other. Kind of like a good better best thing which doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. But thanks for th input, I guess we'll site tight for now.

We’ve been fighting this battle for 3 yrs.

The radio/antenna in our 08 (looks like ALL Edge/MKX’s) is pitiful!

We spend our summers in a small town in southern Colorado, not much radio in southern CO.

This year we bought a Mini Cooper, WHAT A difference!!!

Here are our observations for the last few yrs comparing the radios we’ve used, rated on a 1 to 10 scale.

04 BMW X3…. (5)

05 Ford F250… (5)

08 Lincoln MKX… (2) :banghead:

05 Mini Cooper (new to us) … (9)

I took the antenna off of the mini and put it on the MKX… (4) of course it’s a foot and a half long but IT DOES work better.

Still looking for an aftermarket that is better than stock.

The battle continues.

ab

Mine is for a Honda. Here's original and the Honda one...

20111021_193647.jpg

I'm not in love with it, but it's better than stock. I'm still trying to decide what antenna I like, but trust me on this one... Get an OEM one from some other company instead of an ebay one. The ebay ones are just a metal stick. They're not the right length or tuned at all.

Okay, I bought one for an Acura RDX today. It's the best looking that I've found so far.

20111022_170227.jpg

Ablb, the mini one fits? That opens up a new possibility.

"Ablb, the mini one fits?"

Not really.

The thread pitch is the same but the plastic cover doesn't go all the way to the base.

I was just making a test to see if our poor reception was caused by "our" antenna.

The reception was better with the Mini antenna on the MKX but still not nearly as good as on the Mini.

ab

• 2 months later...

go to Ebay and search stubby antennas, thats where I got mine, lots of choices, colors etc...

Yeah, but those don't have half the reception. They're usually a short machined piece of metal, instead of a calculated half-wave or quarter-wave coil, like the OEM antennas. That's why I spent months going from dealership to dealership, test-fitting antennas from different car companies.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've done zero official testing and it seems to be comparable to the OEM antenna through daily use.

http://www.amazon.com/MINI-Cooper-Genuine-Factory-65202179727/dp/B004X6K6BU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326560591&sr=8-1

Had this antenna for a week now I think it works even better then the factory one, reception is remarkably great.i highly recommend this, thanks dingo!!!