Question about Aftermarket Audio in the 2011 Edge

I'm taking delivery on a 2011 SEL in February and have a few questions for those of you who might have installed some aftermarket audio in your '11 Edges.

What is the depth of the rear doors in the factory speaker location? I'm looking to replace the rears with 8" midbass drivers. MDF baffles etc.

What is the total area of the spare tire well? WidthxLengthxHeight. I'm hoping to move the spare to the left rear corner (rather than centered) to free up enough space for a pair of downfiring 12"s.

From what I've seen in a few pics there should be more than enough room in the factory subwoofer location for amps and processors.

The car is coming with MFT so I'll be leaving it in place and using a JL Audio CL441 or comparable unit between the factory head unit and my amps/processors. Have any of you used this or other similar models and what do you like or dislike about them?

What is the amp rating on the alternator on the SEL?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BlackenedEdge

I am trying to do something similar with my non-Sony MFT. I will be installing the component speakers next week, a JBL MS-8, and some left over Alpine amps. I was also trying to determine how to fit a sub under the floor, door depth, etc. I think two shallow 8" will fit in place of the plastic cargo management bins, but I don't have any experience working with fiberglass. I have been searching for any other '11 Edge's with aftermarket audio, and have come up empty.

I am trying to do something similar with my non-Sony MFT. I will be installing the component speakers next week, a JBL MS-8, and some left over Alpine amps. I was also trying to determine how to fit a sub under the floor, door depth, etc. I think two shallow 8" will fit in place of the plastic cargo management bins, but I don't have any experience working with fiberglass. I have been searching for any other '11 Edge's with aftermarket audio, and have come up empty.

Mine will be non-Sony MFT as well. Keep in mind that you will need a JL Audio CL441 or comparable unit to restore the bass that is lost when you turn up the volume on the factory head unit.

There should be plenty of depth for a pair of 8s in the spare tire well without going the fiberglass route. You should be able to make an mdf box with plenty of airspace to fit back there.

There's definitely room for a boxed single 12" in the factory sub location and I may go that route if I cant get a pair of them in the spare tire well.

There's room under the rear seats for amps just keep in mind that the seats slide forward a bit when lowered.

Be sure to take and post pics when of whatever you install, we wanna see 'em!

A $149 aftermarket head unit and a pair of $69 front speakers and you'll think otherwise lol but glad you like it!

Since you are not getting the SONY System. the sound will be average at best. The SONY 12 Speaker system really does sound crisp and clear. Although, the bass does not hit all that hard compared to my JL Audio 12W7in my last car, I am quite please with the quality in my Limited. (ALTHOUGH I havent been able to listen to it much because the damn MFT dont turn on)

Since you are not getting the SONY System. the sound will be average at best. The SONY 12 Speaker system really does sound crisp and clear. Although, the bass does not hit all that hard compared to my JL Audio 12W7in my last car, I am quite please with the quality in my Limited. (ALTHOUGH I havent been able to listen to it much because the damn MFT dont turn on)

Even the Sony system sounds like a Walmart special compared to even the cheapest of aftermarket head units and speakers.

Got to disagree with you there, the cheapest aftermarket stuff isnt so spiffy sounding. Spend a little money and then you could start saying something along those lines but your statement is a wee bit much. I agree with the statement that the stock system has a somewhat weak bass, one notey and lacks authority when its time to step it up on demanding material.

Got to disagree with you there, the cheapest aftermarket stuff isnt so spiffy sounding. Spend a little money and then you could start saying something along those lines but your statement is a wee bit much. I agree with the statement that the stock system has a somewhat weak bass, one notey and lacks authority when its time to step it up on demanding material.

OK, I exaggerated a bit. The cheapest of aftermarket stuff might not cut it, but for under $300 you can get an aftermarket headunit and front speakers that will put the Sony setup to shame.

I've had aftermarket equipment in most of the vehicles I've owned. I can undoubtedly say The 12 Speaker Sony Surround Sound in my Sport Kicks F :censored: ing Ass! I'm SO happy with the sound that I just cant wait to have all the uninterrupted functionality of MFT running USB's, SIRIUS satellite radio, streaming Pandora or other audio from my Droid Incredible. Ford did a great job partnering with Sony. The execution in design and whatever R&D they did to stage the sound really shows. Kudos Ford! From the looks of Wilson's photo, I wouldn't want to have to start messing with this vehicle due to lackluster sound from the stereo.:rockon:

Edited by Edgieguy

I've had aftermarket equipment in most of the vehicles I've owned. I can undoubtedly say The 12 Speaker Sony Surround Sound in my Sport Kicks F :censored: ing Ass! I'm SO happy with the sound that I just cant wait to have all the uninterrupted functionality of MFT running USB's, SIRIUS satellite radio, streaming Pandora or other audio from my Droid Incredible. Ford did a great job partnering with Sony. The execution in design and whatever R&D they did to stage the sound really shows. Kudos Ford! From the looks of Wilson's photo, I wouldn't want to have to start messing with this vehicle due to lackluster sound from the stereo.:rockon:

I've heard the Sony system and I agree it's rather nice for factory. I'm also looking forward integrating my EVO, thumb drives, portable hard drives, Sirius, etc with my SEL MFT/headunit. I've done hundreds of installs but this will be the first time I've opted to keep the factory headunit in one of my personal cars.

That picture looks hella scary eh'

• 4 weeks later...

I've done hundreds of installs but this will be the first time I've opted to keep the factory headunit in one of my personal cars.

That picture looks hella scary eh'

My sentiments exactly!! It really is an impressive system, much better than the Dynaudio ones in the premium VW setups. My fiancee is soooo happy that I really like this system and I won't be spending hours tearing apart the dash. While I haven't done hundreds of installs, I've reworked every single one of my previous vehicles and quite a few of my friends'. Really everything that's lacking in the system could be fixed with an outboard processor and just upgrading the speakers. I'm still waiting for the trusty old Crutchfield research to be done, but does anyone know the speaker specs in all the locations? I'm assuming the standard Ford 6"x8" in the doors?

Oh yeah, since I'm keeping the MFT and Sony, if anyone wants to buy the AVIC Z-110BT I had in my VW pm me.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have to say I'm pretty happy with the Sony system, I consider myself an audiophile, and have pretty good systems all over my house, I have to say that the sub does not kick lime my last home sub : VFT-15H which I wish I could have on the car, but weight more than a person.... :happy feet:

I tested the system with the CD that comes with my sub, and have a very good kick too, testing in frequency the very low frequencies under 30Hz are not as good as my home system, but they work. One of the tracks of the CD have a pipe organ which plays at 16HZ and I can hear that at home, actually feel it,and not in the car, but that would be probably too much to ask, what is good that the car does not resonate with the low frequencies, they did a very good job avoiding those nasty vibration sounds...

Can anyone tell me the specifications on the stock speakers on the EDGE SEL? I've been searching everywhere but its only for the Sony stock speakers. I don't have the black middle console with sony on it so I don't believe my system is a sony. Manual is no help either.

They sound great to me and I don't expect to swap for aftermarket audio.