Ford extended warranty

ziggy86

Yes it is called the Extended Service Plan. We have it on ours. Only thing we did not add to it was the lojack stuff. You can find it on the ford site. It is worth it.

I was able to buy the Honda plan online from dealers and save a large amount of $$$$. Can you do that with Ford as well?

Yes. The one we have gives us 3 oil changes a year for free and other basic maintenance items. The oil change is every 5000 miles which is 15000 miles a year. It covers the Edge up to 100000 miles. There are different levels of the ESP as well.

If you don't mind me asking which plan did you get and how much was it?

Ford PremiumCare ESP is their most comprehensive plan. It is different from scheduled maintenance plans but covers most if not all non wear items.

Can you buy this cheaper via the internet or by phone. I know if I buy this car they will try and sell me the plan at a much higher price.

Can you buy this cheaper via the internet or by phone. I know if I buy this car they will try and sell me the plan at a much higher price.

Some have reported better prices via the internet but it's like buying anything else - your mileage may vary. It costs the dealers the same so it depends on how much profit your dealer is trying to make versus the other guys. You just have to shop around. Do your shopping ahead of time so you know what the cost is and you can compare that to what your dealer is asking or you can ask them to match it.

You can buy the ESP plan for the same price within the first year and you can also buy it up until the 3 yr/36K warranty runs out for $100 more. So you don't have to buy right away.

Some have reported better prices via the internet but it's like buying anything else - your mileage may vary. It costs the dealers the same so it depends on how much profit your dealer is trying to make versus the other guys. You just have to shop around. Do your shopping ahead of time so you know what the cost is and you can compare that to what your dealer is asking or you can ask them to match it.

You can buy the ESP plan for the same price within the first year and you can also buy it up until the 3 yr/36K warranty runs out for $100 more. So you don't have to buy right away.

Akirby,

Do you have it? If so how many years and deductible did you get?

Akirby,

Do you have it? If so how many years and deductible did you get?

No - I don't buy them. I self-insure. It's cheaper over the long run. Most of my cars have been kept 2 years beyond the factory warranty and I have yet to pay for a single repair out of warranty, so by not buying the extended warranty I've probably saved over $7K. Even if I have to buy a new transmission or engine I'm still WAY ahead.

My recommendation is if you can afford to pay for a large repair then it's cheaper to self-insure (again, over the long run. You may lose on one or even a few vehicles but in the long run the odds are in your favor. If they weren't then nobody would be selling extended warranties). If you can't then buy the ESP with the largest deductible you can afford and finance the plan with the vehicle so that you're only paying a few bucks per month.

Most run between $1100 and $1900 depending on length of coverage and deductible. Remember you already get a 5 yr 60K mile powertrain warranty from the factory.

No - I don't buy them. I self-insure. It's cheaper over the long run. Most of my cars have been kept 2 years beyond the factory warranty and I have yet to pay for a single repair out of warranty, so by not buying the extended warranty I've probably saved over $7K. Even if I have to buy a new transmission or engine I'm still WAY ahead.

My recommendation is if you can afford to pay for a large repair then it's cheaper to self-insure (again, over the long run. You may lose on one or even a few vehicles but in the long run the odds are in your favor. If they weren't then nobody would be selling extended warranties). If you can't then buy the ESP with the largest deductible you can afford and finance the plan with the vehicle so that you're only paying a few bucks per month.

Most run between $1100 and $1900 depending on length of coverage and deductible. Remember you already get a 5 yr 60K mile powertrain warranty from the factory.

Might sound strange but I am more worried about the My Touch breaking than I am the transmission :wacko:

My main concern is MFT and Sync, too. Following those it's the other big stuff like transmission, alternator, etc. I sold an 05 Escape for my Edge, didn't get the ESP on the Escape and had no problems at all in 119k miles.

I shopped the ESP on the Edge and will get it for $970 with $200 deductible, as opposed to $1170 with $100 deductible. 970 is cheaper up to and including the 2nd claim including the 100/200.

My main concern is MFT and Sync, too. Following those it's the other big stuff like transmission, alternator, etc. I sold an 05 Escape for my Edge, didn't get the ESP on the Escape and had no problems at all in 119k miles.

I shopped the ESP on the Edge and will get it for $970 with $200 deductible, as opposed to $1170 with $100 deductible. 970 is cheaper up to and including the 2nd claim including the 100/200.

Were you able to haggle with them on the price at all for the ESP?

Might sound strange but I am more worried about the My Touch breaking than I am the transmission :wacko:

Not strange at all, but consider this.

Most electronics either fail right off the bat due to a manufacturing defect or they last for years or until they get a power surge which shouldn't happen on a fused circuit in the vehicle.

Also - in the case of the powertrain warranty let's say the ESP is 7 yrs. 100K miles. Since the factory warranty is 5 yrs 60K miles you're really only getting additional coverage for 2 yrs or 40K miles. Anything that happens before 5/60 is covered by the factory warranty and anything that happens after 7/100 isn't covered at all.

People tend to see 7 yrs/100K miles and think that's a great deal when in reality the coverage of the ESP is far, far less because of the factory warranty. Just something to keep in mind.

Not strange at all, but consider this.

Most electronics either fail right off the bat due to a manufacturing defect or they last for years or until they get a power surge which shouldn't happen on a fused circuit in the vehicle.

Also - in the case of the powertrain warranty let's say the ESP is 7 yrs. 100K miles. Since the factory warranty is 5 yrs 60K miles you're really only getting additional coverage for 2 yrs or 40K miles. Anything that happens before 5/60 is covered by the factory warranty and anything that happens after 7/100 isn't covered at all.

People tend to see 7 yrs/100K miles and think that's a great deal when in reality the coverage of the ESP is far, far less because of the factory warranty. Just something to keep in mind.

Thank you for the explanation. I found that out when I bought the Honda plan. They should not run concurrent in my view or they should just state the extra years covered under the plan to avoid confusion.

I have owned Hondas in the past and you could purchase a warranty directly from Honda called Honda Care. Does FOrd offer something like this? I would like to get it if I buy the Edge simply to cover the touch screen and all the electronics in the car.

Thanks

Hi ziggy. :D In addition to the helpful advice you have already received above, see this existing thread concerning the ESP and Ford/Lincoln Dealers who sell over the Internet: LINK: ESP pricing

My experiences Internet shopping (and where I found the best pricing) begin with Post #3.

Hope this information is helpful.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

How do you "know it"?

I purchased a car in 02 and bought the extended warrenty,($1200) 3 months prior to the warrenty expiring the traction control went out $1500 for the repair a month later a one of its 8 computers died, $2200 for the fix. My experience with cars that have electronics if you keep them longer than the original warrenty.

Jack

I purchased a car in 02 and bought the extended warrenty,($1200) 3 months prior to the warrenty expiring the traction control went out $1500 for the repair a month later a one of its 8 computers died, $2200 for the fix. My experience with cars that have electronics if you keep them longer than the original warrenty.

Jack

That's a mighty small sample size. I've kept my last 4 vehicles at least 2 years past the factory warranty. Throw in my wife's expedition and that makes 5 vehicles that were kept 5 years or 2 years past the warranty. We never had a repair on any of them. If I had purchased extended warranties on all of them I'd now be out $7500.

If extended warranties always paid out more than they cost then the companies selling them would go out of business. It's a gamble and you can always win on one or two vehicles but in the long run you won't come out ahead. There are other reasons to get them but I don't think it's a given that you'll cover the $700 cost.

Regarding extended warranty, my biggest concern was the electronic part of the Edge. However, I have drawn the conclusion that if you don't have trouble in 3 years with MFT, which IMHO is the critical time, then chances are good for an extra couple years. I only base this on being a bit of an electronic geek...I love my toys!

Regarding extended warranty, my biggest concern was the electronic part of the Edge. However, I have drawn the conclusion that if you don't have trouble in 3 years with MFT, which IMHO is the critical time, then chances are good for an extra couple years. I only base this on being a bit of an electronic geek...I love my toys!

That is well known in the electronics world. If it works for the first few months it will last years (with a few rare exceptions). Failures are usually due to poor manufacturing or material defects. Electronics don't usually have moving parts so there's nothing to "wear out".

• 2 weeks later...

That's a mighty small sample size. I've kept my last 4 vehicles at least 2 years past the factory warranty. Throw in my wife's expedition and that makes 5 vehicles that were kept 5 years or 2 years past the warranty. We never had a repair on any of them. If I had purchased extended warranties on all of them I'd now be out $7500.

If extended warranties always paid out more than they cost then the companies selling them would go out of business. It's a gamble and you can always win on one or two vehicles but in the long run you won't come out ahead. There are other reasons to get them but I don't think it's a given that you'll cover the $700 cost.

Statistically speaking, you are right. Most people paid the extended warranty for nothing. But I don't agree that one will always win for not buying the extended warranty in 10-20 years. Because normal people only own a few cars in a long run, and it is still a small sample size in statistics. Your theory only apply for a huge amount of cars and in a long run. It doesn't apply for a small size of a sample.