How cold does your AC blow ?

It was 95 degrees here the other day and I was quite hot before I got in the Edge. I put the AC on max and it eventually cooled the car down but it seemed to take a while and I never really felt like the air coming out was icy cold.

Does yours feel cold? Has anyone measured the temperature of the air coming out? It would be nice to compare.

It was 95 degrees here the other day and I was quite hot before I got in the Edge. I put the AC on max and it eventually cooled the car down but it seemed to take a while and I never really felt like the air coming out was icy cold.

Does yours feel cold? Has anyone measured the temperature of the air coming out? It would be nice to compare.

I noticed this last weekend that our new Edge's air conditioning isn't as strong as the Murano we traded in. Not sure if this is a problem or normal for this car. (It was 86 degrees in Tulsa this weekend...and it gets a lot warmer in the summer months).

I noticed this last weekend that our new Edge's air conditioning isn't as strong as the Murano we traded in. Not sure if this is a problem or normal for this car. (It was 86 degrees in Tulsa this weekend...and it gets a lot warmer in the summer months).

Blazing Copper !!!!!!

Not very cool either, takes a while to chill down...that is the second flaw I have found in mine.

The first is a MAJOR flaw, in design I believe.... drive with the front 2 windows up, the rear 2 down all the way, pick up speed to around 45-50 mph, the back glass and tail-gate start to vibrate violently, getting wors as you pick up speed. I had to pull over getting on the freeway, thinking the back glass was going to

explode !!

Other tan that, it's one great ride.

BTW, I traded in the Hankook tires and put on some Goodyears, 20 in city, 30-34 on highway !!!! :happy feet:

Blazing Copper !!!!!!

Not very cool either, takes a while to chill down...that is the second flaw I have found in mine.

The first is a MAJOR flaw, in design I believe.... drive with the front 2 windows up, the rear 2 down all the way, pick up speed to around 45-50 mph, the back glass and tail-gate start to vibrate violently, getting wors as you pick up speed. I had to pull over getting on the freeway, thinking the back glass was going to

explode !!

Other tan that, it's one great ride.

BTW, I traded in the Hankook tires and put on some Goodyears, 20 in city, 30-34 on highway !!!! :happy feet:

The wind buffeting is a common issue in many cars. Not quite sure what causes it, but most new cars have the same issue.

We have been getting temps in the high 80's and up to mid-90's for a few months now in FL and the AC has been on practically all the time! My wife complains about the vents not pushing the air towards her face, only at her arms - this is a vent issue with those long narrow slits they have on there, whereas most cars have those boxy vents. The car cools down plenty quick enough, but the air may not blow on you as much as in other cars where you get a bit more directional control, thus making it feel like the car isnt cooling as your sweat on your skin isnt able to evaporate as easily. The air speed varies (on auto) depending on what the desired temperature is compared to the actual temperature - the closer it is the slower the air flow, hence they suggest putting it on max and 60F to get the max cooling.

As for the window issue, if i am going to have my windows down anywhere in the car, the front ones go down first, then the rear - why do i want to keep the air flowing in and cooling the back and not myself????

OMG I am FINALLY in the MAJORITY! I was just saying the same to my wife. it has been rather warm here in the Burgh lately and I have to keep the AC on MAX number 4 all the time for the freakin vehicle to stay cool. As soon as you take a notch off, WARMS UP QUICK!

I hope this is a recall!

With the windshield as wide as it is, plus a VISTA roof - I can expect to find the interiors heat fairly quick esp with charcoal leather.

So far - my limited use of the AC has been fine.. but I don't like it very cold....

I will keep an eye on as the weather in the Great White North gets warmer

YES - it can get into high 90s with high humidity... yuck

My Monte SS has a tough time cooling when the sun shade is open also. The radiant heat coming in is pretty bad and an all black interior just adds to the problem.

I think the Edge will be just fine around here. I rarely use the air anyways as I like to drive windows down anyways.

The PT does that wind buffetting real bad and almost blows out your ear drums. I find that if I crack the opposite rear about 2 inches the buffetting stops and the wind calms down.

I find my Explorer LTD was very cold and to much in your face - up till it quit and now needs an evaporator replaced - doh. Engine - snapped crank at balancer and I had to get a whole new motor put in, trans - reverse band snapped and needed a full rebuild, AC failed - twice, axle seals, then axles, transfer case, hall sensors, wheel bearings assy, starter, ABS, battery, heater vents, TPS, radio quit, cruise repaired and more. And this is the last two years. 150,000 km on it so it can be worse LOL. I look forward to a misadjusted vent, slight rattle in the roof and a slightly warm interior compared to my less than 100,000 miles of wrenching.

Looking forward to the Edge. Coutdown is underway!

OMG I am FINALLY in the MAJORITY! I was just saying the same to my wife. it has been rather warm here in the Burgh lately and I have to keep the AC on MAX number 4 all the time for the freakin vehicle to stay cool. As soon as you take a notch off, WARMS UP QUICK!

I hope this is a recall!

Rather cool here in Delaware......I haven't seen a problem at all with the A/C. I usually end up pushing it up to 70 or 71 because it's too cool. Are you all using the auto a/c or pushing it up manually? Auto a/c works great!

Rather cool here in Delaware......I haven't seen a problem at all with the A/C. I usually end up pushing it up to 70 or 71 because it's too cool. Are you all using the auto a/c or pushing it up manually? Auto a/c works great!

The Auto AC you refer to is not on the cheap models (which I have). I have 1-4 as far as how fast the fan blows. lol :hysterical:

If you disengage the auto, there are something like 7 settings for speed, the further you set the climate control off the actual internal temperature the harder it blows.

Its still moving into the mid-90's most days here. I generally keep the climate on 70-75 when i get in for a few minutes to bring it down and then 78-80 for most of the time. If i take it off auto the flow that typically around 3-4 of the 7 settings.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have the auto temperature control and no vista roof. As I mentioned - the other day, it was 95 degrees here and I had the temp set to 60 degrees and the blower was on as high as it would go and I left it that way for our entire 45 minute drive. I wasn't sweating but never really felt like it was fully cooling and de-humidifying the interior. I wasn't as comfortable as I would hope.

Every car I've ever had prior to this car had the ability to freeze me out of the interior if I left it on Max AC for 45 minutes. That includes my current Mercedes CLK500, and former C6, C5 and C4 Corvettes, '04 Infiniti FX35, 95 F-150, 86 Camaro...

I'd have it looked at....as I said, my auto temp. I usually have to push the temperature up because it gets too cold.

Yeah - I think I'll have to do that. A few years ago, my father had a Mercury Cougar. He fought with Ford for years on the AC and finally got it fixed. Every visit, they would replace one part and re-charge the AC. It would be fine for a few months and then enough would leak out to lose its ability to blow cold. In the end, it turned out to be some seal that was not properly designed and always leaked.

I hope there's not a similar issue here.

I hope that everyone here who thinks it's not blowing cold enough reports it to their dealer. The most complaints get the most action.

This is important...did you have the air on re-circulate....mine does not seem too cold if I am using outside air. Make sure it is on recirculate. I don't have the automatic one, so there is a button on the right that shows recirculate.

MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE! :yup:

This is important...did you have the air on re-circulate....mine does not seem too cold if I am using outside air. Make sure it is on recirculate. I don't have the automatic one, so there is a button on the right that shows recirculate.

MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE! :yup:

Agree on the recirculate, particularly when its hot out!

However, even though i leave mine on auto and just adjust the climate temperature, sometimes the recirculate function turns itself off, usually when i turn the temp down to the minimum for max cooling. I just have to turn it back on, but sometimes i dont remember or notice for a while and then wonder why its not cooling as quickly before seeing its not on.

Edited by sim

Ours gets cold and it has been mid 90's here recently. It seems that when driving, I can necer get the air to blow directly on me. Being that I like it colder than the wife does, it really helps to have it blowing on you. She is freezing in the passenger seat and I am warm. Is this the Ford Engineers actually on my side making it so she actually drives????

I have noticed this as well. It seems that it takes forever for the interior to cool down. I have the dark leather seats and they do heat up but it just takes a long time for it to cool down. It has only been in the high 80's here. When it gets really hot I am worried that it will not get cool enough to be bearable.

Shawn.

Personally i believe that the car cools down plenty using these vents, but as they cant be aimed towards the passengers as easily, that it feels like the car isnt cooling down quickly as they arent cooling down quickly by their skin having air blown across it. Even in the mid-90's we are getting now, the car cools down in a couple of minutes to the high 70's if i put the AC on max (60F on auto) for that time - it doesnt blow on me, just pumps cold air into the car.

I did a little more "scientific" approach on how cold the A/C blows in our Edge. I've got an infrared temperature gun that will give you surface temperatures.

Here's what I found...

Outside Air temp (from the Climate control display) - 93*

Surface temp of drivers door - 92.5* (the climate control was pretty acurate on that then)

Outside center of BAMR - 119*

Rear Window - 111*

Back Seats - 84.5*

Front Seat - 84*

Inside Center of BAMR - 115*

These werre taken with the car parked and turned off for 10 minutes after about an hour drive with A/C set at 60*.

After 1 minute of idleing with the A/C set at 60* and recirculating the temperature inside the vents was at 56*

After 5 minute of idleing with the A/C set at 60* and recirculating the temperature inside the vents was at 40*

Not sure on the time, but I actually had the temps drop as low as 32* inside the vents.

The temp on the inside of the BAMR didn't change noticably after 5 minutes of A/C (maybe a degree), but all the seats dropped at least 10* and were getting colder quickly... this was with the BAMR closed, but the shade open in direct sun at 2PM in Georgia. Outside temps stayed the same.

Honestly, I thought the A/C did a great job on this vehicle before I tested it... I only bothered to test it becasue of this thread. I'm pretty satisfied with my results.

As a comparison, my 6yo F-250 CrewCab Diesel had the vents at 63* after 5 minutes of idling (down from 95.5* after 1 minute) but was still dropping.

Bryce

Edited by Bryce

After 1 minute of idleing with the A/C set at 60* and recirculating the temperature inside the vents was at 56*

After 5 minute of idleing with the A/C set at 60* and recirculating the temperature inside the vents was at 40*

Not sure on the time, but I actually had the temps drop as low as 32* inside the vents.

Well, sounds like you just might have THE best AC in any Ford Edge? LOL, I am pretty sure mine will not blow temps in the low 30's. I highly doubt even the 40's. We don't even have too many BLAZING hot days here in Pittsburgh, but we have some heat. I have not done anything to the extent you have, my tests are just by pure feel...I know what cold air feels like and maybe there is a recall on some AC units in our near future?

• 2 weeks later...

I was complaining about mine at first. I live in a hot climate. I did a lot of fooling with the a/c till I figured out that setting it on auto and leaving it works the best for me.

I agree with others that say between the vista windows and black seats, it makes it harder to cool down. When it gets really hard I shut the top and give the a/c a chance to cool down the car and then open the top back up and everything stays cool then.