How to Add a Subwoofer 2011 edge

hello, I have a 2011 Edge SEL without the factory subwoofer. I want to upgrade my speakers and add a subwoofer also. Is there a way to add a aftermarket style subwoofer in that little area to the right side of the trunk. . I want it to blend in like the factory style. Any links, parts, pics, videos, mods etc, would be great. Thanks for all your help.

• 1 month later...

IMO if you want to switch to the "factory" woofer you will be much happier with the JL stealth box. it will still fit into the factory location.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1606

You are dead on. The Jl Stealthbox for the Edge is an incredible sounding subwoofer - tight, controlled, but extremely punchy response. It does need a decent amp, which will set you back another $400+, but as they say, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after low pricing is forgotten!

I had one installed this week along with a couple of old amps, DLS UP6i 6.5" components up front, JL C2-570's in the rear doors, and an Audio Control Lc7. I've had many subwoofers(Boston Pro, Diamond Audio, Focal, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate) over the years and this is one of the best. The sound is amazing, waaay better than any factory system(Bang & Olufsen BeoSound in the Mercedes S Class AMG excluded).

• Like 1

I have a 2011 Edge SEL without the sub. Just a clarification, if I purchased the JL sub, would I also need to purchase the panel that covers the subwoofer area from Ford? What is that panel called? Cant find it in the fordparts.com system (mainly because I do not know what to search for).

Thanks!

You are dead on. The Jl Stealthbox for the Edge is an incredible sounding subwoofer - tight, controlled, but extremely punchy response. It does need a decent amp, which will set you back another $400+, but as they say, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after low pricing is forgotten!

I had one installed this week along with a couple of old amps, DLS UP6i 6.5" components up front, JL C2-570's in the rear doors, and an Audio Control Lc7. I've had many subwoofers(Boston Pro, Diamond Audio, Focal, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate) over the years and this is one of the best. The sound is amazing, waaay better than any factory system(Bang & Olufsen BeoSound in the Mercedes S Class AMG excluded).

2011 edge limited..

where did you end up putting amplifiers?

im looking to upgrade front speakers and sub....

I have a 2011 Edge SEL without the sub. Just a clarification, if I purchased the JL sub, would I also need to purchase the panel that covers the subwoofer area from Ford? What is that panel called? Cant find it in the fordparts.com system (mainly because I do not know what to search for).

Thanks!

The Jl Audio Stealthbox comes with a black grill that covers the sub. The color of this grill could be easily matched to your interior color by any reputable car stereo shop. The rear plastic interior panel (where the factory pocket is) has to be cut out another inch or so along the lower edge so that this grill fits correctly. Again probably best done by an experienced install unless you're good with a dremel. If you go to the JL Audio website and lookup the Ford Edge stealthbox, you can download the vehicle specific instructions that shows color pictures of each of the 26 installation steps, including pictures of the grill.

2011 edge limited..

where did you end up putting amplifiers?

im looking to upgrade front speakers and sub....

The foam blocks that surrounded the spare tire were removed and the amps, processor, and 1 farad capacitor were mounted around the spare tire. Actually plenty of room for another amp or other electronics if needed. Support brackets for the rear floor had to be fabricated to replace the foam blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

The foam blocks that surrounded the spare tire were removed and the amps, processor, and 1 farad capacitor were mounted around the spare tire. Actually plenty of room for another amp or other electronics if needed. Support brackets for the rear floor had to be fabricated to replace the foam blocks.

Where are the pics?

We want pics!!!

PS - Why did you install a capacitor? You'd get far better performance by upgrading the alternator, battery and ground cables.

ok, i will look there...

also.. grabbing the signal.... is the factory amp, outboard? im not sure how this system audio wise is set up...

years past... ford would mount the sub amp near the sub, and thats where id get signal and go to a new sub amp

mitch

Keep in mind that the factory head unit lowers the bass signal as you increase the volume so you HAVE to install a JL Cleansweep or comparable unit if you want an increase in bass with your increase in volume.

Keep in mind that the factory head unit lowers the bass signal as you increase the volume so you HAVE to install a JL Cleansweep or comparable unit if you want an increase in bass with your increase in volume.

are we sure about this?

i cant really tell, since they factory sub isnt very profound anyway

mitch

• 2 weeks later...

For those with the JL audio sub installed, where did you mount your amp or amps? Neither of mine (one for sub, one for 4 door speakers) will fit under the rear seats as they hit when the seats are folded down. I was thinking of just mounting them on the back of the rear seats and wiring accordingly so they dont interfere with the mechanism of folding down. But that options leaves them visible which isnt my first choice.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting that link.

Now It would be nice if they showed what wires are needed off the factory head unit to hook this up! I got a 2011 Edge and there is no Aftermarket kit or Radio available due to how the factory installed the radio.

I purchased an MTX re-q5 which is a signal processor that restores sound quality when adding an amp and sub to a factory stereo. I have used one of these many times in the past and the work great, and all you need to do is find the factory speaker harness and tap into that, and then the amps wire off of that. Here it is on Crutchfield (though I purchased it off Amazon because it was $100 cheaper):

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236REQ5/MTX-re-Q5.html?tp=6870

And instructions on how to install it:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/236/236REQ5.PDF

Where are the pics?

We want pics!!!

PS - Why did you install a capacitor? You'd get far better performance by upgrading the alternator, battery and ground cables.

[/quote

Who said the battery and ground cables were not upgraded? The 150amp stock alternator is MORE than adequate to supply the necessary voltage and amperage for the 2 amplifiers I am running. I can easily get 125db spl inside the vehicle with zero dimming of any lights. For those who don't know what 125db is - it is the level that pain begins in your ears. A loud rock concert with on the floor seats will be about about 115-120db.

A capacitor does have limited value with the electrical sytems in todays vehicles, but I had it laying around from my younger days of competing in IASCA competitions - there was room for it and it can't hurt the voltage supply of the electrical system.

Here are the pics.

post-13623-017305800 1300464559_thumb.jpg

post-13623-074582300 1300464567_thumb.jpg

post-13623-046138400 1300464578_thumb.jpg

post-13623-043611700 1300464588_thumb.jpg

post-13623-057722400 1300464599_thumb.jpg

Edited by tahoebum
  • Like 1

I agree 150amps is a lot and is sufficient.

I have a 130amp alternator in my 1998 Windstar with 139,000 miles on with no cap and original grounds and power wires. I am running a very old MTX 250 Watt amp in mono/stereo running 1 Kicker 10' non ported sub and I barely get dimming lights. I imagine if I upgraded the amp to a newer less power sucking unit and stock ground and positive wires my dimming would go away.