Speaker Test/Diagnostic Mode

Does anyone know what combination of buttons one needs to push to enter the audio diagnostic/speaker test mode? On two separate occasions one of the speakers in the passenger door sounded as if it was blown (rattling/terribly distorted at any volume level). I called the dealer and they said that I would have to bring it in and leave it for the "audio guy" to come in (outside contractor) and check it out. I was 100% sure at the time that the speaker was blown, but the audio sounds great again in the car. I'm wondering if the speaker is blown but since there are 11 other speakers still working properly, they are drowning out the blown speaker. I have a 2011 Sport, which has the Sony 12 speaker premium system. I have seen such a key combination on here for '10 models and earlier, but that doesn't work on the new system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by Ridbidge

I played around with this just a little and could not get it to work. See what you get.

Audio Systems With Touchscreen

1. Turn the ACM on.

2. Operate the audio system in radio tuner (AM/FM) mode.

3. Press and hold the seek up button and the eject button at the same time until the speaker walk-around test begins.

• The display indicates each speaker as it is tested.

4. NOTE: If the speaker walk-around test is the only test required, this procedure can be stopped after Step 3 by turning the ACM off, or by selecting Exit using the touch screen menu.

I played around with this just a little and could not get it to work. See what you get.

Audio Systems With Touchscreen

1. Turn the ACM on.

2. Operate the audio system in radio tuner (AM/FM) mode.

3. Press and hold the seek up button and the eject button at the same time until the speaker walk-around test begins.

• The display indicates each speaker as it is tested.

4. NOTE: If the speaker walk-around test is the only test required, this procedure can be stopped after Step 3 by turning the ACM off, or by selecting Exit using the touch screen menu.

Thank you! (What is the ACM?)

some Edge (or Ford in general) acronyms...

Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM)

Audio Control Module (ACM)

Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM)

Steering Column Control Module (SCCM)

Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM)

Global Positioning System Module (GPSM)

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Oh that's what APIM stands for!! ;) Thanks!

Great info! that should be made into a sticky

I have noticed that audio distortion too on a couple of occasions. Both times the audio coming from the rear passenger side door speaker was terribly distorted for the first few minutes after starting the car (2011 Edge Limited AWD). The sound was annoying so I turned the volume right down for a bit, then when I cranked the volume back up a few minutes later, it was fine.

Like I said, I only remember the happening twice. I know for sure the last time it happened the outside temperature was about -20 C, so I put it down to some sort of weather related issue. I'll make a note of the circumstances if and when the distortion comes back.