New Edge Sport. mods where to start?

Ok guys today the GF is picking up her brand new 2011 Edge Sport.

So Im not new to modifying cars but I have never owned a crossover so I have no idea even where to start so I am open to ideas. But she is looking for cosmetic over performance mods

Her sport is Black on black so maybe a blacked out theme

Here are a few things she is not open too.

Paint jobs

or any modification that keeps it from being a DD

Edited by Yamifanatic

Livio has them on his Black Sport, they look fantastic cleaning up and finishing off the look of the wheels.

See post #7 for his photo

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/5067-mgp-caliper-covers/page__p__45053__hl__livio__fromsearch__1#entry45053

Nice! I wonder if they fit the Limited with the 20" wheels

hmm interesting not exactly what i was looking for but maybe you guys might have some more ideas

we r gonna tint the front windows 20% to match and maybe tint the rear taillights

Keep the ideas coming.

We took it up to the mountain to go snowboarding and got tons of compliments on it and the gf loves it. so far a happy owner

Please please please don't tint the rear taillights. Don't sacrifice visibility for coolness.

Not to mention its illegal. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news. NJ just started a no tolerance traffic enforcement plan on window and tail light tints. As the statute states in the last paragraph, Judges contend that tint limits your visibility at night putting pedestrians in danger.

39:3-75. Safety glass

The term "safety glass" shall be construed as meaning glass so treated or combined with other materials as to reduce, in comparison with ordinary sheet glass or plate glass, the likelihood of injury to persons by objects from exterior sources or by glass when the glass is cracked or broken. The term "safety glazing material" shall be construed as meaning "safety glass" ; or other glazing materials, such as plastics, produced for the purpose of safety in glazing; or a combination of safety glass and other safety glazing material. The term "approved safety glazing material" shall be construed as meaning safety glazing material of a type approved by the director. In the approving of safety glazing materials, the director is hereby given authority to make use of recognized standards to confine the use of certain types of safety glazing materials to a specific location in or on the vehicle, or to a certain purpose.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle manufactured on or after July first, nineteen hundred and thirty-five and registered in this State unless such vehicle is equipped with approved safety glazing material wherever glazing is used in doors, windows and windshields. The term "windshield" shall be construed to include wings, deflectors and side shields; also front corner lights adjoining windshields.

Every section of safety glazing material shall be legibly and permanently marked with the manufacturers' distinctive designations, under which the safety glazing material was approved, so as to be visible when installed.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with safety glazing material which causes undue or unsafe distortion of visibility or equipped with unduly fractured, discolored or deteriorated safety glazing material, and the director may revoke the registration of any such vehicle.

Amended by L.1949, c. 258, p. 823, s. 1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Tinting of Taillights..., Although Im a car guy and I like the look, here's the law that outlaws tinting lights. Now I know the argument is "But when the lights shine they still shine red". That may be the case in the dark, but in daylight the lights don't look or reflect red, they're black, or meant to look black, so they're not reflecting red. So in NJ theres no tolerance of either....

39:3-50. Color of lights, permits; cancellation or revocation of permits; fee.

39:3-50. All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.

(a) The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows, except as otherwise provided in paragraphs (B), © and (d) of this section:

White when the lamp is a headlamp, or spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign; or is located on the outside limit of a side car or other attachment on a motor cycle;

Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;

Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear;

Red when any other lamp or any reflector is on the rear or on either side at or near the rear, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (f) of section 39:3-61 for a combination marker lamp;

Amber when any other lamp or reflector is on the front or on either side other than at or near the rear.

(B) Lamps and reflectors on projecting loads shall emit or reflect light with color as provided in section 10 of this act.

© No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any street or highway equipped with any device or lamp thereon capable of or displaying a light of any other color than permitted by this section, except: an authorized emergency vehicle, an authorized school bus, or a vehicle authorized by a permit issued by the chief administrator.

(d) A permit authorizing a vehicle to be equipped with a lamp capable of or displaying a flashing light, except as provided in 39:3-54 or a light of a color other than permitted by this section, visible from directly in front of said vehicle, may be issued by the director when necessary, in his discretion, for the reasonable and safe movement of traffic. The permit shall specify the type and color of such lamp and the conditions under which a person may drive or move the vehicle with said lamp displaying a light. The permit shall be valid only when the specifications and conditions contained therein are complied with. The chief administrator shall collect a $25 fee for the initial issuance and for each subsequent renewal of the permit for each vehicle for which the applicant seeks to use such a light, provided, however, that no fee shall be charged for a permit authorizing the use of a light that is red or blue. The fee set forth in this section shall not apply to a motor vehicle registered at no fee pursuant to R.S.39:3-27. The fees collected pursuant to this section shall be considered revenue of the commission and shall not be subject to the calculation of proportional revenue remitted to the commission pursuant to section 105 of P.L.2003, c.13 (C.39:2A-36).

The chief administrator may cancel or revoke a permit issued under authority of this section whenever the conditions for its issuance no longer exist or on any other reasonable grounds.

Amended 1951, c.24; 1964, c.136, s.3; 2007, c.242, s.5.

• 3 weeks later...

The tail light controversy is always going to be there. I received 2 fix it tickets in California for my last truck....however all I had to do was have an officer sign off on the ticket and it cost me nothing. Plus I didnt have to change the lights back. If you get the right tinting spray the lights will still show through red. I got some stuff straight from Japan, it worked great.

Wow,. first off, i saw a new, 2011 black Edge Sport the other day,... TOTAL HEAD TURNER! AS for mods,... heck you shoulda just PM'd me. LOL I think i have the most modded Edge here! :) If you like Carbon Fiber, it blends really nice with black vehicles. Check out my posts where i wrapped my dash. I plan to wrap exterior panels as well. You could change out your exhaust tips with larger ones, then paint them flat black (like mine). You could remove the emblems off the back and then have the words remade in flat black vinyl (ahem,... like mine). You could add the 3D Carbon fender vents, super easy to install, .... after you get enough balls to cut a whole in the fender of your new ride, LOL. But afterwards, they look like the vehicle came with them, very clean, factory look. (again,.. check out my pics). You could add some LED's to the front,... (refer to my pics again, lol) You could black out the "Ford" emblems,.... (you know what i would say here). Stereo wise, you could upgrade the subwoofer,.. give it alittle more bump-in-the-trunk, for the long road trips. (I can advise in this area as well). You can also swap out your door speakers for better speakers as well :)

Thats about all i can think of for now, that doesn't deal with performance. OH, definitely get a weather-tech rear cargo mat. Worth every penny!

-Cannon

• 2 weeks later...

Wow,. first off, i saw a new, 2011 black Edge Sport the other day,... TOTAL HEAD TURNER! AS for mods,... heck you shoulda just PM'd me. LOL I think i have the most modded Edge here! :) If you like Carbon Fiber, it blends really nice with black vehicles. Check out my posts where i wrapped my dash. I plan to wrap exterior panels as well. You could change out your exhaust tips with larger ones, then paint them flat black (like mine). You could remove the emblems off the back and then have the words remade in flat black vinyl (ahem,... like mine). You could add the 3D Carbon fender vents, super easy to install, .... after you get enough balls to cut a whole in the fender of your new ride, LOL. But afterwards, they look like the vehicle came with them, very clean, factory look. (again,.. check out my pics). You could add some LED's to the front,... (refer to my pics again, lol) You could black out the "Ford" emblems,.... (you know what i would say here). Stereo wise, you could upgrade the subwoofer,.. give it alittle more bump-in-the-trunk, for the long road trips. (I can advise in this area as well). You can also swap out your door speakers for better speakers as well :)

Thats about all i can think of for now, that doesn't deal with performance. OH, definitely get a weather-tech rear cargo mat. Worth every penny!

-Cannon

I'm going to do the same thing with Di Noc :)

And yes, Weather Tech FTW.

As for other mods,

- LED mirror turn signals into an OE housing eventually.

- Suede Vista/BAMR cover

- Suede headliner

- Screen protector material to overlay on the Sony HU capacitive controls. (like smartphone stuff)

- 400W Power Inverter

- Viper SmartStart integrated to my Intelligent Access (going to forgo the dealer added alarm)

- Body painted rockers and lower fascia

- Yakima Q Tower Racks with clips first, then Thule track with the Yakima Q Towers

- Bike rack, snowboard rack

- Knight Rider style "running" red leds tucked into grille with switch.

Edited by cal3thousand

• 2 weeks later...

I was very close to getting a black edge but a white one came up so i jumped on it..

as far as mods look into switching interior lights out to LEDs along with the license plate and puddle lights.

tinting the tails (not murdering it completely) i smoked mine but a light coat so its more a deeper red.

Tint (if its legal for you guys) etc

and if you know someone who can take apart headlights try painting the insides black (ill be attempting that pretty soon)

• 2 weeks later...

I baked my headlights off of my 2008 Edge, and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!! Apparently, Ford uses the same glue that NASA uses on the space shuttle, to hold their headlights together. NOT like other manufacturers glue!!!. Do a search on the net and you'll see what i mean. Anyways, i pulled it off,.. installed LED's (like the Audi's),.. then had the LED's burn out because they are very temp. sensitive. Long story short, i did it, it is possible, but the end result was ugly, and ALOT of RTV sealant to get it back together.

-Cannon

I baked my headlights off of my 2008 Edge, and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!! Apparently, Ford uses the same glue that NASA uses on the space shuttle, to hold their headlights together. NOT like other manufacturers glue!!!. Do a search on the net and you'll see what i mean. Anyways, i pulled it off,.. installed LED's (like the Audi's),.. then had the LED's burn out because they are very temp. sensitive. Long story short, i did it, it is possible, but the end result was ugly, and ALOT of RTV sealant to get it back together.

-Cannon

yeah I hate that glue all the newer Chrysler products have those. its a nightmare to open up and retrofit now days...