Adhesive Removal / Clay Bar??

First, I received my shipment in the mail last week from Detailed Image, ONR some Poor Boys Products (S&W 0 Wheel Sealant, Gel) etc. Thanks to all for the advice. Have a new 2011 Ford Explorer for a few weeks now. I waited til the blizzard passed this week to finally try out the products. Two bucket wash with ONR after hitting a local touchless wash to get all the crud off. Worked great, the car looked like I just received it from the dealer.

Only problem was I found several spots where there was a sticky residue (one on the hood and one larger spot near the gas tank) on the car. I assume this was from the plastic wrapping that the car was in during shipment. It was also all various spots on my rims, so while I washed my rims I didn't seal them yet. Again, overall the car turned out totally amazing, I was super pleased.

So, I assume I need to use a clay bar to get that off, correct? Or should I use an adhesive remover (Goo Gone, 3M Adhesive Remover) Any advice? I've read the tutorials from Canuck and on the Detailed Image site regarding claying, but they don't address more sticky residue situations..should I treat this like tar and use some type of solvent?

1. If I use clay, do I need to clay the entire panel, or can I just clay the effected certain areas ?

2. After claying, can I just spot wax? I'm not sure I have the time or the skill to wax the entire car (yet).

3. Ditto for the rims, can I just clay the tacky areas or do I need to do the entire rim?

4. If I clay the wheels, should I just use the PB Wheel Sealant afterwards?

5. Is clay the only approach, anything else that I should use instead like a solvent? I read elsewhere that people recommend everything from Goo Gone, Rubbing Alcohol, WD40 to Tar Remover to 3M Adhesive removal.

I'm confused on this one, obviously not interested in marring the paint or clear coat.......should I take it back to the dealer?

Thanks for the advice.

H

Edited by Hopper

Whenever you touch the car's surface, always start with the least aggressive method and then amp it up if it's not successful. Try 3m or the goo gone or tarminator or krud kutter or varsol. I ended up using Varsol. You can see im my attached post where I had a tough time removing it from the wheels.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6182-detailing-my-mkx/

Edited by richy

Whenever you touch the car's surface, always start with the least aggressive method and then amp it up if it's not successful. Try 3m or the goo gone or tarminator or krud kutter or varsol. I ended up using Varsol. You can see im my attached post where I had a tough time removing it from the wheels.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6182-detailing-my-mkx/

Thanks so much. I think I'm in a similar boat regarding the tires.....that glue is in several spots on each tire (ugh).... What is Varsol.....can I pick that up at a home depot or lowes?

Goo gone is perfect for just about any sticky residue on your paint. I use it quite frequently on customer vehicles, especially when removing dealership stickers.

Thanks Canuck! Appreciate all the advice on everything. Going to tackle it this weekend once I wash the car up.

So April/May time? like me?

Since I have it on hand in the medicine cabinent, I tried a little IPA (ie rubbing alcohol), diluted it 50:50 ratio and tried it on my rims. Seemed to do a good job. I haven't made it to the hardware store yet to get the goo gone, but I'll post an update later this weekend after I wash the car. I wanted to at least get the rims cleaned up so I could put on the poor boys wheel sealant (before I eat it all straight out of the jar -- it smells like candy).

Since I have it on hand in the medicine cabinent, I tried a little IPA (ie rubbing alcohol), diluted it 50:50 ratio and tried it on my rims. Seemed to do a good job. I haven't made it to the hardware store yet to get the goo gone, but I'll post an update later this weekend after I wash the car. I wanted to at least get the rims cleaned up so I could put on the poor boys wheel sealant (before I eat it all straight out of the jar -- it smells like candy).

Hahaha, I know what you mean. You should smell the Nattys Blue, it's got a great bubble gum smell that makes you just want get a spoon and eat it!! :hysterical:

Good job on the 50/50 mix. It's a also great way to remove any oils, residue, etc from your paint before detailing. :)

BTW, forgot to add a photo of the snow banks behind me car. The photo, a bit out of focus shows snow banks around 12 feet tall on February 02. We recieved more snow in subsequnet storms. I can throw light snow over the banks, but heavy snow, I'm done.

I picked up my car on Dec 17. I've never gotten the chance to hand wash it. Hopefully, soon I can spend some time washing the car.

post-95-090976100 1297467311_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much. I think I'm in a similar boat regarding the tires.....that glue is in several spots on each tire (ugh).... What is Varsol.....can I pick that up at a home depot or lowes?

Varsol is a solvent. It may be more of a Canadian thing. If you are in the US, you can go to Walmart and get some prepsol. Any solvent like that will do just fine. The goo gone did shit for my glue on my wheels. I needed a stronger solvent. Use an all purpose cleaner after and they will be squeaky clean.