Oil Change

jsabia85

Absolutely not. The factory fill is a synthetic blend 5w-20. The full synthetic version is optional and IMO not necessary.

I thought the 2011 had a smart oil change reminder that tells you when to change it up to 10K miles.

Good to know that the factory fill is not full synthetic. Darn Oli Change places- just trying to get you to upgrade.

As for the smart oil life indication, I have been keeping an eye on that since. I am not sure that one should go by that or by milage. I've never got below 50% good. If you were to go by the oli life indicator only, the manual should say that explicitly. It does mention it, but then gives the section on straight milage. Seems that while this oil life indicator is there, it really does not mean anything. WHat possibly could it do? I can't actually masure the health of your oil? I suspect it is just a sensor? Does anyone kow what that oil life indicator ia actually measuring ??

Good to know that the factory fill is not full synthetic. Darn Oli Change places- just trying to get you to upgrade.

As for the smart oil life indication, I have been keeping an eye on that since. I am not sure that one should go by that or by milage. I've never got below 50% good. If you were to go by the oli life indicator only, the manual should say that explicitly. It does mention it, but then gives the section on straight milage. Seems that while this oil life indicator is there, it really does not mean anything. WHat possibly could it do? I can't actually masure the health of your oil? I suspect it is just a sensor? Does anyone kow what that oil life indicator ia actually measuring ??

The OM does say to go by the message center reminder on oil change interval - very explicitly. For normal service. The other mileages are for severe service.

Under normal circumstances you should be around 5000 miles since last change at 50% if it was reset properly. If it doesn't change at all within a month then a trip to the dealer would be in order.

The OM does say to go by the message center reminder on oil change interval - very explicitly. For normal service. The other mileages are for severe service.

Under normal circumstances you should be around 5000 miles since last change at 50% if it was reset properly. If it doesn't change at all within a month then a trip to the dealer would be in order.

Also I had received a pamphlet from Ford Canada (Not the dealership where I purchased) and it tells you to go my the message center. The dealerships just want customer to bring in the cars early so they can earn a bit of extra money on extra oil changes. I did do my 1st change early, but I figured its the 1st change and it won't hurt anything to do it early except your pocketbook..

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Our 2011 Edge has ~ 10,500 miles on it and I am going to begin using the Amsoil Synthetic with a NAPA gold filter (Made by Wix). I did my first conventional oil change with ~ 1,000 miles and cut open the filter and there were particles of metal flash and other items in it. While the filter caught the junk, they were floating around in there until stopped by the filter. Second oil change was at dealer at ~ 4,500 miles. They actually told my wife it was not necessary, then they saw the non original filter and told her not to come back until 8,500 miles (decent dealership). She had it changed and I took that filter and cut it open. Very few particles and much smaller in size were found. So this coming weekend it's time to change the oil. Once I have put the Amsoil in, I change the oil every 6 months regardless of miles. I usually roll up 11 - 12k during that period. Amsoil says it's good for 25k miles by changing the filter and adding a quart at the halfway mark. I'm too chicken s$%# for that, but the 6 month thing has worked well. My first Volvo wagon went 280,000 miles and my second went 190,000 miles. Both Volvos were turbo (original turbos still running strong when sold) and the 740 was delivering pizzas at 360,000 miles when I last saw it! Second Volvo has pushed over the 220k mark with no signs of trouble (don't know how new owner is maintaining it). My Ranger has 221,000 miles on it and still runs great. The 3000 mile thing is a myth. With newer filtration media, cleaner running, computer controlled engines, higher quality lubricants (synthetic and conventional) with better additive packs, there is no reason regular usage cannot get 7,500 miles from an oil change. One thing to keep in mind that most of the damage causing particles come from the air - so make sure you have quality air filtration on the top end. I have used K&N and clean and oil them once a year. There is a site for "Bob the Oil Guy" which has tons of information on this. Enjoy

Dave

Our 2011 Edge has ~ 10,500 miles on it and I am going to begin using the Amsoil Synthetic with a NAPA gold filter (Made by Wix). I did my first conventional oil change with ~ 1,000 miles and cut open the filter and there were particles of metal flash and other items in it. While the filter caught the junk, they were floating around in there until stopped by the filter. Second oil change was at dealer at ~ 4,500 miles. They actually told my wife it was not necessary, then they saw the non original filter and told her not to come back until 8,500 miles (decent dealership). She had it changed and I took that filter and cut it open. Very few particles and much smaller in size were found. So this coming weekend it's time to change the oil. Once I have put the Amsoil in, I change the oil every 6 months regardless of miles. I usually roll up 11 - 12k during that period. Amsoil says it's good for 25k miles by changing the filter and adding a quart at the halfway mark. I'm too chicken s$%# for that, but the 6 month thing has worked well. My first Volvo wagon went 280,000 miles and my second went 190,000 miles. Both Volvos were turbo (original turbos still running strong when sold) and the 740 was delivering pizzas at 360,000 miles when I last saw it! Second Volvo has pushed over the 220k mark with no signs of trouble (don't know how new owner is maintaining it). My Ranger has 221,000 miles on it and still runs great. The 3000 mile thing is a myth. With newer filtration media, cleaner running, computer controlled engines, higher quality lubricants (synthetic and conventional) with better additive packs, there is no reason regular usage cannot get 7,500 miles from an oil change. One thing to keep in mind that most of the damage causing particles come from the air - so make sure you have quality air filtration on the top end. I have used K&N and clean and oil them once a year. There is a site for "Bob the Oil Guy" which has tons of information on this. Enjoy

Dave

If you're looking for more protection for the engine then you need a regular paper OEM filter, not the K&N. Not that I think it's a significant difference, but the K&N does let through more smaller particles.