Oil Change

jsabia85

I am currently at 2,750 miles on my Edge. My dealer stated that the oil should be changed every 3,000. I was reading the manual and it says 10,000 mile oil change intervals. I was wondering what everybody is doing with their edges? Should I change my oil at 3,000 or at 10,000?

Go by the manual - or do it a little sooner at 7500. There is no way it should be changed at 3000.

Go by the manual - or do it a little sooner at 7500. There is no way it should be changed at 3000.

I used to be stuck in the mindset of every 3,000 from following that pattern for 20 years... however I've lightened up a bit and now go every 5,000. Too stuck in my old ways to let it go for 7,500 and 5,000 is both a compromise and very easy to track when looking at the odometer.

I used to be stuck in the mindset of every 3,000 from following that pattern for 20 years... however I've lightened up a bit and now go every 5,000. Too stuck in my old ways to let it go for 7,500 and 5,000 is both a compromise and very easy to track when looking at the odometer.

I will change mine (being built the week of 2/28) at the recommended interval. I will use synthetic.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and change it once a year, whether it needs a change or not. (About 12,000 miles). This has worked to perfection in my 3 other vehicles. I only recommend this after the Ford warranty is expired. Note, new oil standards have been released and the new oils now hitting the shelf should be good for 7,500 miles.

Edited by Feirstein

I am currently at 2,750 miles on my Edge. My dealer stated that the oil should be changed every 3,000. I was reading the manual and it says 10,000 mile oil change intervals. I was wondering what everybody is doing with their edges? Should I change my oil at 3,000 or at 10,000?

I just had mine changed at 2000 miles. I always like to do the first change early. I guess it is my superstition that there might be a few nasty particles left over from manufacturing--probably unwarranted. I also wanted to get to know the dealer. I will probably go 5000 before my next oil change and I usually don't switch to sythetic until the engine has 10,000 mi.

3000 mi. oil changes have been totally debunked. Modern engines with premium dino oil can go 7500 with no problem. Check the Internet. My son has a BMW 330i. BMW wouldn't change the Mobil1 oil until 15,000. That would have made me squirm but he has had no engine problems in 150,000+ miles.

Don't let them intimidate you into 3000 mile oil changes. They are a thing of the past.

If you're really worried about long oil life just send off a sample every 3 months for testing - they'll tell you if it needs to be changed or not and you won't risk damaging your engine.

My guess is you can easily go 10K miles or longer with the factory synthetic blend with absolutely no problems under normal usage.

• 1 month later...

If you're really worried about long oil life just send off a sample every 3 months for testing - they'll tell you if it needs to be changed or not and you won't risk damaging your engine.

My guess is you can easily go 10K miles or longer with the factory synthetic blend with absolutely no problems under normal usage.

Ford told me every 5k miles

That's the recommendation. But I suspect you can go 10k with no problems because today's oils and filters are so much better.

I agree that one COULD go 10k+ miles given optimal conditions including mild weather, and a low dust, traffic-free environment. You had better be changing your air filter that often too, if that's the case.

Today's oils and, more importantly, engine tolerances allow longer change intervals. But recommended is just that. A blanket recommendation that will cover a vast majority of users and conditions. YMMV.

If you want piece of mind but don't want to be 'wasteful', do it every 5000 miles. If you want to stretch it out and think you can, make sure its a quality oil and filter and make sure you inspect it often. Just because your 'change interval' has not come around, does not mean that the oil will not have degraded at all in the last 1000 miles (oil can degrade quickly if abused).

Edited by cal3thousand

• 3 weeks later...

I live in South Florida where it can get really really hot, so I do some maintenance using the "severe conditions" timeline.

Every 5k miles is fine, especially if you use synthetic.

I have mine scheduled this weekend, have just over 10k on it, and the oil life still shows about 50% left. I know I received somthing in the mail saying the edge is equipped with the intellegent oil monitor and you should take it in when it says so, but I figured its the 1st oil change.. I figure we can get approx 16k before the oil monitor says it needs changing.

M.

I have mine scheduled this weekend, have just over 10k on it, and the oil life still shows about 50% left. I know I received somthing in the mail saying the edge is equipped with the intellegent oil monitor and you should take it in when it says so, but I figured its the 1st oil change.. I figure we can get approx 16k before the oil monitor says it needs changing.

M.

Yeah - we have 7500 and the reminder thing is still about 50% - I figure we will do it soon.

M.

Good idea.

If I were to change my oil earlier than the recommended interval, it would definitely be the first oil change. In fact, I'm going to change it out myself at about 3000 miles (4800 km). I could wait until 5,000 mi in my environment easily, but I'm antsy to bust my first jack/lift-free oil change.

• 5 months later...

For the first oil change, I took it my 2011 Edge Limited the dealer, but I am tired of waiting all day for just an oil change, so I went it a Oil Change shop (SuperLube). They said that the only Ford approved oil is a full synthetic. While I sat there, I looked at the manual, and while it sort of says that, it is not 100% clear that a full synthetic is the only approved oil. For the extra $$ I was not going to have a fit, so I told then to go ahead with the full synthetic. I did not keep my invoice from the first oil change, done at the dealership, but I am pretty sure that it was non-synthetic.

So - what is the truth? Is the only Ford approved oil a full synthetic?

Also - about the milage between changes - the manual is not clear. It gives a few possible numbers, but what is the true number?

There is no way I am changing full syntheic oil at 5,000 km (3,000 miles) - that is nuts.

So - what is the truth? Is the only Ford approved oil a full synthetic?

Also - about the milage between changes - the manual is not clear. It gives a few possible numbers, but what is the true number?

Absolutely not. The factory fill is a synthetic blend 5w-20. The full synthetic version is optional and IMO not necessary.

I thought the 2011 had a smart oil change reminder that tells you when to change it up to 10K miles.

Absolutely not. The factory fill is a synthetic blend 5w-20. The full synthetic version is optional and IMO not necessary.

I thought the 2011 had a smart oil change reminder that tells you when to change it up to 10K miles.

The 2011 does have the smart oil system, it's on the right hand side LCD under information -> system check -> oil life and it shows a percentage left.

I did my 1st oil change at approx 10,000 kms (before the car indicated it would require a oil change I think I had approx 35-40% life left) and I'm currently at 23, 000 kms and have 27% life left. The dealerships will start sending you notifications that you need to bring the car in for service, however ford sent me a letter saying take it in when the car says, so I'm waiting for that..

M.