And the Problems continue

k1200rsport

Bought my 2011 Edge limited on Feb.12th, was in shop on Feb. 15th for Gas cap warning light. Fod recommended that dealership resets the PCM, they did, hopefully it stays off. On Feb. 16th car was back at the dealership because shimming 3M tape was exposed between A-pillar and windshield on the passenger side. This is just poor workmanship a nd quality control, I thought Ford was up there with Honda and Toyota, i seriously doubt that.

Last 5 months I've purchased new taurus and edge (both 2011 MY) and given Fod over $60k....not very impressed so far. Last 2 vehicles before this Nissan and Toyota..no such issues. I was surprised to see such a visual quality defect passed the manufacturing.

See for yourself,

post-13971-005947900 1297952303_thumb.jpg

Bought my 2011 Edge limited on Feb.12th, was in shop on Feb. 15th for Gas cap warning light. Fod recommended that dealership resets the PCM, they did, hopefully it stays off. On Feb. 16th car was back at the dealership because shimming 3M tape was exposed between A-pillar and windshield on the passenger side. This is just poor workmanship a nd quality control, I thought Ford was up there with Honda and Toyota, i seriously doubt that.

Last 5 months I've purchased new taurus and edge (both 2011 MY) and given Fod over $60k....not very impressed so far. Last 2 vehicles before this Nissan and Toyota..no such issues. I was surprised to see such a visual quality defect passed the manufacturing.

See for yourself,

Really? All that over one minor trim issue? Do you honestly think that never happens to Honda or Toyota?

As for the gas cap - somebody didn't put it back on tight (probably the dealer). You can't blame that one on Ford.

Edited by akirby

Yes, it happens at Toyota and Nissan too but in cheaper models not in $35k plus cars.

I paid Ford more the $60K in last 5 months and yes since i am paying I expect better because it is my hard earned money. And if you lower your expectations from these companies....guess what they will give you that and will be back the same way they were few years ago.

Also if Ford is coming out with these vehicles and trying to edge close to prices of Aura and Infiniti....well then similar is expected of them.

And I am sorry that you guys have lowered your expectations and are willing to just pay them your hard earned money.

Yes, it happens at Toyota and Nissan too but in cheaper models not in $35k plus cars.

It happens in all mass produced vehicles from time to time regardless of price. You are overreacting to a single extremely minor cosmetic issue that nobody else has reported AFAIK.

If it bothers you that much then sell it and go buy one of those perfect Toyotas.......

It happens in all mass produced vehicles from time to time regardless of price. You are overreacting to a single extremely minor cosmetic issue that nobody else has reported AFAIK.

If it bothers you that much then sell it and go buy one of those perfect Toyotas.......

Kirby, having owned many imports and domestic vehicles, believe me Toyota's are FAR from perfect (BTW I know you're not serious)

Sadly the comment about us lowering expectations is somewhat true, most societies has accepted the cheap inferior Chineese products due to cost. Probably Ford has the hardware / software manuafactured over there.

:redcard:

Kirby, having owned many imports and domestic vehicles, believe me Toyota's are FAR from perfect (BTW I know you're not serious)

Sadly the comment about us lowering expectations is somewhat true, most societies has accepted the cheap inferior Chineese products due to cost. Probably Ford has the hardware / software manuafactured over there.

:redcard:

I did work with Ford hand in hand for four years as Supplier Quality Engineer........and there is a big difference how suppliers are picked in Japanese vs Americans. Quality requirements for Americans are more stringent then Japanese or Europeans.

But Kirby looks like you have a lower expectation and go give your money to them.

I just hope it works out for me.

I did work with Ford hand in hand for four years as Supplier Quality Engineer........and there is a big difference how suppliers are picked in Japanese vs Americans. Quality requirements for Americans are more stringent then Japanese or Europeans.

But Kirby looks like you have a lower expectation and go give your money to them.

I cannot believe someone would praise Toyota after so many recalls and safety issues. I find designs of Japanese and European cars very outdated except few like Audi's and Volvo's. I've mine 09 LTD AWD for 2 years now and had no problem except PTU seals repaired under warranty. My Brother in low has Toyota Camry and had to replace the whole engine from bolt falling in, while changing oil at Mr. Lube. My uncle has 09 Corolla and just 2 weeks ago the car accelerates at stop lights while waiting for green. He had to step on the breaks very hard to avoid accident. After that the dealer sad they've never heard of that happening. He had to wright detailed letter to Toyota head office here in Ontario and explain how it happened. I truly believe the Japanese car makers had it good for too long now and they are cutting corners in production.

I do not expect any vehicle I purchase to ever be 100% defect free regardless of how much I spend. I do expect that the problems are fixed promptly and correctly and that there aren't too many of them and they don't repeat over and over.

Expecting 100% perfection from any consumer product is simply asking to be disappointed.

Thinking that you'll actually get it from Honda or Toyota is fallacy.

But whatever makes you happy........

Looked at it myself today, that is not tape shim...that is metal. Dealer though orderedme a new one, but when I was looking at it, I was able to put it back in place.....but compared to the driver side A-pillar, passanger side is severly warped.

All I am saying is when you spend so much money and obvious things likes this are very frustrating.

Well on Thursday I took some pictures of the defective A-pillar and send it directly to Mr. Allan Mulally (President of Ford) and today in the morning I had a voicemail on my cell phone stating that the new A-pillar is already deliverd at the dealership and they have already spoken to the service department and I can take there and it will immediately taken care of. And if I stilll have problems then guy left me his cell phone no. to call.

NOW THAT IS SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF AND NEVER RECEIVED....................WAY TO GO FORD :)

Well on Thursday I took some pictures of the defective A-pillar and send it directly to Mr. Allan Mulally (President of Ford) and today in the morning I had a voicemail on my cell phone stating that the new A-pillar is already deliverd at the dealership and they have already spoken to the service department and I can take there and it will immediately taken care of. And if I stilll have problems then guy left me his cell phone no. to call.

NOW THAT IS SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF AND NEVER RECEIVED....................WAY TO GO FORD :)

Great, but didn't the dealer already order a new one for you?

Ok listen, prior to owning my '11 Edge Sport, I owned 2 BMW's. Both BMW's had minor trim issues which were fixed promptly. Then, my '07 X5 spent one month in the shop because the engine light came on and wouldn't go off. They literally tore the engine apart (not once but twice) trying to figure it out. They never did figure it out. After putting everything back together, the light simply went off. I was compensated for the inconvenience (3X/monthly payment) but this only goes to show that even a $60K, precision built auto, can have issues.

I love the Edge. I was laid off from my job, and needed to "downsize". The last Ford I owned was a new 1998 Explorer. Ford has come a very long way and I am very impressed with the quality. I was hesitant at first, and don't really miss the X5 much at all.

Ok listen, prior to owning my '11 Edge Sport, I owned 2 BMW's. Both BMW's had minor trim issues which were fixed promptly. Then, my '07 X5 spent one month in the shop because the engine light came on and wouldn't go off. They literally tore the engine apart (not once but twice) trying to figure it out. They never did figure it out. After putting everything back together, the light simply went off. I was compensated for the inconvenience (3X/monthly payment) but this only goes to show that even a $60K, precision built auto, can have issues.

I love the Edge. I was laid off from my job, and needed to "downsize". The last Ford I owned was a new 1998 Explorer. Ford has come a very long way and I am very impressed with the quality. I was hesitant at first, and don't really miss the X5 much at all.

No way, Larry. Don't you know expensive cars never have problems? They're always perfect, especially the imports. [/sarcasm]

Sorry, k1200rsport but this could have been handled oh so easily without all the drama.

"hey service mgr - come look at this loose trim piece"

"yeah that's no good. we'll order a new one no problem."

"hey - the part is here. drop it off and we'll fix it."

"here you go. sorry you had that problem."

Happens every day.

No way, Larry. Don't you know expensive cars never have problems? They're always perfect, especially the imports. [/sarcasm]

Sorry, k1200rsport but this could have been handled oh so easily without all the drama.

"hey service mgr - come look at this loose trim piece"

"yeah that's no good. we'll order a new one no problem."

"hey - the part is here. drop it off and we'll fix it."

"here you go. sorry you had that problem."

Happens every day.

LALarry, Actually BMW quality has worsened thru the years and I think BMW is no longer in top 5 for quality. My fried has a 05 X5 and it is in shop every couple of months for some light coming on.

akirby, yes I could have handled differently, but 1st I was bummed out due to the issue, I guess as I am getting older I am becoming perfectionist. I took it to the dealer and they said they will order but never gave me a ticket for it. When I called later to check it wasn't ordered. And maybe they did order and Ford just made sure it got there. I had a bad experince with my Nitro, it had a leak and it took them about 3.5 months to get the part to fix the leak. Sometimes when the cars are new replacement parts are usually dealer direct. I just wanted to avid that.

I don't question dealer service because they are good in what they do both sales and service, thats why I went and got an Edge and didnt look elsewhere.