Replace ecm

d3ky

Have a 2008 Edge SEL with 66,000 miles....great vehicle until a few days ago. It started running rough and engine light came on. Code pointed out "cylinder 2 misfire". Upon investigation, the coil pack was basically melted in the cylinder. Since that was option one, replaced the coil pack and after a half mile test drive, same thing. Bottom line, no engine issues, new plugs were installed the first go-round, and all that is left is the ecm.

Any ideas? Perhaps the driver in the controller is causing the extreme heat in the coil pack? So far, only found 6 ecm's in the US total. Has anyone else had this issue; is this a wide-spread issue?

• 2 months later...

Have a 2008 Edge SEL with 66,000 miles....great vehicle until a few days ago. It started running rough and engine light came on. Code pointed out "cylinder 2 misfire". Upon investigation, the coil pack was basically melted in the cylinder. Since that was option one, replaced the coil pack and after a half mile test drive, same thing. Bottom line, no engine issues, new plugs were installed the first go-round, and all that is left is the ecm.

Any ideas? Perhaps the driver in the controller is causing the extreme heat in the coil pack? So far, only found 6 ecm's in the US total. Has anyone else had this issue; is this a wide-spread issue?

D3ky I would like to know how you resolved this issue. I have a 2007 with 80,000 miles and I am expierencing the same problems you describe. I contacted Ford dealer explaining my problem and asked if they have seen this before. He said they had one in the shop as we spoke with the same issue. They had replaced all of the COP Coils, spark plugs and the PCM for a total price at just over $2000.00. The mechanic said the PCM turns each coil pack on/off. Seems the PCM malfunctions and keeps the COP coil in the " on " position thus overheating it and utimately melting the COP coil.

• 4 weeks later...

D3ky I would like to know how you resolved this issue. I have a 2007 with 80,000 miles and I am expierencing the same problems you describe. I contacted Ford dealer explaining my problem and asked if they have seen this before. He said they had one in the shop as we spoke with the same issue. They had replaced all of the COP Coils, spark plugs and the PCM for a total price at just over $2000.00. The mechanic said the PCM turns each coil pack on/off. Seems the PCM malfunctions and keeps the COP coil in the " on " position thus overheating it and utimately melting the COP coil.

Bump..Anyone

• 2 months later...

Bump..Anyone

I have a 2008 ford edge 3.5 v6,hade a coil go out lost power on I-95 took to a dealer 200 miles from home,rented a car to get home 1 week later my vehicle was ready. My bill was 1071.50 The seavice tech. said ford said to raplace all 6 coils,the pcm was warrenty, the coils they said is not covered. My complaint is if the pcm caused this problem the whole bill should have been at FORD;s expence, they do not want to help me, this edge only has only 52000 milies.

I have a 2008 ford edge 3.5 v6,hade a coil go out lost power on I-95 took to a dealer 200 miles from home,rented a car to get home 1 week later my vehicle was ready. My bill was 1071.50 The seavice tech. said ford said to raplace all 6 coils,the pcm was warrenty, the coils they said is not covered. My complaint is if the pcm caused this problem the whole bill should have been at FORD;s expence, they do not want to help me, this edge only has only 52000 milies.

Lawyer up with one that specializes in warranty claims and lemon laws.

There have been reports of the PCM burning up the coils. If the dealer won't help try Ford directly and explain that the PCM caused the coils to go bad (no other reasonable explanation i can think of). If that doesn't work talk to your local dealer and have them check with Ford. I wouldn't bother with an attorney - just take them to small claims court if that's possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus that I bought used in Feb of 2011. With 48,000 miles on it, I had the same problem.....sudden loss of power & hard misfire. Took it to a local mechanic. They worked on it, said "It's running better but still missing a bit). It ran the same as when I had taken it in. (money I paid was later refunded) I drove it about 6 miles to Grapevine Ford (Texas) to have the PCM "flashed". Turns out it was the PCM that was defective and had toasted all the coils. I am now a die-hard FORD fan! I was told that my Edge was still under the 80,000 mile powertrain warranty and they replaced the PCM, coils & plugs at no charge. I paid for a fuel injector flush ($300). A day after I got the car back the "check engine" light came on again. The PCM problem had caused the catalytic converter to fail & was also replaced under warranty. I will be a lifelong customer of Ford at this point!!

I have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus that I bought used in Feb of 2011. With 48,000 miles on it, I had the same problem.....sudden loss of power & hard misfire. Took it to a local mechanic. They worked on it, said "It's running better but still missing a bit). It ran the same as when I had taken it in. (money I paid was later refunded) I drove it about 6 miles to Grapevine Ford (Texas) to have the PCM "flashed". Turns out it was the PCM that was defective and had toasted all the coils. I am now a die-hard FORD fan! I was told that my Edge was still under the 80,000 mile powertrain warranty and they replaced the PCM, coils & plugs at no charge. I paid for a fuel injector flush ($300). A day after I got the car back the "check engine" light came on again. The PCM problem had caused the catalytic converter to fail & was also replaced under warranty. I will be a lifelong customer of Ford at this point!!

That's great but I wouldn't be a fan of that dealership any more. You probably didn't need a fuel injector flush and if you did it shouldn't have cost $300.

• 2 months later...

It's nice to see this problem is getting straightened out now. I was totally in the dark when my PCM went out.Yes this problem is covered under the 80,000 mile powertrain warrenty. The dealer replaced all of my COP's, spark plugs and new PCM at no cost to me. I barely made the 80,000 mile mark as my Edge pulled into the dealer with 79,820 miles on it. My check engine light also came on after the work was done throwing a convertor code / O2 code. The dealer said this was not related to the PCM issue. Check engine light is still on.Edge runs fine.

It's nice to see this problem is getting straightened out now. I was totally in the dark when my PCM went out.Yes this problem is covered under the 80,000 mile powertrain warrenty. The dealer replaced all of my COP's, spark plugs and new PCM at no cost to me. I barely made the 80,000 mile mark as my Edge pulled into the dealer with 79,820 miles on it. My check engine light also came on after the work was done throwing a convertor code / O2 code. The dealer said this was not related to the PCM issue. Check engine light is still on.Edge runs fine.

• 9 months later...

I also have this issue with my 07 edge. This car is only melting one coil on one cylinder. I replaced it along with the plugs and then drove it about 5 miles. Of course it melted the 100 dollar coil pack that I installed. Then to top it all off, now my car will not even run. I am wondering if this can be the ecm has completely stopped working on the firing order. Seems ford has alot of issues with many different vehichles. I also have the f150 with all the issues that come with the 5.4 . I just happened to purchased two of the lemons out of the ford factory. Bad thing is, I have been a ford man all my life. These types of issues can make a person start rethinking what to drive. Can anyone tell me when the recall came out on the edge?

• 2 weeks later...

This exact thing happened to my 2008 edge limited with roughly 67,000 miles on it less then a week after we bought it two months ago. It was still under warranty and was fixed by the dealer. A day after we got it back, the check engine light came on. I took it back again and this time it was both converters. They were replaced under warranty as well.

• 1 month later...

No longer own the 2007 Edge. The tranny went south and had to be totally rebuilt. The car didn't even have 60,000 miles on it, so was covered on the powertrain warranty. I'm just not keeping a car that keeps breaking down. Thank goodness I was not out of town when I had to have it towed for the THIRD time! I traded my Edge for a 2007 Honda CR-V. So long Ford.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We have a 2007 Edge SEL and it's at the dealership right now with the PCM issue. Roughly 60,000 miles on the car and the Check Engine light came on - error codes P0305 and P0356.

Local shop yesterday says $2500 to repair. Dealership is working on it today, and we have an Extended Warranty with CarMax. So those 2 can work out the cost side.

I drive a 2008 Toyota Tacoma, and our previous vehicles were a 2008 Sequoia and 1997 4Runner. Now she wishes she had bought another 4Runner instead of the Edge. Sometimes it's just better to stick with something you can rely on.

Edited by jeratbp