Transmission jerks at low speed

pbmitch

Have had our Edge for two weeks. Really enjoy this vehicle. Has anyone got any ideas why the transmission tends to jerk into gear at low speeds, like 5 mph or so, following a slight acceleration while already rolling. Very noticeable driving around parking lots or stop-and-go traffic at low speed, slowing down, but not stopping and then giving it a little gas.

Edited by pbmitch

There is a TSB out about the car trying to start in 4th gear and jumping down to 1st making a jerking motion. Check out the section on TSB's/recalls and find the number to take to your dealership to get it fixed.

I dont have this problem with my Edge.

There is a TSB out about the car trying to start in 4th gear and jumping down to 1st making a jerking motion. Check out the section on TSB's/recalls and find the number to take to your dealership to get it fixed.

I dont have this problem with my Edge.

Thanks for the TSB info. Will call the dealer next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I took it to the dealer this week, had the transmision tech drive with me, but could not get it to do it for him. Frustrating. He checked out the 7-5-2 TSB that I had printed out and brought along. He called Ford's Hot Line and was advised not to do any repairs at this time. His EEC test showed no error codes. I was advised just to watch things for a while.

I've read on this forum something about how the transmission has to learn your driving habits and adjust accordingly (?) Don't know if I understood this correctly, but I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with it. If anyone knows more let us know. I tried flooring the gas from a stop today to see if I could "teach" the transmission to smooth things out. After that, it stopped jerking. Don't know if it worked. I'll watch it over the next few days and report back here. I'm also wondering if increasing the warm engine idle a bit would help. Anyone know what the Edge's warm idle rpm's should be?

It would be great if Ford sees this problem enough that they could issue a resolution to the dealer technicians. Other than this issue, I'm very pleased with my Edge.

• 4 weeks later...

After having the dealer's master mechanic personally handling my concern over the rough engaging/jerking of the tranny in 1st gear, I've been assured that there is nothing wrong with the tranny, that is, no error codes(EEC) are coming up. He even did a tranny pressure test driving the Edge for two miles in 1st gear to see if an error code came up, as recommended by Ford's tech support. No codes came up. He also checked that the build date of the tranny was after the 1-10-07 date, so Ford's TSB 7-5-2 relating to harsh engagement was not the answer.

The master mechanic believes that what's occuring is that the new six speed trannys try to get the car in higher gears as quickly as possible to be more fuel efficient, and when creeping the vehicle may already be in second or third so I don't always feel the jerk associated with the very low 1st gear. But, sometimes the tranny may slip into 1st when under 5 mph and that's when the jerk is felt; specially in stop-n-go traffic or parking lots.

Sounds very possible to me. Anyone have similar feedback from their dealer's mechanic on this issue?

A couple of times at slow speeds (usually traffic), I might be accelerating and have to break just as the gear shift is happening.

When I then hit the accelerator, it can make a hard shift. I sum it up it a simple way; the transmission seems to stumble a bit.

Not a major issue but I think as previously said, with there being six speeds, the chance for this to happen will be greater.

However, I have never had a bad shift without some influence from me by having to change the accelerator position (either much greater or much less) during a shift.

My tranny used to clunk when not in operating temp. One day I was on the highway and i was slowing down and heard a moaning noise coming from somewhere. I drove another 5 miles on regular roads and when I stopped, I smelled something burnt and weird smelling. since then, no problems and my tranny deosnt clunk anymore when cold. Weird.

I wonder if anybody here has checked any GM forums about jerking on their 6 spd automatics. It's the same transmission. The only thing different between GM and Ford is the software. IF GM's are jerking at low speeds also I'd be concerned about engineering and manufacturing issues. If GM's aren't jerking then Ford had better get their software programmers working overtime.

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...