Ford Edge Ecoboost engine

I am considering to buy Ford Edge.

Recently I have heard that Ford is planning to introduce a new engine for the Edge - EcoBoost.

Could anyone help me with the following questions:

When are they going to release this model to the market ?

Would it be wise if I postpone the purchase until this model will be released ?

What are the principal advantages of the Ecoboost compare with the current engines ?

Is it much more economical in terms of MPG ?

Does Ford also plan to introduce at some point a hybrid engine for the Ford Edge ?

Thank you,

Jack

I am considering to buy Ford Edge.

Recently I have heard that Ford is planning to introduce a new engine for the Edge - EcoBoost.

Could anyone help me with the following questions:

When are they going to release this model to the market ?

Would it be wise if I postpone the purchase until this model will be released ?

What are the principal advantages of the Ecoboost compare with the current engines ?

Is it much more economical in terms of MPG ?

Does Ford also plan to introduce at some point a hybrid engine for the Ford Edge ?

Thank you,

Jack

It's a 2.0L ecoboost engine (direct injection turbo). It's supposed to provide adequate power in the 240 hp range while delivering better mpg. They haven't released the exact numbers but it will be a $750 upgrade (or thereabouts). I think it will be pushing to get more than 3 mpg better than the current 3.5L engine.

Personally I wouldn't wait unless you're obsessed with getting maximum fuel mileage and don't mind paying extra for it up front. I've also heard it doesn't drive as well. It won't be released until summer or late fall.

I suspect it will be a very poor seller. I also suspect the real world fuel improvement will be very small, if any. Especially if it has to run on premium for optimum efficiency (like the Flex) and the cost of premium is factored in. Another question will be passing power. If you have to do a lot of two lane driving, passing power is (IMHOP) a very important factor because I believe and was taught that one should spend a minimum of time in the wrong lane (I know LEO's disagree since it seems to be one of the common ticketing practices), The current motor and drive train on the Edge is good in this respect. I have to wonder how effective the 4C ecoboost will be.

I prefer 3.5L over 4 Cyl. Ecoboost anyday. Usually Turbos require more maintenance and the MPG advantage is yet to be seen.

Not to compare it with Mazda CX7 (2.3L turbo) but is very close, MPG is lower then 3.5L V6

Ford's ecoboost engines are much more efficient than Mazda's turbos so that's not a good comparison. We don't have numbers on the 2.0L ecoboost yet but here is a comparison of the 3.5L in the Flex with and without ecoboost:

Without - 16/22 (268 hp)

With - 16/21 (365 hp)

Or you can compare the 3.5L Ecoboost in the F150 to the 6.2L:

3.5L EB 16/22

6.2L 13/18

I don't think the 2.0L EB will be as efficient in the Edge but where the current 3.5L gets 19/27, I'd expect the 2.0L to come in around 22/29.

Ecoboost, an easy way to boost horsepower with smaller engines but when the warranty runs out, beware the maintenance costs of that turbo. Reliability is greater than a few years ago but if something does go wrong, get your dollars ready.

The exact reason I avoided the turbo in my wife BMW Z4. Normally aspirated engines are easier to maintain. Just my opinion with a lot years of hot rodding in my past.

Ecoboost, an easy way to boost horsepower with smaller engines but when the warranty runs out, beware the maintenance costs of that turbo. Reliability is greater than a few years ago but if something does go wrong, get your dollars ready.

The exact reason I avoided the turbo in my wife BMW Z4. Normally aspirated engines are easier to maintain. Just my opinion with a lot years of hot rodding in my past.

Of course anything can break, but you might want to do a google search for "F150 ecoboost torture test" and see how that ecoboost engine fared. Pretty impressive if you ask me. I don't have any qualms about the reliability of any Ford ecoboost engine but if you did have a problem it probably would be more expensive.

Of course anything can break, but you might want to do a google search for "F150 ecoboost torture test" and see how that ecoboost engine fared. Pretty impressive if you ask me. I don't have any qualms about the reliability of any Ford ecoboost engine but if you did have a problem it probably would be more expensive.

Hugely impressive! 100k simulated miles on the dyno then the real torture began.

Don't know the exact savings mpg wise, but remember one thing - with the Ecoboost engine, you can only get FWD, N O T AWD.

Joe

I have heard about that, interesting.

Does anyone know why Ecoboost can not come with AWD ?

Is it the same with all car vendors with Turbo engines ?

Thank you

I have heard about that, interesting.

Does anyone know why Ecoboost can not come with AWD ?

Is it the same with all car vendors with Turbo engines ?

Thank you

Not a technical issue - the 3.5L ecoboost vehicles are either offered with AWD/4WD or come standard with it.

Either they didn't like the performance of the 2.0L ecoboost with AWD or since they're selling it based on fuel economy they want the highest possible MPG and that excludes AWD.

I'm sure it will eventually be offered.

Not a technical issue - the 3.5L ecoboost vehicles are either offered with AWD/4WD or come standard with it.

Either they didn't like the performance of the 2.0L ecoboost with AWD or since they're selling it based on fuel economy they want the highest possible MPG and that excludes AWD.

I'm sure it will eventually be offered.

So now Ford only ofer for Edge the Ecoboost for FWD ?

Sorry if it might be a naive question, but why should one prefer AWD over FWD ?

With FWD only the front wheels get power and you can get stuck in mud or snow. AWD sends power to all 4 wheels so you don't get stuck.

If you don't already have AWD or 4WD and you don't get stuck, you don't need it.

Thank you, thr answers here are very helpfull.

Mai I ask more questions:

1) MKS - I understand that this is another model from Ford and it is maybe similiar to the Edge, ehat is the differences between Edge and MKS and what are the considerations to prefer one over the other ?

2) MPG - my impresion is that the Edge considered and a gas heavy consumed vechile, Does it rerally so compare with other cars in the category (such as: Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, ..) ?

1) MKS - I understand that this is another model from Ford and it is maybe similiar to the Edge, ehat is the differences between Edge and MKS and what are the considerations to prefer one over the other ?

You're thinking of the MKX. It's the same basic vehicle but the MKX gets different front and rear styling, a different interior and some exclusive features like cooled seats, THX audio. The MKX is also a bit quieter and the standard engine is larger.

2) MPG - my impresion is that the Edge considered and a gas heavy consumed vechile, Does it rerally so compare with other cars in the category (such as: Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, ..) ?

You can compare them yourself as http://www.fueleconomy.gov .

Thank you, it is an excellent website.

I am planning to buy the Edge for my wife which until now drives RAV-4 , she isniot drivinig much and mostly she drived inside town. I have compared and found that the cost for petrol would not be significiant between the Edge and the RAV-4.

Could you tell anything about the reliability of the Edge ?

With FWD only the front wheels get power and you can get stuck in mud or snow. AWD sends power to all 4 wheels so you don't get stuck.

If you don't already have AWD or 4WD and you don't get stuck, you don't need it.

As I understand it, ANY wheel slip detected on the Front wheels will cause the AWD system to send power to the rear wheels. So, at low speeds, if you get stuck, this will get you out (as you pointed out)

Also, cornering in the wet will be improved as you will get AWD traction if the Front wheel slips (a tire has only so much grip to counteract accelerative forces.)

It's a 2.0L ecoboost engine (direct injection turbo). It's supposed to provide adequate power in the 240 hp range while delivering better mpg. They haven't released the exact numbers but it will be a $750 upgrade (or thereabouts). I think it will be pushing to get more than 3 mpg better than the current 3.5L engine.

Personally I wouldn't wait unless you're obsessed with getting maximum fuel mileage and don't mind paying extra for it up front. I've also heard it doesn't drive as well. It won't be released until summer or late fall.

Isn't it supposed to provide "similar HP and Torque values" while giving nearly 30mpg highway?

edit: youre right: Seems like the engine produces ~240HP in other cars, but might be tuned differently in Edge duty. But I've seem estimates of 30MPG highway or about 7MPG improvement.

Edited by cal3thousand

Isn't it supposed to provide "similar HP and Torque values" while giving nearly 30mpg highway?

edit: youre right: Seems like the engine produces ~240HP in other cars, but might be tuned differently in Edge duty. But I've seem estimates of 30MPG highway or about 7MPG improvement.

30 mpg was the target but I heard they were coming up short which is probably part of the reason for the delay.