Using usb drive or sd card for music?

I've not got an Edge yet, I'm still looking for the best model/deal but it will be an SEL so no HD Radio but will have MFT/Sync.

Thinking that rather than connecting my iphone every time I get in the car, or running the battery draining bluetooth I may want to just use a usb drive or SD card for music.

I don't buy a lot of new music so my collection would be fairly static.

Is MP3 the only format supported? Any limitation to bitrate, etc?

Any limitation to format or size of usb or sd card?

Thanks all.

I've not got an Edge yet, I'm still looking for the best model/deal but it will be an SEL so no HD Radio but will have MFT/Sync.

Thinking that rather than connecting my iphone every time I get in the car, or running the battery draining bluetooth I may want to just use a usb drive or SD card for music.

Thanks all.

www.syncmyride.com

www.motorcraftservice.com -> owner guides you can get both the owner's manual and the MFT/sync supplements online. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.

I'm using a 32gb SD card...about half full but contains all my music. Works great.

• 2 months later...

Instead of making a new thread I'll just add to this one.

I have a SD card issue. I inserted my SD card. Then i switched to other music sources. But every time I turn on the car again it always goes to the SD card and starts playing, instead of using the last source i was using. Any way to change this? I had to take my SD card out..

I have a SD card issue. I inserted my SD card. Then i switched to other music sources. But every time I turn on the car again it always goes to the SD card and starts playing, instead of using the last source i was using. Any way to change this? I had to take my SD card out..

I think I found the answer, so posting for other people:

Media Player Settings: Select to access:

• Autoplay on/off: With this feature on, the system will

automatically switch to the media source upon intial connection

and you can listen to music which has already been randomly

indexed during the indexing process. With this feature off, the

system will not automatically switch to the inserted media source.

I think v2.8 of Sync addressed this issue. Don't quote me on it though.

• 3 years later...

You sure do

Do you get the same features such as gracenote and album artwork using the SD card for music Versus a USB device?

I believe so. They're just mp3 files stored externally either way.

You sure do! :) Just make sure that the files are in one of our supported formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, or AAC.

Rebecca

Thanks!

Another question, Whats the best way to get the music onto the flash drive, drag and drop through explorer or is there a good way to import from itunes onto the flash drive??

The MP3 filenames are a little jacked up and they are much better organized in itunes....