MFT v2.7 update

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, the report tells me that is still 2.4, in fact, I have read the XML file and there is no difference with what it was before taking the car in... chatted with support and they confirmed the same... is my dealer insulting my intelligence?

If you look at the history, you should see what the dealer was doing (if anything) on the date you took the car in....

click on "View confirmed installs" then "view your Sync history"

I did, and also checked the XML file itself of what was installed on the console.... can you post what is installed in yours after 2.7 was installed so I can tell my dealer to stop kidding and check correctly those numbers?

Ā 

Do you know what else fixes? does it fell any faster?

Ā 

Thanks

I don't notice anything major in 2.7 The buttons to the heated seats (and others) may be a bit more responsive. BT Audio works better.

On 3/24 Mine was updated and the history shows the process (see attached)

post-9129-031328400 1301339167_thumb.gif

post-9129-022052900 1301339191_thumb.jpg

We just had ours updated today, my navigation is gone, tavel link and rear camera are gone too. im very upset!

Ā 

It is absolutely ridiculous that they are still doing this, I cannot believe Ford is not training the dealers better and giving them a checklist to make sure everything is working like it should. My dealer did the same thing to mine back in December when they upgraded mine to 2.4. Fortunately I caught it before I left and they fixed it. If the dealer will call Ford they will walk him through the process.

Edited by curlysir

It is absolutely ridiculous that they are still doing this, I cannot believe Ford is not training the dealers better and giving them a checklist to make sure everything is working like it should.

Ā 

What "training" do they need to make sure the navigation still works after they reprogram it? It's not rocket science. It's poor dealer service - period.

What "training" do they need to make sure the navigation still works after they reprogram it? It's not rocket science. It's poor dealer service - period.

Ā 

Training them to do the update right the first time, It is obvious to me that some of the Techs are missing something when they do the upgrade and training to check your work after it is done. When the Tech did mine I had to remind him to check the Nav system and sure enough it was not working and as I was about to drive off the Tech came running up and told me he needed to run a screen calibration. He had just talked to the Ford guy at the factory or wherever he is and found out he needed to calibrate the screen after the update. To me that is lack of training either from From or the dealer. Ford should develop a procedure that is part of the upgrade that includes checking all items that should be working before turning over to the customer..

Edited by curlysir

Training them to do the update right the first time, It is obvious to me that some of the Techs are missing something when they do the upgrade and training to check your work after it is done. When the Tech did mine I had to remind him to check the Nav system and sure enough it was not working and as I was about to drive off the Tech came running up and told me he needed to run a screen calibration. He had just talked to the Ford guy at the factory or wherever he is and found out he needed to calibrate the screen after the update. To me that is lack of training either from From or the dealer. Ford should develop a procedure that is part of the upgrade that includes checking all items that should be working before turning over to the customer..

Ā 

You can't blame Ford for dealer incompetence. Ford provides the information but they can't force the techs to learn it or to follow the procedures.

You can't blame Ford for dealer incompetence. Ford provides the information but they can't force the techs to learn it or to follow the procedures.

Ford does have the power to require the service department to be knowledgeable with Touch systems. If the tech can't pass a test then pull the dealership's access to the Oasis system.

Ā 

Of course this would not be such a big issue if Ford designed the system so the idiots could update it without bricking it.

Yes they can force them by revoking their right to sell a car if they don't have enough certified techs to service what they sell. Because is not like you can go directly to Ford by skipping the dealer if you don't like him or trust him. The dealer is as far as you can go into get your car fixed, so by all means, the dealer is Ford itself for the client who have no other option if a problem happens.

You guys have me worried. My Edge is enroute to the dealer right now to get this update via the wife who is doing me a favor. I haven't had any problems yet with the service department at my dealership so I am going at this optimistically, but I did give her a short list of things to verify if they were working before she leaves based on this thread. I'll report back good or bad when the update is finished.

Ford does have the power to require the service department to be knowledgeable with Touch systems. If the tech can't pass a test then pull the dealership's access to the Oasis system.

Ā 

Of course this would not be such a big issue if Ford designed the system so the idiots could update it without bricking it.

Ā 

I agree that Ford should have made the update procedure more idiot proof. But I deal with large IT projects every day and no matter how much you try to prepare the users there will always be some that either refuse to do the training or simply don't get it so I don't fault Ford for some of the dealer's who are still having problems.

Ā 

I think this is simply a new area for most dealers and their employees just aren't tech savvy enough. Ford also doesn't control the dealership's internet connection - some may still be low speed and/or unreliable. Ford told the dealers they needed to order a USB cable to do the updates and most apparently did not. You can lead the horse to water...........

Ā 

And outside of tech certification I don't think there is much Ford can do about it due to state franchise laws.

OK, so my wife just called to say that they completed the update to 2.7 on my Edge. Car was there just over an hour. That it is running 2.7 is confirmed via me checking the syncmyride web site, so that is good. She has confirmed that the navigation works, that is good. Travel-link is still there. Backup camera is working. She is already reporting that system response time to button presses is noticeably improved, especially the seat heaters, which is good now that it's springtime. :-)

Ā 

Losses during the upgrade: My free trial to Sirius music is gone, but from what the dealership told her that should be nothing more than a phone call to have them re-activate it. Navigation favorites are all gone which we expected. Going forward I will be less OCD on transferring all those over until it looks like there will be no more upgrades for a while, lesson learned there but I can live with that. All phone pairings are gone but that is not a big deal either.

Ā 

Once I get my hands on it tonight I will post additional comments (positive and negative). But so far so good, and they do in fact seem to be correcting things.

Ā 

Update: One quick call to Sirius and a provided vehicle VIN number and the radio is working again already. So far so good on this update...

Edited by viper001

OK, so my wife just called to say that they completed the update to 2.7 on my Edge. Car was there just over an hour. That it is running 2.7 is confirmed via me checking the syncmyride web site, so that is good. She has confirmed that the navigation works, that is good. Travel-link is still there. Backup camera is working. She is already reporting that system response time to button presses is noticeably improved, especially the seat heaters, which is good now that it's springtime. :-)

Ā 

Losses during the upgrade: My free trial to Sirius music is gone, but from what the dealership told her that should be nothing more than a phone call to have them re-activate it. Navigation favorites are all gone which we expected. Going forward I will be less OCD on transferring all those over until it looks like there will be no more upgrades for a while, lesson learned there but I can live with that. All phone pairings are gone but that is not a big deal either.

Ā 

Once I get my hands on it tonight I will post additional comments (positive and negative). But so far so good, and they do in fact seem to be correcting things.

Ā 

Update: One quick call to Sirius and a provided vehicle VIN number and the radio is working again already. So far so good on this update...

Viper my findings are pretty much the same. I hope they resolve the "Adding emergency contacts"" on the 911 screen issue on the next upgrade. Overall I see a big improvement from the initial system back in September

Viper my findings are pretty much the same. I hope they resolve the "Adding emergency contacts"" on the 911 screen issue on the next upgrade. Overall I see a big improvement from the initial system back in September

Tom, can I ask what the 911 issue is? I know I put 2 contacts in there when I first got the car, and about a month later I checked and they were cleared out. I assumed it was caused when my phone lost it's pairing with the system, which only happened one time when I was on a call with SYNC Services. Otherwise I haven't seen any problems (although obviously until I have a serious wreck I guess I wouldn't really know whether it is working or not).

Tom, can I ask what the 911 issue is? I know I put 2 contacts in there when I first got the car, and about a month later I checked and they were cleared out. I assumed it was caused when my phone lost it's pairing with the system, which only happened one time when I was on a call with SYNC Services. Otherwise I haven't seen any problems (although obviously until I have a serious wreck I guess I wouldn't really know whether it is working or not).

Ā 

When choosing which contacts to add from the phone book it only shows the first few entries under each alpha category. IE: under A-F it may only show thy "A" entries, Under G through M only the G named entries, etc Without seeing it I am not exactly sure how the phone book is broken down but it will not allow you to scroll through your contact list

Hope it makes sense to you

I hear so many stories about techs and service, that I wonder if they actually know anything about computers.... is Sync Touch too much for these technicians? I mean.... ho hard can be to update a computer? How can they have people working doing that without being certified first that they can do it?

Ā 

When they updated my system they did it just outside the shop and I was able to observe from an outdoor waiting area. I am confident that I could (with some basic training about their systems) do the update as well as if not better then the tech. I build and mess with computers as a hobby so I may have more computer savvy then some but from what I saw I don't think it is that complicated to update the system. But you do have to have minimal knowledge and the DESIRE to do the job right. I did get to talk to the tech that did mine and I think he has the knowledge and desire but I don't believe that he was getting enough information and direction from Ford about the procedure and what it was actually supposed to do. I agree that Ford and the dealer need to get together and provide training that leads to certification for their tech. There is too much variation in the updates being reported here, some are getting it done in less then 2 hours and some are taking days.