V6 or Ecoboost?

tmuenster

Which engine would you get?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the Eco Boost option or 3.5 V6?

• Eco Boost
    • 3.5l V6

Turbo chargers are a good way of getting power that you don't really have. The Eco boost will give a 4 banger the power of a 6. But, In my opinion, I think it will shorten the lifespan of the 4 cylinder.

I'll stick with the conventional 6cyl. My 11 limited has no problem getting up to speed

(I may think differently if they were putting a 6cyl Eco boost in the edge)

I am seriously considering a Ford Edge for my next ride. However, I am not sure if I sould get the V6 or wait until the EcoBoost comes out. I do a lot of highway driving so the extra fuel economy would be great. I am also planning to get the AWD.

What woud you get and why?

Seems odd to be considering AWD when you're concerned about highway fuel economy. Why not just stick to a V6 FWD? As mentioned above the Ecoboost will be FWD only.

The shorter life of the turbo'd 4 isn't correct IMO. I have a 95 Dodge Cummins turbo with 300K miles with still plenty of life in it. When things are designed with a turbo or SC they can live a very long life its when you do things they weren't designed for is when you run to trouble. Also when was the last time you heard about a car/truck with a wore out motor? Most times its the tyranny or just the car is flat out wore out, not to often is it the motor. I'd bet a lot of newer cars can get 200k out of the motor np. I also have a 2000 f150 with 160k and the motor is the last things I'm worried about.

Seems odd to be considering AWD when you're concerned about highway fuel economy. Why not just stick to a V6 FWD? As mentioned above the Ecoboost will be FWD only.

I live in South Dakota and frequently travel with my job. I would like the added grip of the AWD but I am trying to also balance that with good fuel economy.

I am leaning towards the V6 since I think it will require less maintenance in the long run. I put 130k miles on my '08 VW Touareg V10 TDI and realized the maintenace could get expensive with a twin turbo. I also have a boat that I pull a few times a year. All in all, I think the V6 will be a good fit.

Thanks,

Tom