Towing Question

JP636

New to the forum and have a question:

I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge. I have a hitch on it, but not the class II towing package. The specs show that it can tow a trailer with a 200 lb tongue weight and up to 2,000 lbs. I cannot find the specs on my trailer, but it is a run-of-the-mill 4X8 utility trailer with wood flooring. I did not see any stickers on it giving the weight of it. I may be going on a 2000 mile round trip this year and want to pull the trailer with a sportbike on it. What are your opinions? I think this trailer probably weighs around 500 lbs, but I'm not sure. And what do ya'll think is the tongue weight? I've emailed the trailer manufacturer asking what the specs are.

New to the forum and have a question:

I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge. I have a hitch on it, but not the class II towing package. The specs show that it can tow a trailer with a 200 lb tongue weight and up to 2,000 lbs. I cannot find the specs on my trailer, but it is a run-of-the-mill 4X8 utility trailer with wood flooring. I did not see any stickers on it giving the weight of it. I may be going on a 2000 mile round trip this year and want to pull the trailer with a sportbike on it. What are your opinions? I think this trailer probably weighs around 500 lbs, but I'm not sure. And what do ya'll think is the tongue weight? I've emailed the trailer manufacturer asking what the specs are.

I own a Kendon Dual motorcycle trailer. With the 2007 AWD Edge with the trailer package from Ford we pulled the trailer loaded with an Yamaha FZ1 and a Honda 599 out to CO from MI when we moved out here. It did just fine, in fact I typically tow that same trailer with two Honda XR650R's out to trail heads in CO going up mountains in my Ford Focus ST....so not sure why your worried about the Edge, it handles it with no problems. Although fuel mileage will go down of course. Once with that same 2007 Edge I picked up 4 rental ATV's with trailer and hauled them out to a trail, now that was a lot of weight and the car was fine the 10 miles I needed to go...but I would not tow that much across country.

And as I am a motorcyclist too I will hassle you, you should be riding it not towing it...LOL Only time I towed was the move out here, otherwise I been all over the US on the motorcycle a lot funner then a cage.

Edited by modette

If you are really worried, you can take it to a truck stop and weigh the Edge and trailer. Then use the scale a second time to weigh the Edge alone. subtract the wieght of the Edge form the total weight and you'll have the weight of your trailer with nothing on it.

While I think you'll be fine for towing the bike, it probably wouldn't hurt to know the weight of the trailer so you can use it for towing other things in the future like trips to Home Depot or when you get roped into helping someone move.

I called a nearby Interstate truck stop and they said it would be $9 to weigh my edge and travel trailer. For less than $20 you can have some piece of mind.

I own a Kendon Dual motorcycle trailer. With the 2007 AWD Edge with the trailer package from Ford we pulled the trailer loaded with an Yamaha FZ1 and a Honda 599 out to CO from MI when we moved out here. It did just fine, in fact I typically tow that same trailer with two Honda XR650R's out to trail heads in CO going up mountains in my Ford Focus ST....so not sure why your worried about the Edge, it handles it with no problems. Although fuel mileage will go down of course. Once with that same 2007 Edge I picked up 4 rental ATV's with trailer and hauled them out to a trail, now that was a lot of weight and the car was fine the 10 miles I needed to go...but I would not tow that much across country.

And as I am a motorcyclist too I will hassle you, you should be riding it not towing it...LOL Only time I towed was the move out here, otherwise I been all over the US on the motorcycle a lot funner then a cage.

Believe me, I usually ride to all the good places. But this trip entails me driving from Texas to the Dragons Tail in western N Carolina. That's over 900 miles one way on a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R. I'd rather save my butt for the twisty mountains and drive out there!!

Believe me, I usually ride to all the good places. But this trip entails me driving from Texas to the Dragons Tail in western N Carolina. That's over 900 miles one way on a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R. I'd rather save my butt for the twisty mountains and drive out there!!

Yep i have passed through that area a few times on the bike and once in the car. I have always went during the week, so no other squids or pigs out and about. There are better twisty roads without all the hype and cops around. Just my .02

Wet weight: 432 lbs (taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_ZX-10R)

Is the trailer like this Harbor Frieght model:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-capacity-super-duty-48-inch-x-96-inch-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-five-lug-wheels-and-tires-94564.html

That only weights 162 lbs shipping weight, toss on a plywood floor and what not, lets say another 100 lbs for shits & giggles. Thats still only 262 lbs + 432 lbs for your bike = 694 lbs Total. You will be way under the towing capacity. Not sure what you are hauling inside, but I doubt you will hit the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight).

I post on many forums like ADVRider.com...but I typically hang out now at: http://www.motorcycle-database.com/

Edited by modette

• 1 month later...

4 X 8 trailer with a Sportbike sould be fine.

I concur. The Edge is primarily a front wheel drive vehicle, and as such, it is is probably unwise to tow big heavy things like 5th wheels and horse trailers up a high mountain pass. Nevertheless, a simple bike or utility trailer should be fine. Large RV campers though are probably not recommended.

• 5 weeks later...

I was informed by the dealer when I bought my 2010 Ford Edge that all Edges come with factory tranny oil coolers now. Is this true? I have not studied the front to see if there is one. I feel much better if a tranny cooler is present to tow anything- especially in the heat. Our 2007 Edge had the towing package and the tranny cooler was present for sure.

I was informed by the dealer when I bought my 2010 Ford Edge that all Edges come with factory tranny oil coolers now. Is this true? I have not studied the front to see if there is one. I feel much better if a tranny cooler is present to tow anything- especially in the heat. Our 2007 Edge had the towing package and the tranny cooler was present for sure.

Tranny cooler is part of the Class II tow package, not standard on 2011. Comes with larger Battery (Group 68 IIRC), larger radiator and cooling fan.