2007 Edge with DRL HID install (Canada)

Hi all.

I just wanted to share with you all that I recently installed two HID kits that I got from a local shop (Toronto) on my truck. The kits were both 35w digital ballasts with 6k H11 bulbs and I have to admit.....they look awesome!

What makes my install a little different than others I've seen here is that I've switched the DRL function from using the low beams, to use the fogs instead. This mod was actually quite simple with the use of a H11 relay harness.

The why:

I really wanted HIDs for the truck but didn't want to have the ghetto riced out look of HID DRL headlights during the day.

What I did:

LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS - I wired one relay harness to get power from the battery and ground from the body, connected the ballasts/lights for my low beams and connected the "trigger" contacts to the stock light socket for my FOG LIGHTS.

FOG LIGHTS - I then wired the second harness to get power from the battery and ground from the body, connected the ballasts/lights for my fog lights and connected the "trigger" contacts to the stock light socket for my LOW BEAM lights. I also added a capacitor to the relay to "bypass" the DRL function supplied by the low beam light sockets. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, YOU WILL GET LIGHT FLICKER.

Because I upgraded my LBs and FLs, I needed two kits, two relay harnesses and a capacitor. The harnesses bypass Fords "Smart Junction Box" so that it gets clean power from the battery. The relay built into the harness uses power from the stock light socket to close the relay and give power straight from the battery to the ballasts/lights.

The result:

Fog lights are now the DRLs and stay on all the time instead of the low beams.

The only "bad" thing about this setup is that the fog light setting on your headlight switch now controls the low beams. I just keep it in "Auto ON" with the fogs pulled and it's like nothing ever changed. :yup:

Edited by Edgely

• 1 month later...

While I agree that putting HID into a reflector housing is about the worst thing you can do, I have to say that comparing an H9 or HIR bulb to HID is far from accurate. I had an HIR conversion in my Jeep and compared to stock it was amazing but compared to HID it was like a mouse holding a candle. I really wish anyone doing HID would do projectors and stop thinking it's OK to put HID systems into stock reflector housings...

While I agree that putting HID into a reflector housing is about the worst thing you can do, I have to say that comparing an H9 or HIR bulb to HID is far from accurate. I had an HIR conversion in my Jeep and compared to stock it was amazing but compared to HID it was like a mouse holding a candle. I really wish anyone doing HID would do projectors and stop thinking it's OK to put HID systems into stock reflector housings...

I was under the impression that the Edge headlights took the HID's very well with a sharp cut-off. I tried hid's in my old Mazda Protege but it was horrible and had to switch back to halogen. I would gladly purchase projector headlights if someone made them (anyone?). I have stock HID's in my Mazdaspeed3 and the light output and cutoff is amazing. I'm hoping to achieve similar results with the Edge.

If we are limiting our conversation to HID light output consistant with North American legal limits (Europe allows slightly brighter HID's), and the output of H9's and HIR bulbs (9011), then the difference in output levels is not that great. The major difference is that most HID's are cooler in color temperature. This gives many the perception that they greatly improve visibility. This is a false impression, but one the industry is willing to feed to make money.

In the Edge housings prior to 2011 the H9 and HIR combination is a superb solution if you want more light output, they focus to perfection and do not cause glare to opposing drivers. I have not played around with a 2011 Edge housing yet, but expect that HID is not the way to go there either, unless and untill a major lighting vender comes out with a complying conversion kit. Early in the game one of the majors did put out such a kit but quickly removed it from the market since such kits simply do not work properly in a reflector housing. The sale of such kits for street use is illegal. The installation by a service center of such kits is also illegal in many if not most states.

I am amazed that there isn't a drop in HID projector kit for the Edge. Does anyone know if the 2011 projectors will fit into the 08 Edge?

I highly doubt that due to the immense difference in the headlight structures. At least not without extensive retrofitting.

You are best off to buy a retrofit kit. I got a sweet one at TheRetrofitSource.com for about $400.00. It included FX-R Bi-Xenon projectors with clear lenses, shrouds, ballast, bulbs, harness and CCFL light rings. They were destined for my Volvo, but I'm not sure of the car's fate at this moment. Too busy enjoying my Edge.

I have noticed that the Edge's HIDs could be better and I will look to improve them eventually. The projectors are a weird 2 sphere design (Hi/Lo) with fresnel markings as well as dimples and a ridge across the horizontal line.

(interested in having someone do a retrofit for your Edge? Hit me up and we can work on something)

Edited by cal3thousand