Steering noise

Most of the steering stops are metal to metal. If you are holding the wheels turned until they are against the stops and you are moving, the stops are moving against each other, normal. If you intend to do this often and it bothers you, you can put a finger of grease on the stops. It will last until it rains or you wear it off.

Most of the steering stops are metal to metal. If you are holding the wheels turned until they are against the stops and you are moving, the stops are moving against each other, normal. If you intend to do this often and it bothers you, you can put a finger of grease on the stops. It will last until it rains or you wear it off.

The noise happens before I get to the stop.

Change the power steering fluid. It is merconV trans fluid. I used a "turkey baster" to remove as much as I could, filled to full and drove the car for a week and them did the same thing again. I had no squeaks but this damn steering wheel really vibrates when turning at slow speeds. Apparently all of the Edges do this....or so I was told.

Just started hearing an intermittent squeaking noise when I turn right in full motion (and it's not my tires). Anybody got any idea about this one?

I have this same issue, but i wouldnt call mine a squeak, more of a whistle, and it's there at nearly all speeds, only when turning right. I have an appt. Friday and will update with what I find out. If this was normal or expected, then I would assume it would also happen when turning left, and would have happened day 1.

I have this same issue, but i wouldnt call mine a squeak, more of a whistle, and it's there at nearly all speeds, only when turning right. I have an appt. Friday and will update with what I find out. If this was normal or expected, then I would assume it would also happen when turning left, and would have happened day 1.

Just back from the dealership. They said they test drove it and it was "a normal sound of the power steering fluid pump" and that was that. They said they heard the sound when turning right or left but it only happens for me turning right. And the "normal sound" didn't start until I got to about 2000 miles odometer...

• 1 month later...

Anyone find a resolution to this? My 2011 Edge Limited started doing this recently (I'm at 2,000 miles). It only "squeaks" when I turn the wheel to the right. I have a hard time accepting "thats just the way it is" when I paid that kind of money to get a loaded Limited edition.

I have a 2011 Edge Limited and bought it with 42 miles and it now has 1100+ miles in 2.5 weeks. Just starting hearing this noise when turning right ONLY and had it into the dealership today. The noise is a whistling/hallow sound like when you swing a rope around in the air but more high pitch and also intermittent. They and I were both able to recreate the noise with ease and they even went out on the lot and drove a newer edge and did not hear the same sound. They tried everything they could to figure it out but found it safe to drive. They even switched the tires around thinking it was the tire. They have a ticket into Ford which means they will have to do their own research and if they can't figure it out they will send somebody out. I do not know where it goes from there. I will keep you posted. Have your dealership put a ticket in with Ford so it gets documented, fixed and a TSB is issued.

I have a 2011 Edge Limited and bought it with 42 miles and it now has 1100+ miles in 2.5 weeks. Just starting hearing this noise when turning right ONLY and had it into the dealership today. The noise is a whistling/hallow sound like when you swing a rope around in the air but more high pitch and also intermittent. They and I were both able to recreate the noise with ease and they even went out on the lot and drove a newer edge and did not hear the same sound. They tried everything they could to figure it out but found it safe to drive. They even switched the tires around thinking it was the tire. They have a ticket into Ford which means they will have to do their own research and if they can't figure it out they will send somebody out. I do not know where it goes from there. I will keep you posted. Have your dealership put a ticket in with Ford so it gets documented, fixed and a TSB is issued.

I have the same issue and i thought it was because i change the lug nuts to the gorrilla locks but obviously thats not the case, i thought i put too much torque when tighting the locks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

****RESOLVED****

My car was in the shop for another 5 days because Ford's hotline instructed the dealership to try a few things which turned out to be greasing the steering components, machine the rotors, replace the hub assembly, and adjust the breaks. All of which did not solve the problem. Finally a Ford Engineer was sent out and figured out the issue. The heat shield between the exhaust and engine backing plate was flexing while turning right and caused the sound. They re-adjusted the heat shield so it was not touching or leaning up against anything and the noise went away. Had the car back for 2 days now and the noise is still gone. The dealership described the noise as a whistling hooting sound. I also asked if a TSB will be issued and was told they were not sure. Hope this solves your problem too.

• Like 1

****RESOLVED****

My car was in the shop for another 5 days because Ford's hotline instructed the dealership to try a few things which turned out to be greasing the steering components, machine the rotors, replace the hub assembly, and adjust the breaks. All of which did not solve the problem. Finally a Ford Engineer was sent out and figured out the issue. The heat shield between the exhaust and engine backing plate was flexing while turning right and caused the sound. They re-adjusted the heat shield so it was not touching or leaning up against anything and the noise went away. Had the car back for 2 days now and the noise is still gone. The dealership described the noise as a whistling hooting sound. I also asked if a TSB will be issued and was told they were not sure. Hope this solves your problem too.

Thanks for posting resolution!

So I took my vehicle in to update the sync and mentioned this problem. Neither were fixed. They couldn't update my sync and the mechanic made notes saying 'abs wiring harness was loose, rubbing against front cv boot. Harness put back in place, test drove, noise gone' so I'm like okay. Then i pull out of the parking lot and take a RIGHT and guess what, still there. Like honestly what do I have to do, fix it myself? I told the girl in service that it was the heat shield was flexing and she's like 'well that wouldn't be it at all' nothing but problems.

So I took my vehicle in to update the sync and mentioned this problem. Neither were fixed. They couldn't update my sync and the mechanic made notes saying 'abs wiring harness was loose, rubbing against front cv boot. Harness put back in place, test drove, noise gone' so I'm like okay. Then i pull out of the parking lot and take a RIGHT and guess what, still there. Like honestly what do I have to do, fix it myself? I told the girl in service that it was the heat shield was flexing and she's like 'well that wouldn't be it at all' nothing but problems.

Get to another dealer buddy.

I have to say the heat shield resolution is certainly strange because I could have sworn that it sounded like something to do with the wheel (sounds like it comes from left front... anyone else agree on that?). Just the way the noise is, that intermittant, squeeking/chirping whatever you want to call it... sounds like its related to wheel speed.

Curious, when was everyones Edges built or when did you take delivery? I took delivery of my 2011 Limited AWD in October/November 2010 and I think I started hearing the noise in January.

Get to another dealer buddy.

I have to say the heat shield resolution is certainly strange because I could have sworn that it sounded like something to do with the wheel (sounds like it comes from left front... anyone else agree on that?). Just the way the noise is, that intermittant, squeeking/chirping whatever you want to call it... sounds like its related to wheel speed.

Curious, when was everyones Edges built or when did you take delivery? I took delivery of my 2011 Limited AWD in October/November 2010 and I think I started hearing the noise in January.

I took delivery of my custom-ordered 2011 LTD in December and started hearing the noise in March (I started this topic.) I cut-and-pasted AXM's posting below in which he/she believed that his/her dealership and finally discovered the heat shield solution and e-mailed it to my dealership and they said they would look into it but it's now been a week and have received nothing back. Maybe AXM could tell us the name of his/her dealership so we can direct ours to it?

I'm going back this Monday, they're going to give me a car instead of wasting my time waiting for a shuttle. I'll insist they look at the heat shield. If they don't then I'll go somewhere else. Thanks guys.

My dealer said that Ford engineering got back to them today - specifically in reference to me telling them about this thread. Engineering confirmed they have feedback from a Field Engineer detailing this. When they described it to me, it didn't sound exactly the same as above but close enough for me to believe it was the same issue. There is also a report of the brake hose rubbing something so they are going to check that too.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem with my 2011 Ford Edge SEL and it got really bad around 1,200 miles. Like even rounding exit or entrance ramps could cause the noise. Now my vehicle is above 4,000 miles and the sound is nearly gone. I REALLY have to take a right turn HARD to get the noise to emit, but otherwise the vehicle is quite silent. I don't know if the parts settled in the engine or something, I just know that the sound has seemed to go away. I'd love a TSB to be issued on this because I took the vehicle in to the Ford Dealership to have it looked at. They were able to get the vehicle to make the noise, but they couldn't figure out what was causing it. I told them about this thread, but they were still unsure. It'd just be nice to have the dealership tell me its fixed and won't happen again under any circumstances... Oh well, I think I'll just consider myself lucky that the vehicle's parts are settling in and the noise is fading. Hopefully this happens for the rest of you.

• 2 months later...

*** Solution ?? ***

Hi guys

Since August 31st, I have a brand new 2011 Edge AWD Limited that just showed this noise a couple of days ago..

I went to my dealer this week and they had a lot of "bla bla" over a possible noisy power stering pump but after a lot of insisting from my part, they search in their "bible" and they found a TSB on this thing. It is going back next Wednesday ...

The number here in Canada is TSB 11-9-4

I'll let you know next weekend about it ...

*** Solution ?? ***

Hi guys

Since August 31st, I have a brand new 2011 Edge AWD Limited that just showed this noise a couple of days ago..

I went to my dealer this week and they had a lot of "bla bla" over a possible noisy power stering pump but after a lot of insisting from my part, they search in their "bible" and they found a TSB on this thing. It is going back next Wednesday ...

The number here in Canada is TSB 11-9-4

I'll let you know next weekend about it ...

OK Guys

The TSB was done today and guess what ... No change !!

I ended up with two mechanics that came out to hear ...they think again that it is the power streeing pump that is anormally noisy. They're ordering a new one ... another trip to the dealer to come ...