Squeaking noise coming from engine

samskudd

OK, I am probably going to get hit with a "duplicate topic" post, but my engine is squeaking loudly upon start up. Not a constant squeak, but more periodic.

I think that after runnning it for 10 minutes or so, it mostly goes away, but still it is not only concerning but slightly embarrasing. Not quite sure what it could be...I only have 10k miles on the 2011 SEL, so if there is something wrong, the dealership should fix it, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, so that when I go into the dealership I don't have to sit and argue with them, as by the time I get there the noise will probably be gone anyway, and my dealership service folks are kinda a pain in the butt....

• 1 month later...

OK, I am probably going to get hit with a "duplicate topic" post, but my engine is squeaking loudly upon start up. Not a constant squeak, but more periodic.

I think that after runnning it for 10 minutes or so, it mostly goes away, but still it is not only concerning but slightly embarrasing. Not quite sure what it could be...I only have 10k miles on the 2011 SEL, so if there is something wrong, the dealership should fix it, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, so that when I go into the dealership I don't have to sit and argue with them, as by the time I get there the noise will probably be gone anyway, and my dealership service folks are kinda a pain in the butt....

Does it sound like this?

21647  2011 EDGE/EXPLORER AND 2011 MKX- 3.5L AND 3.7L TIVCT START-UP TICK SOME 2011 FORD EDGE, EXPLORER AND 2011 LINCOLN MKX VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 3.5L OR 3.7L TIVCT ENGINES MAY HAVE A TICK OR METAL TAPPING NOISE HEARD OUTSIDE THE VEHICLE UPON START UP AND WARM UP. THE NOISE GOES AWAY ONCE THE VEHICLE IS HOT. THIS ISSUE WILL NOT DAMAGE THE ENGINE OR CAUSE LONG TERM DURABILITY CONCERNS. ENGINEERING IS INVESTIGATING THIS CONCERN. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT NO REPAIRS BE ATTEMPTED AT THIS TIME AND MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES. EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/15/2010

Sounds like a serpentine belt issue. Leave it at the dealers overnight and have them start it up in the morning. I suggest you be there because if not the techs won't hear anything........and if your there and they hear it they will tell you it's normal. Good Luck !

I used to have the same problem with my old Expedition - usually happened after it sat in the rain, or if the air was misty. At first the squeaking would go away after running the engine for a few minutes. But every time it happened, I would have to run it longer or drive it longer to make it go away. It came to a point where it wouldn't go away at all. It was embarrassing driving around with a truck that sounded like a bird was living under the hood chirping away. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the belt under warranty.

A year or so later I went through this whole process again - replaced under warranty again.

The next time it happened, it was no longer under warranty, so I just sprayed some belt dressing on it every time - happened once/twice a year for 6 years until I finally changed the belt myself.

Edited by milktruk

Could be a pully mis-alignment on the alternator, a/c compressor etc. Remove the belt and remove the belt tensioner and try lubing the tensioner itself. This is a shot in a dark but I would definitely take it in for service so it at least gets documented incase something else goes because of the belt issue. It may also be a pully bearing that's squeaking which can be identified when the squeaking is occuring with a mechanics stethoscope. Keep us posted how it goes brotha !

Could also just be a defective belt.

My previous car had a squeak like that after I swapped the engine out. I used the old belt (which was almost new) but I ran over it with the loaded cherry picker while dropping the new motor in.

That little defect (almost invisible to the eye, but you could feel it along the belt edge) caused squeaking which would be alleviated by belt dressing and went away as the engine warmed, but would come back after it dried up and the belt cooled. I had to pull the belt and shave the defect with a razor blade.

If they pull the belt, or if you do, run your finger along the whole side (both) of the belt and make sure you don't feel any artifacts.

Thanks everyone for the assistance...I am pretty sure it is a belt issue, definitely a squeak not a tick...On a colder day, I tried to spray the belt with the belt conditioning spray, and the noise changed, but didn't go away...BUT now that it is warmer outside, I don't hear the noise anymore....I am assuming the cold weather makes the belt stiff and first thing in the moring the alternator is running full power to charge up my battery...

I guess I will have to wait until it gets cold and take the car in to get the belt changed...