High pitch tone before starting engine. Normal? 2011 MKX

ervwalter

When I press my foot on the brake pedal and before I press the "start" button, a high pitch tone starts from under the hood of my 2011 MKX (premium/elite package if that matters). It sounds electronic (i.e. not something mechanical rubbing on something else). It isn't especially loud. Although the vehicle drives fine and there are no other symptoms, I wondered if it was a symptom of something that was wrong or failing. As far as I can tell, the tone doesn't stop when the engine starts, but it is much harder to hear over the engine noise. I don't know if it stops at some point after the engine has been running for a while.

The technician at the dealer obviously had never heard of it before but said he didn't think it was abnormal. Given that he wasn't ware of it as a normal behavior prior to me asking about it, I am not sure how he came to the conclusion that it was not abnormal.

Does anyone know if this is a normal behavior and just indicates that something is getting energized/primed prior to me starting the engine?

I have noticed this as well especially when it is sittting in the garage in accessory mode. It does go away after a few minutes. I believe others have made note of this and it seems to be normal.

My 2011 Edge SEL without push button start does this as well in accessory mode. I wondered if it is a fan somewhere for the electronics. To me it sounds like a high pitched computer fan, of which I am very familiar as I work in the IT business. Could be wrong of course.

My 2011 Edge SEL without push button start does this as well in accessory mode. I wondered if it is a fan somewhere for the electronics. To me it sounds like a high pitched computer fan, of which I am very familiar as I work in the IT business. Could be wrong of course.

It could be anything from a Fuel Pump priming to some relay that gets energized. Could be the little hamster that powers the MFT system, who knows? :lol:

• Like 1

It's unrelated but...

When high beam is activated during day time or when the headlight comes on, there's a mechanical clunking noise under the hood. Any idea what this is? Sounds too loud to be a relay.

From what I heard its a mechanical flap moving outta the way allowing more light out of the projector housings.

M.

• 3 months later...

Thanks all. Glad to know that it is a typical occurance and not something happening to just me.

I noticed this on my Edge when first got it. just an annoying high pitch ringing. i was assuming something like what cal3thousand said.

It's unrelated but...

When high beam is activated during day time or when the headlight comes on, there's a mechanical clunking noise under the hood. Any idea what this is? Sounds too loud to be a relay.

the 2011 edge doesnt have high beams. the "high beams" are merely just a flap system that cuts off the top of the beam

Edited by sphinx805