Aftermarket Carpet Floor Mat Review

I've been searching for some quality after-market carpet floor mats to replace the cheap stock mats with their inadequate coverage. I found some manufactured by Lloyd Mats that looked like they'd fit what I was looking for - high quality and greater coverage, including the dead pedal area. Thanks to some help and answers from wonderful members on this forum in a previous post, I decided they were indeed what I wanted and went ahead and ordered the Lloyd Ultimats along with a WeatherTech rear cargo mat. Here's my review in hopes that it'll help others looking for carpeted mats.

First some photos comparing the size of the new mats versus stock:

post-13249-028601200 1303257238_thumb.jpg

post-13249-012813600 1303257249_thumb.jpg

Now the mats on their own:

post-13249-087029800 1303257295_thumb.jpg

post-13249-023037800 1303257316_thumb.jpg

Here is the back side of the driver's mat showing the hook system that uses the two pegs on the floor and also has a velcro attachment for the dead pedal. The velcro is two pieces and you are seeing the white covering over the stick back on one half of the velcro.

post-13249-002822500 1303257417_thumb.jpg

post-13249-045874800 1303257436_thumb.jpg

post-13249-042754800 1303257456_thumb.jpg

And finally pictures of them installed in the vehicle:

Driver Side

post-13249-062367500 1303257501_thumb.jpg

post-13249-089772300 1303257522_thumb.jpg

Passenger Side

post-13249-092883500 1303257577_thumb.jpg

post-13249-031905100 1303257590_thumb.jpg

My thoughts on the new mats versus stock:

1. Carpet quality is better - it's thicker and more plush by a significant amount.

2. Coverage is much better and covers some important areas the stock ones left bare.

3. Fit is excellent on the passenger side but the driver's side has two minor issues. The mat hooks to the pegs underneath the mat which makes the mat bubble a bit over each peg. On the left side of the mat in the foot well just ahead of the door there is a place where they should have curved the mat inward as that's what the plastic foot well wall does so it makes a minor bubble again. I anticipate both issues to become less as the mat breaks in and conforms better to the car.

4. The velcro sticker doesn't exactly line up with the plastic covering in the dead pedal area - part of the sticker will be on carpet. As of now, I haven't peeled the backing off and stuck it down yet......not sure I even need the velcro as the dead pedal carpet mat portion lays just fine on the dead pedal area.

5. The mats are true black so they are a bit darker than the grey black stock carpet. The camera flash makes it more noticeable than it really is and frankly I kinda like the slight contrast and extra dirt hiding ability.

Overall, the mats are a vast improvement over the stock mats and I highly recommend them. If anyone has other questions or needs further pictures, just let me know.

I've been searching for some quality after-market carpet floor mats to replace the cheap stock mats with their inadequate coverage. I found some manufactured by Lloyd Mats that looked like they'd fit what I was looking for - high quality and greater coverage, including the dead pedal area. Thanks to some help and answers from wonderful members on this forum in a previous post, I decided they were indeed what I wanted and went ahead and ordered the Lloyd Ultimats along with a WeatherTech rear cargo mat. Here's my review in hopes that it'll help others looking for carpeted mats.

shiggins, thank your for this excellent review! I have been wondering exactly how the Lloyds compared to stock, and now, without a doubt I know, thanks to you. Any chance you also have the one piece rear mat as well? I really want to see how that one fits compared to the two stock ones.

thanks again!

Thanks for the review and pictures. This really helps in determining what I should do about the front mats. I have Weather Techs in the rear and cargo area and I love them since I have a kid. But the wife doesn't like how slippery they are compared to carpet.

Does anyone know if there is a solution that has a rubber liner component with carpet on top? I want the comfort of carpet, but the protection of the rubber (insert bad joke here).

Like you said, nothing like the protection that rubber gives ( ha-ha), but sometimes you want to be pampered !

AUTOANYTHING.COM has a large selection, Give them a try. That's one place that most American cars fall

short, they skimp on floor mat quality. They should at least offer a upgraded carpeted mat, both in carpet

density, and floor coverage, even at an additional cost.

Edited by JOEHIO
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did free lance work for a company called Posh Pile, they make luxury interior accessories. The boss is a car enthusiast and after not being able to find a quality aftermarket carpet mat for his car - he made them himself. They fit very well in the Edge (photo link below) and here is what a Posh Pile owner had to say about these mats on the company's facebook page:

“These are the best Car Mats on the Market! They are luxurious, thick, extremely well made and worth double the price EASILY. Simply the Best! Thank You Posh Pile!” - Daniel J. McGinnity

Click here to see Posh Pile mats in the Ford Edge. (its mislabeled "focus", someone messed up)

They are only $51.95 on the ebay store, and the website is www.poshpile.com.

• 8 months later...

Is the weathertech rear cargo mat foldable? Or can you roll it up so it will fit nicely into a big suitcase. I ask because I live outside of the US and will be visiting shortly on business. I would like to purchase one but am not sure if I will be able to bring it back with me though... :huh:

The Weathertech rear cargo liner is very flexible and can easily be rolled and then folded into thirds, or folded in half front-to-back (~36") and then folded into thirds (~42") for a folded package of approx. 18" x 14". Let it set in the sun a bit and it'll get even more pliable.

I have the entire WeatherTech floor coverage kit in my Edge. That includes the cargo liner. It is a step up from the Ford OEM cargo liner for sure. It fits better and it made of a superior material.

I just ordered this set for my 2012 Edge. It has the front, rear mats + cargo area. I can't wait to get them.

I did free lance work for a company called Posh Pile, they make luxury interior accessories. The boss is a car enthusiast and after not being able to find a quality aftermarket carpet mat for his car - he made them himself. They fit very well in the Edge (photo link below) and here is what a Posh Pile owner had to say about these mats on the company's facebook page:

"These are the best Car Mats on the Market! They are luxurious, thick, extremely well made and worth double the price EASILY. Simply the Best! Thank You Posh Pile!" - Daniel J. McGinnity

Click here to see Posh Pile mats in the Ford Edge. (its mislabeled "focus", someone messed up)

They are only $51.95 on the ebay store, and the website is www.poshpile.com.

So those are the universal mats, correct? I currently have tan mats in my 2011 SEL and the Posh Pile tan color seems too gold / brown. In fact, the eBay pics really confirm for me that the color just isn't right for me.

Thanks for the option though.

Peace,

DM

Edited by Davom97

The Weathertech rear cargo liner is very flexible and can easily be rolled and then folded into thirds, or folded in half front-to-back (~36") and then folded into thirds (~42") for a folded package of approx. 18" x 14". Let it set in the sun a bit and it'll get even more pliable.

Great! Thank a lot for the help!

• 9 months later...

I would not buy. I ordered Lloyd Semi-Custom Heavy Plush Floor Mats for $59.99 and all I can say is that they got the color right. I have no idea where they came up with the sizing but it seems like they just put whatever that had on hand in the box and sent it out. It wasn't even close. And then on top of that, it costs me $16.33 to send them back.

post-25149-0-05988100-1355905557_thumb.jpg

post-25149-0-76097300-1355905581_thumb.jpg