Ba Bye Salt, Hello Bugs.....

Hello all,

Well, glad to see that the snow in Illinois is gone, but we are slowly moving to summer and bug season. How does everyone deal with them day to day. Two weeks ago we had a 70 degree day and I noticed that even going down a section of road I had bugs all over the bumper. When I got home, I used a little ONR to quickly detail the affected areas (Bumper, Windshield etc).

- How does everyone else handle bugs in the summer?

- We travel to a summer home, needless to say the car is covered in bugs going there and coming back home. Thoughts on how to handle this situation efficiently?

- If I use something like the Poor Boys Bug and Squash Remover, does that remove wax and therefore require more waxing?

I was thinking about leaving a small bottle of ONR and some MF towels at the summer home and then just repeating what I did last week.

Products and or tips appreciated!

Hopper

Hello all,

Well, glad to see that the snow in Illinois is gone, but we are slowly moving to summer and bug season. How does everyone deal with them day to day. Two weeks ago we had a 70 degree day and I noticed that even going down a section of road I had bugs all over the bumper. When I got home, I used a little ONR to quickly detail the affected areas (Bumper, Windshield etc).

- How does everyone else handle bugs in the summer?

- We travel to a summer home, needless to say the car is covered in bugs going there and coming back home. Thoughts on how to handle this situation efficiently?

- If I use something like the Poor Boys Bug and Squash Remover, does that remove wax and therefore require more waxing?

I was thinking about leaving a small bottle of ONR and some MF towels at the summer home and then just repeating what I did last week.

Products and or tips appreciated!

Hopper

Great Post! I was thinking the same thing. I recall my road trip from KS to KY when i found my car was covered in bugs from lower grill to the ROOF!

After a hiway drive, I've been stopping at the coin wash to rinse the bugs off...only because Im not carrying MFTs and a spray wash.

Let's hope the pros chime in!

• 3 weeks later...

I always put some WD40 on a soft rag and wipe down the front end and mirrors before each trip to my Northern Michigan cabin. The bugs will spray right off and this method has never damaged the paint. I always purchase white vehicles and a thousand bugs on the front end never looks good.

The WD 40 thing sounds interesting. I would coat the front end in 2 coats of Collinite 845 wax. When you get to wherever you're going, spray the bugs with a spray bottle of Zep Citrus which is an APC available at Home Depot for about $12/gallon. Dilute it 4:1. Let it dwell for less than 5 minutes and then power wash off. Yes, I know it says not to use on paint. I've been doing it for years. A bug sponge like what you can get at Autogeek is also very helpful. I have put my ONR directly on it (straight) and rubbed them off that way too. A bug sponge is a must have in my books!!

I've been using this stuff on my motorcycles for 10 years...

Honda Spray Polish

You can use it on all surfaces. You spray it on, let it sit for a 20-30 seconds and then wipe off. I use it on the plastic, metal and glass on my motorcycle and helmet. You can pick it up at your local Honda motorcylce dealer and save the shipping costs.

I've never washed any of my bikes, just spray this on and wipe it off.

There are others that swear by S100, but I've never personally used it.

Edited by PSUFetch

• 3 weeks later...

I read about using fabric softener dryer sheets to remove love bugs a few years ago.

I've been using them every love bug season since then to get those suckers off. They work pretty well.

I just wet everything down and gently rub with the sheet. It doesn't cause any paint damage. Any brand should work. I have the Kirkland (Costco) sheets.

I use Turtle wax bug remover in a spray bottle. Then apply Lanes carnauba wax after removing bugs. The dryer sheet thing sounds very interesting and I can't wait to try that out ! When I had my dirtbike.....many moons ago, I only used WD-40 to clean the plastic.....that stuff takes off EVERYTHING and never damaged the plastic. I would be hesitant about applying it to the bumper and not wiping it off though.

• 1 month later...

The WD 40 thing sounds interesting. I would coat the front end in 2 coats of Collinite 845 wax. When you get to wherever you're going, spray the bugs with a spray bottle of Zep Citrus which is an APC available at Home Depot for about $12/gallon. Dilute it 4:1. Let it dwell for less than 5 minutes and then power wash off. Yes, I know it says not to use on paint. I've been doing it for years. A bug sponge like what you can get at Autogeek is also very helpful. I have put my ONR directly on it (straight) and rubbed them off that way too. A bug sponge is a must have in my books!!

Hey Richy,

I just saw this old post and was interested as I'm about to do a 4000KM drive through the eastern US down to Nova Scotia. I'm sure I'll collect several million splat marks from this one...

I'm just wondering if you still use the ZC 4:1 with the CQ? If so, does effect the coating in any way and how well does the CQ help keep the bugs from sticking. I'll also be doing a good coat of ReLoad before I go as well. In fact that will likely come with me.

Thanks,

G

Hey Richy,

I just saw this old post and was interested as I'm about to do a 4000KM drive through the eastern US down to Nova Scotia. I'm sure I'll collect several million splat marks from this one...

I'm just wondering if you still use the ZC 4:1 with the CQ? If so, does effect the coating in any way and how well does the CQ help keep the bugs from sticking. I'll also be doing a good coat of ReLoad before I go as well. In fact that will likely come with me.

Thanks,

G

Glen, if you have CQ and ReLoad on their prior to the trip then the surface will be as protected as it can be. The key with bugs is to get them off quickly as their little bastard bodies are acidic and eat into the paint. Find yourself a coin op car wash and blast it off with water or soap. The other thing is take a small bucket and some ONR (Optimum No Rinse) and a bug sponge for any that do not come off that way, although they probably will. If you haven't got any ONR yet, do it! It will amaze you. IT's one of my all time favourite products. Get yourself a bug sponge too. Here's the one I have:

http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html

Glen, if you have CQ and ReLoad on their prior to the trip then the surface will be as protected as it can be. The key with bugs is to get them off quickly as their little bastard bodies are acidic and eat into the paint. Find yourself a coin op car wash and blast it off with water or soap. The other thing is take a small bucket and some ONR (Optimum No Rinse) and a bug sponge for any that do not come off that way, although they probably will. If you haven't got any ONR yet, do it! It will amaze you. IT's one of my all time favourite products. Get yourself a bug sponge too. Here's the one I have:

http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html

Hey Richy, No ONR yet, I have to keep a low profile on the detailing supplies for a while, I've already spent over $500 in the past 2 months, the DA was a big expense. The wife will leave me if I bring another box home. :finger:

I've got a reasonably good bug scrubber, it's one of those MF one side, nylon scrubbers on the other. I find as long as you're gentle with it and have enough soap for lube, its scratch free. If I remember right, it was just a dollar store special. It was 3M "Scratch Free" branded. It certainly got good use on my grill before I CQ'd it. Since I've done the front end last weekend, so far, just water and an MF seem to be working....loving it!! I haven't touched it with soap yet.

So do you avoid Bug soaps and APC on the CQ?

• 2 weeks later...

I carry Spray & Wipe with me. If you get the bugs off while they are still fresh, it's no big deal.

If you let them cook on, you're going to have a chore removing them.

In this heat wave we're in, they're pretty much cooked as soon as they splat.

Hey Richy, No ONR yet, I have to keep a low profile on the detailing supplies for a while, I've already spent over $500 in the past 2 months, the DA was a big expense. The wife will leave me if I bring another box home. :finger:

I've got a reasonably good bug scrubber, it's one of those MF one side, nylon scrubbers on the other. I find as long as you're gentle with it and have enough soap for lube, its scratch free. If I remember right, it was just a dollar store special. It was 3M "Scratch Free" branded. It certainly got good use on my grill before I CQ'd it. Since I've done the front end last weekend, so far, just water and an MF seem to be working....loving it!! I haven't touched it with soap yet.

So do you avoid Bug soaps and APC on the CQ?

If you get at them quickly enough or the trip has not been too long, they will wash right off without anything. But, if you drove 24 hours to Florida (an example of what it takes us) and had this huge collection of baked-on bugs, it might take more. I use Duragloss Bug and Tar remover when I need to use such a product. Generally not though. They should still be removed as quickly as possible to stop their acidic bodies eating into the clear.

Edited by richy