Official 2008 Updates released

Bryce

from http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?cate...2_articleid=556

* The 2008 Ford Edge adds several options for 2008 including a power liftgate, voice-activated navigation system, 20-inch chrome clad wheels, Sync and four new exterior colors. Edge also features a new color scheme on the instrument panel and door panels, along with a new rear liftgate handle for improved comfort and convenience. A new interior appearance package adds leather-trimmed seats with premium red seating surfaces and contrast stitching.

* The 2008 Lincoln MKX adds Sync to its standard features list, along with SIRIUS® Satellite Radio, heated and cooled front seats, Reverse Sensing System, memory seats and mirrors and driver/passenger power lumbar. New available features include a Limited Package and 20-inch chrome wheels.

My take on it... power lift gate is unnecessary (except to shut up the auto magazine reviewers). Voice activated nav would be nice, but I doubt that I'll miss not having it. Chrome Clad wheels suck and these will suck 25% more (if you calculate surface area of the chrome clad side 20" vs. 18"). Sync would be cool, and would like to have it, but I'm not holding my breath on having it available as a retro fit for our '07. Lift gate handle seemed OK to me. I'd have to see the Red seats before I'd judge them, but no way with our Blazing Copper paint.

I've got no regrets on not waiting for an '08, but Sync would have been a cool toy.

Bryce

Not much i would require of that list. The power liftgate might be nice, depending on the price of the option. Dont need much larger wheels, not a tech head to get sync, although my wife might like it, no idea on the new interior option - we also have the copper! The cooled seats of the MKX might be nice in the Edge (again depending on price) as they get a little hot in the Florida summer. Have no need for nav myself. The rear liftgate handle is fine, but if they did the rear glass opening with a handle as other small-mid SUV's have that might be useful.

I thought part of the big thing of the 08 (except the sync) was going to be something on the brakes and such - although i have no problem with mine, surely that was also on the cards to make the rags shut up?

Edited by sim

Sync is cool. You really need to see it in action to appreciate it. You can plug prety much any digital music player into it and browse the contents via voice control. i-pod, playsforsure, zune, usb stick. Whatever. Powered USB port in the center console also charges the device. Voice works very well. You can alos stream music from a bluetooth phone or other device (if it supports it), so for example, if you listen to a variety of streaming stations on the net and your phone has the bandwidth you can listen to them through the BT connection. I listen to Virgin Radio Groove from the UK all the time, being able to do that on the road will be awesome. It will even read your SMS messages if you want, and provide a selection of common replies you can send back using voice commands.

Don't discount sync. Ford has a really cool mobile audio/phone/gadget integration solution in it that is in a whole other class compared to any other OEM audio/bt/nav solution. Sync is the main reaosn I have yet to purchase an Edge. In my case Ford has been stricken by the Osborne Syndrome.

I know a lot of folks go "nav...meh..." but sync is way more than nav. If Ford was wise they would offer upgrades for existing Edge owners.

Anyway, my $.02

-Ian

I must say that on my Lincoln MKX the feature that I thought about its worth was the power lift gate because I never had one before. But after one month of owning the MKX, the power lift gate is one feature that I have come to like very much and find very convenient.

Not much i would require of that list. The power liftgate might be nice, depending on the price of the option. Dont need much larger wheels, not a tech head to get sync, although my wife might like it, no idea on the new interior option - we also have the copper! The cooled seats of the MKX might be nice in the Edge (again depending on price) as they get a little hot in the Florida summer. Have no need for nav myself. The rear liftgate handle is fine, but if they did the rear glass opening with a handle as other small-mid SUV's have that might be useful.

I thought part of the big thing of the 08 (except the sync) was going to be something on the brakes and such - although i have no problem with mine, surely that was also on the cards to make the rags shut up?

The rags should just shut up now and print a retraction because the brakes in my Edge are far and away superior to the 05 Escape I had before. My Edge stops much faster and smoother than the much lighter Escape which also had 4 wheel discs.

Of course I know that the comparison is apples and oranges, but my point is that the Edge's brakes don't need fixin' cause they ain't broke! :shades:

Any news on if the DVD Entertainment System will be available in the Headrest for those owners who also want the Vista roof? I'm not referring to the Dealer installed version but a Factory Installed option.

As for the 20" rims. Any benefit to having them or are they just for show? Won't they actually cause a slight bumpier ride?

Any news on if the DVD Entertainment System will be available in the Headrest for those owners who also want the Vista roof? I'm not referring to the Dealer installed version but a Factory Installed option.

As for the 20" rims. Any benefit to having them or are they just for show? Won't they actually cause a slight bumpier ride?

Looks only. Yes.

My dealer has an Edge on their lot with the DVD headrests. The sticker shows $2195.00 for them, allthough my salesman told me $1995.00 for them on the MKX. That Edge also had 20's on it & they added $ 3200.00 to the cost. I think could do a lot better on the wheels from your local tire store or over the internet. I like the factory DVD headrests though because they are a correct color match.