Is $6k off sticker a great price?

UPDATE CLIFFS:

Got $5k off sticker. Got full KBB middle trade-in value. Financed outside of Ford for 2.25% 60 months.

I am starting to look into something a bit bigger, my 2010 GTI with stage 2 is awesome, but a little cramped now that I had a baby..

So I just found out about the Edge today.. The Sport is what really caught my eye. But after a lot of checking, the Sport is really extending my budget more than I can afford. On top of that, no one wants to give a discount on the Sport. There are only 2-3 left in my 100 mile radius..

So... I looked at the Limited and SEL at the same dealer. 80% of them are all being offered at $6k under MSRP. I would thing that is an awesome price. I dont know if i am allowed to post links since this is my very first post, but you can confirm those prices at frontierford<dot>com which is one of my local dealers. After you click on each car, it shows the "special" price of $6k less..

If this is the best price I can find anywhere, I might just settle for a Limited instead of a Sport. I mostly wanted the Sport for the black grill, I dont like the chrome. I can do without the shift paddles, i dont even use them on my GTI. I do like those funky rims, but not the weight associated with them.

So is $6k off MSRP worth jumping on? They have at least 10-15 at that price. I'm down to either white or blue color.

Edited by jackson5

I am new to the forum. I have had a 2011 Edge on order for 2 weeks. SEL, FWD, 202A package with SIRIUS Nav, Vista roof, BLIS system, in the tri platinum white color. My company is doing a fleet deal and price is $31, 513.00 if that helps.

Looking forward to the edge when it arrives, I am told approx 6-8 weeks?

I am starting to look into something a bit bigger, my 2010 GTI with stage 2 is awesome, but a little cramped now that I had a baby..

So I just found out about the Edge today.. The Sport is what really caught my eye. But after a lot of checking, the Sport is really extending my budget more than I can afford. On top of that, no one wants to give a discount on the Sport. There are only 2-3 left in my 100 mile radius..

So... I looked at the Limited and SEL at the same dealer. 80% of them are all being offered at $6k under MSRP. I would thing that is an awesome price. I dont know if i am allowed to post links since this is my very first post, but you can confirm those prices at frontierfordcom which is one of my local dealers. After you click on each car, it shows the "special" price of $6k less..

If this is the best price I can find anywhere, I might just settle for a Limited instead of a Sport. I mostly wanted the Sport for the black grill, I dont like the chrome. I can do without the shift paddles, i dont even use them on my GTI. I do like those funky rims, but not the weight associated with them.

So is $6k off MSRP worth jumping on? They have at least 10-15 at that price. I'm down to either white or blue color.

I don't believe that price for one minute. Here is a breakdown for a Tuxedo Black SEL Vin 2FMDK3JC0BBB21663

MSRP $35,460

X Plan $33,590

True Dealer Invoice (estimated) $33,440

True Dealer Cost (invoice minus 3% holdback) $32,440 (estimated)

Frontier Ford "Special" Price $29,460

I don't see any incentives for that zip code so $29,460 would actually be $3K less than dealer COST. Even if there was a $1K or $1500 rebate it's still too high.

What they typically do is they only have 1 vehicle at that price or they include ALL POSSIBLE incentives even though there is no way you could ever qualify or use all of them. Or you have to purchase other things and pay a huge documentation fee to make up the difference.

You can call and get an "out the door" price on that Tux Black SEL just for giggles. But I wouldn't touch that dealership with a ten foot pole.

Your best normal price for that Edge would be around $33,500 minus whatever Ford rebates you qualify for.

With all due respect, it doesnt really matter if anyone "believes" that price. Its advertised on their website for almost every Edge they have. Especially since this is Memorial Day weekend, the best car sales weekend of the year.

so my answer is... yes, it is a screaming deal i guess.

if i buy one this weekend i'll let you know how it worked out. thanks.

With all due respect, it doesnt really matter if anyone "believes" that price.

With all due respect, what I'm telling you is you will never be able to actually buy one for that price. It will either already be sold or you won't qualify for the $6K discount or they'll add other fees and options that negate the $6K discount.

If you can buy that Edge for $29,460 plus tax tag, title and a reasonable documentation fee and no other options I'll be totally shocked.

TANSTAAFL

just for comparison, in April 2011 I got that exact car, in Bergundy, for 29850 after all rebates. Also got good trade in values for my cars. So there are those deals around.

What rebates did you get? Maybe there are some hidden rebates that aren't showing up on the website.

And what does the fine print say? I think I see something about a trade-in. Don't be fooled by sales gimmicks.

it says trade-in BONUS CASH.. and its $1000 bonus trade-in cash.. and $1000 rebate.. and $500 ford credit bonus cash, and $500 ford payment.

and i just saw a commercial 2 seconds ago saying the same thing.

sorry you have such a hard time believing someone can get a deal this good. I have bought a new car at least once a year for the last 10 years..

Edited by jackson5

And what does the fine print say? I think I see something about a trade-in. Don't be fooled by sales gimmicks.

and you have to finance with them (FMCC at least) to get one of those $1000s off...plus, isn't it kind of sad that they couldn't use the picture of an actual 2011 model?

Edited by carbonedge+

it says trade-in BONUS CASH.. and its $1000 bonus trade-in cash.. and $1000 rebate.. and $500 ford credit bonus cash, and $500 ford payment.

and i just saw a commercial 2 seconds ago saying the same thing.

sorry you have such a hard time believing someone can get a deal this good. I have bought a new car at least once a year for the last 10 years..

I'm sorry you actually believe that a dealer would sell a popular vehicle like the Edge for less than they paid for it.

The trade-in cash is just a ploy so they can make up the difference on the trade-in transaction.

I bet there is also a hefty documentation fee.

But it's your money. If you think it's a screaming deal go for it.

im done having this silly argument. i will have my update after the weekend if i end up getting a car. (for any of those actually interested in the deal i get.)

im actually unsubscribing from this thread so i dont get bothered with this until i have any actual news.

Edited by jackson5

I was not suggesting that you shouldn't buy the vehicle. I was merely pointing out tricks the dealer was using so you don't get tricked into paying more than you thought you were paying.

I agree -- I have looked into these before when shopping around, come to find out that in many cases they throw in things like $500 for recent college graduate buyer, $500 military member buyer, etc to advertise the highest rebate amount. Most people do not qualify for those, even fewer would qualify for both of these, however they do a good job of getting you in the door and once you are in the door you get new car fever a little bit more and don't care as much about the final cost since you really really want to drive home the new car.

Sorry you felt accosted by the doubting Thomases, so many of us have just seen it/done that many times before. I'm interested to find out what kind of deal you end up with, please let us know!

It's called "healthy skepticism". My rule of thumb is beware of anything priced below dealer invoice minus Ford factory rebates, especially on a vehicle that is selling well with minimal inventory. You can get lower than dealer invoice in certain circumstances such as a vehicle that's been on the lot for months or something they're overstocked on but it's rare.

Make your best deal without a trade-in first. This way you know they aren't subsidizing the new vehicle price by manipulating the trade-in value.

Know the documentation fee up front - that can be several hundred dollars in additional dealer profit that gets tacked onto the end of the deal.

Know which rebates you qualify for before you start negotiating or simply leave the rebates out of the deal altogether since they're non negotiable and they're the same at all dealers.

Always get the "out the door" price including all fees, rebates, taxes, etc. for comparison.

Typical tactics include the afore-mentioned advertising rebates that you're not eligible for, forcing you to finance at a much higher interest rate, inflated doc fees, required dealer add-ons (paint/fabric protection, security system, etched windows, etc.), lowballing trade-in value.

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Or as Judge Judy says if it's too good to be true it usually isn't.

I appreciate everyones advice so far. I have been buying and negotiating new cars for longer than I would like to remember, and I am aware how easy it is to get scammed.

UPDATE: Just got a quote on a Sport I liked for $4300 under sticker. I am pursuing that one before I go back to the Limited. I really like that sport grill and the wheels, even though they are heavy.

I am expecting to buy an Edge today.. unless all these deals are bogus when i arrive.

Edited by jackson5

Update:

On that first limited I am looking at. I have family who is good friends with the sales manager, so i am now working with him directly (as family) instead of the sales person. He gave me the bottom line on the $6000 discount off sticker, with no bs.

$3000 straight rebate off the top

$1000 rebate for having a trade in

$1000 rebate if you use ford credit to finance

$1000 straight rebate

---------------------------------------

$6000 rebate total

he is now checking my financing rate if i use ford for the extra $1000, vs not using ford and only getting a $5000 rebate.

the only mysterious link and question is... what kind of trade-in value will i get. Thats the only thing that can kill this deal.

Edited by jackson5

update: another dealer has a similar limited with most of the same options. He offered $4700 off sticker. after I told him about the $6k dealership he said he will match it and beat it at $6,100 off sticker.

naturally this doesnt mean much until I see what my trade in will get.

Have not heard back on my financing rates yet.

updates. strike out. even when i come out looking less favorable, i'll still post it to help others.

sure enough, they did do the $6k under sticker. As a matter of fact, while i was at that dealer i called another one.. and talked the other one into $6k off a Sport..

i knew when the 4 square came out i was doomed. i didnt want to be a dick and not even give him a chance, so i let him do his bs.

bottom line, they came back with Ford financing at 6.9% for 60 months. i almost laughed out loud. i already have $25k loan ready at my credit union at 2.25% if i need it..

then, they offered about $1500-$1800 less than i wanted on my trade in. (offered $18,500)

then i found out they had automatically tacked on an extended warranty, but said i could remove it if i wanted, to save $30/month.

my payments were $100 more a month than i had expected, and $70 more a month than i wanted after i removed the warranty bs.

i drove my first edge. i looked at the Sport and the Limited. The Sport had almost every option the limited had. But no sunroof. Thats a deal killer for me. I live for sunroofs. I liked the Sports different dash panel color and the grill. The 22" rims ALMOST looked too big in person, i dont think i could deal with them. The Limited.. I didnt like the wood grain dash but not a huge deal. drove decent, smooth. not a very exciting car to drive tho. i've had modded 300hp small cars for quite a while now so you know where i am coming from. The sunroof was awesome, it had NAV also.

I am not sure if i will continue my search, i may try and find a Sport with a sunroof, then maybe i could live with the rims.

I got in my GTI and felt very relieved that I had not made an impulse decision today.

Edited by jackson5

PS. I found the car i do want. Its a black Sport WITH sunroof.. but its $44k... that is far above my budget and i simply can't afford it.

AND this is the white Sport i almost went to look at.

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=2FMDK3AK0BBA97470&ref=VL&hash=03038f435aa8a4a0bdee0003f1f4dfa6

Lists $39,725, they are selling it for $33,725... good price.. and i can use my own financing, 2.25% for 60 months.. but.. the trade in value kills it. I am asking them if they will give me $20k for my trade. That will make the deal work for me.

Edited by jackson5