buying new 2011 Edge

New to Forum and would like to know if it's advisable to try to get best deal before letting dealer know that the the X-Plan may be an option. ???

Not only is it a bad idea it's against X plan rules. You must disclose X plan before negotiating. This is only fair to the dealer. If they want to beat X plan they can try but with X plan you get every possible incentive (even dealer cash) and you're protected from high doc fees and add-ons. Keep in mind the dealer gets an additional $400 or so from Ford on the sale so if they're forgoing that they're probably making it up somewhere else (trade-in e.g.).

Start with X plan price and negotiate from there.

Not only is it a bad idea it's against X plan rules. You must disclose X plan before negotiating. This is only fair to the dealer. If they want to beat X plan they can try but with X plan you get every possible incentive (even dealer cash) and you're protected from high doc fees and add-ons. Keep in mind the dealer gets an additional $400 or so from Ford on the sale so if they're forgoing that they're probably making it up somewhere else (trade-in e.g.).

Thanks for your reply. Being new I was not sure of the proper procedure when using the X-Plan.

Beware the doc fees and dealer markups! I just bought a Fusion with X-plan. Find out what your X-plan price is before you go in (for the options/trim you want), and know that your worst possible deal should equate to:

Out the door price = X-Plan price - Rebates/Incentives +$100 document prep fee (max) +TTL (varies by state, but is only the DMV tax and fees)

They tried to stick me with $1400 in dealer-added warranty for glass/tire protection BS. He said it was already paid for and they couldn't drop it. I told him that was a deal-breaker and thanked him for his time, getting up to leave. He backpedaled and dropped the stupid markup REAL quick. And I still got the stupid tire protection/windshield warranty!

First thing to ask the dealer is if there are any other promotions. I had to specifically request the free oil changes which were advertised on TV to get them. They played stupid until I spelled it out for them. Stealerships. Hate 'em.

Edited by Chingon

How so you find out the X-Plan price BEFORE visiting dealer???

Call an Internet sales department and tell them you have x-plan and you want the price on a particular Edge on their lot. All they need is the VIN to give you x-plan price. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

I did this and got 3 quotes for 3 vehicles on one call. Took about 5 minutes with my Sales Lady.

Edited by cal3thousand

How so you find out the X-Plan price BEFORE visiting dealer???

If you have a PIN you can look up X plan prices for in stock vehicles and get x plan pricing from the build your own feature when you access it through the pin website. But the dealer must show you the actual factory invoice with the X plan price clearly marked.

I have found in my experience that I am always able to negotiate a better price than if I had only used my x plan less any applicable rebates. This is not the case always of course but 90% of the time I have found it is not needed at all.